Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plamar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2005, 08:10 AM
    Cold water not coming out in washing machine
    The cold water dribbles into the washing machine when loading; I checked hose connecting machine to faucet in back. The screens were dirty; every time I do load the screens get dirty again. Is stuff coming out of the faucet? It seems to me. What does that mean? The hot water faucet is fine. My house was built in 1986
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 13, 2005, 04:43 PM
    Are you on a pump or city water? Regards, Tom
    plamar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2005, 12:59 PM
    Cold water/washing machine
    I have a well
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2005, 05:34 AM
    Well
    Hi,
    I had a pump, or well, for 28 yrs, before the county finally got water to us.
    One option is to install a filter on the pipe, ahead of the water tank(s), coming from your well.
    The other option is to have the pipe pulled, (goining down into the well), and it probably needs a new filter "point" on it.

Best of luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2005, 06:57 AM
    I wouldn't do anything until Tom gets back. He knows a lot more about plumbing than the rest of us put together.

If you are getting dirt out of the well, I would thing you would have more problems in the house.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2005, 12:53 PM
    "Is stuff coming out of the faucet? It seems to me. What does that mean? The hot water faucet is fine."

You need to get a well man out there ASAP. Your pump is pulling soil up with the water and it's entering your system. Your hot water won't br fine for very long. The dirt is entering the hot water tank and falling to the bottom. As it builds up it will get drawn up into the hot water system also. You should flush the heater out as soon as possible. Let me show you how to flush.(not drain) your heater. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of brown,(dirt) red,(rust) and some white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). The whole thing shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. You might want to consider cleaning the screens on your areators if you have a high mineral buildup. Call a pump man and have him check your well for sediment intrusion. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell coming from cold water in sink and bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I have spent a lot of money on my plumbing problem and still don't have an answer. We added a 2bedroom 1 bath addition onto our house. About a month after we started using the addition we began to have a sewer smell coming from the cold water. We removed alloy rod from water heater just in...

Washing machine water troubles [ 4 Answers ]

Hi just a question to see if anyone could help as to my problem with my washer. The last few days when running washer (cold water only) the water seems to take a very long time to fill. When the switch if flipped to warm/cold or any other combo. The water comes out fine. Just on cold cold does...

No hot water in the washing machine [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: The hot and cold lines leading into the washer are OK, but for some reason the washer only runs cold. Not warm or hot? What could be the problem?

No water from washing machine tap [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Need some help. Ive just bought a washing machine. As the man was about to the connect the hose to tap/faucet, no water comes out. However the rest of the house, the water flows fine from the taps. What could the problem be.. . Thanks in advance

Washing Machine Water Box Fittings [ 1 Answers ]

My cold water water box fitting for the washing machine is leaking. It is sweated onto a 1/2" copper pipe. I do not know how to get all the water out of the pipe to unsweat the joint. There is hardly any room to work because of the tight area and how the fitting is attached to the water box and...

View more questions Search