Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gambler59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 10:48 AM
    My dog will not eat his food unless I add a hard cooked egg to eat is that Ok
    My dog will not eat his dog food (Beneiful healthy weight) He is approx 18 lbs I have tried everything Now I finally got a flat plate put his dog food and other little flavors added olive oil a touch he nibbles but when I add a hard cooked egg he eat it all. Is it healthy for a dog to have a hard cooked egg 1Xper day. Also is it spoiling him . I am also afraid that he will get useto eating that I will want something else. Please help
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2010, 07:45 PM

I'm not a fan of Beneful, but if that's all he's going to eat, then I guess you got to get it for him. But, maybe try Wellness or Taste of the Wild. Both foods are 10x better then Beneful. Dogs have a tendency to eat better when on high quality food.

Eggs are perfectly fine for dogs. Just don't over do it. 1 a day is will give you a beautiful coat!
    leather Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2010, 06:11 PM
    I was so desperate, I tried everything to get my puppy to eat, even while on antibiotics and close supervision of vet. I boiled chicken, steamed medium grain rice, and mixed it 2/3 rice 1/3 chicken added boiled water, and 3 drops of chicken noodle soup. Mashed it until it was like soup (needs the water, he would not drink either!), cooled it, he ate it and practically the bowl it was served in! I think we are turning the corner!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2010, 06:21 PM

I would try scrambling a full egg and only adding half to his food, keep the other half in the refidgerator for the next day.

It won't hurt him at all and if he likes it then why not.

I give my pup an egg yolk every second day mixed through his food for some added protein as he is a tad underweight.
    Never feed a dog raw egg white though, always remove that before mixing through the food. Raw egg whites contain adivin which can cause biotin deficiencies.
    Cookes however, you can feed the whole egg.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Oct 25, 2010, 04:47 AM

Another problem with a raw egg white, is the whites are pretty much indigestible when left raw. But if you were to blanch the egg first, meaning to do a quick hard boil for about 30 seconds to a full minute and then shock in cold water, your dog gets the added benefit of eating the raw egg. Which is better than eating it cooked. Some people even say adding the shell (if they will eat it) is a great benefit as well. Not something I would promote, as I have never done it, nor have I researched this. But I do agree with all the others, if you can, limit the amount of egg being given. Too much egg isn't good for them. Try Shazzy's suggestion of splitting the egg in half.

I agree Benefil isn't the best brand going, I find Holistic to be the best dry kibble going. It can be a tad pricier then commercial brands, but SO much better for your dog. And since the main ingredient is protein, your dog is getting the closest thing to a natural diet you can give with out feeding the RAW or BARF diet. If you want any tips on what to feed, we have many great debates and discussion here, just type in "dog food" in the search bar and start weeding your way through the plethora of info! If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
    pjb26287 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2011, 05:45 PM
    Right now having major GI problems with my dog which started when I fed him beneful. He is now on boiled chicken breast and baked potato and canned chicken broth. He has alergies to rice or I would feed him that also. He also gets pumpkin as his medicine caused constipation. My big dog loves Nutro with chicken broth on it.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Nov 29, 2011, 06:45 PM
    Leather and Aurora Bell... regarding rapid boiling to 'kill' avidin, consider this I found online:

A 1991 assay for the Journal of Food Science detected substantial avidin activity in cooked egg white: "mean residual avidin activity in fried, poached and boiled (2 min) egg white was 33, 71 and 40% of the activity in raw egg white." The assay surmised that cooking times were not sufficient to adequately heat all cold spot areas within the egg white. Complete inactivation of avidin's biotin binding capacity required boiling for over 4 minutes.
    Durance, T. D. (May 1991). "Residual Avid in Activity in Cooked Egg White Assayed with Improved Sensitivity". Journal of Food Science 56 (3): 707–709.

Apparently 30 sec boiling is not quite long enough, and over time may lead to a biotin deficiency in the animal. (People too, but off topic. Poached eggs are not real good either, for you that is)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 29, 2011, 07:06 PM
    Hmm there you go. I've never been an egg eater, they never sat well with me both in taste and idea. Good info Paleo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog stop eating his dog food or drink but he will eat table food [ 6 Answers ]

Last week we took a long road trip and took our dog with us. On the trip he eat his food with no problems but we did give him table food at times. Now he will not eat his food unless it's mixed with table food and he will no drink from his water bowl. Can you help? Should I take him to the vet?

Should my puppy eat only dry food or can I give him canned and cooked as well? [ 27 Answers ]

Should my puppy eat only dry food or can I give him canned and cooked as well?what would you recommend for cooked food for 9 week puppy?

Dog won't eat.her food. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, sneezers here. I have a 2 year old chi. I recently brought her back to my apartment as she spent a 2-month furlough at my parents' house while I was on a trip and in the process of moving... thought that she'd be more stressed out if we had movers in and out. Regardless, at my...

My dog won't eat his food [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Rhodesian/Lab he's 13 months. I did the mistake mixing some table food with his dry food. Now he won't touch anything regardless of what I put in front of him. He snubs it. He's not lethargic, he's very active, his bowels are normal, he drinks plenty. How do correct this? Or should he see...

My dog will eat anything but his food [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. My 5 month old puppy lately is not so much into eating his puppy food anymore. It will take him a few hours to even consider eating his food but he will eat and chew on stuff outside in the yard and whatever he can find! He was chewing on an apple and even eating sunflower seeds from the...

View more questions Search