Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joatis1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2005, 04:35 AM
    Uniform Gift to Minors Act (UGMA)
    Hi: I want to invest my children's UGMA money in a piece of realestate. The verbiage I read clearly states the acceptability of financial vehicles, and also "property." I'm fairly certain that realestate is permissible, but I'm unable to find any language to prove this. Does anyone know anything about it?
    Thanks, J
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2005, 12:39 PM
    Joastis1:

Buying individual real estate with UGMA money may be okay, but there are real practical obstacles. It has to be structured correctly.

Most states require that UGMA/UTMA money be held in some form of trust (usually a bank or mutual fund). If you buy the real property, you would probably violate that requirement unless you use a private trust to buy the property. The fees for such an arrangement could be prohibitive.

How about using a Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT)? That's bascially a mutual fund that invests in commercial real estate. They usually pay a generous dividend (which should be reinvested) and are usually pretty stable in terms of long-term growth.
    Brummer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joatis1
    Hi: I want to invest my children's UGMA money in a piece of realestate. The verbiage I read clearly states the acceptability of financial vehicles, and also "property." I'm fairly certain that realestate is permissable, but I'm unable to find any language to prove this. Does anyone know anything about it?
    Thanks, J
    I have the same question except with an UTMA account, can the entire funds be used to invest in real estate for the minor?

Thanks in advance!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Minors having sex in ca [ 6 Answers ]

Where can I find the law in print for the state of CA on minors having sex with minors?

School Uniform Debate [ 27 Answers ]

I'm research a topic and would like to generate a bunch of arguments for data collection. Policy: Students in public, K-12 schools must wear school uniforms. Background: - Uniforms are uniquely designed for each school. (Think Japan) - Students must purchase their uniform from the school....

About UGMA account [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I set up a UGMA (Uniform Gift Minor act) account for my son (who is 12 now) 5 years ago. I wanted to take some money out from this account for him to use. Is there any rule when to take out money from UGMA account? If my son attended a summer school with $1000 fee last summer, can I...

Minors [ 1 Answers ]

In houston Texas is it illegal for a 17 year old to move out of their parents house? Or can his or her parents doing something about it?

Small uniform design company looking for contracts. Please help. [ 1 Answers ]

Please help, We make uniforms of any kind loking for somebody Who will be intrested. And if you know how to contact city officials for a bid. Help with advice. [email protected]

View more questions Search