Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maddies Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2006, 06:02 PM
    Maltese tear stains
    Hi
    Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the red tear stains on a maltese? I have tried a product called Crystal Eye by Four Paws but have not had any success. Any suggestions or home remedies?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 2, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Check with breeders, who show this type of dog? Visit a dog show, if possible or contact them through an advertisement. I like asking at my local pet store since they are still old fashioned enough not to sell me something that doesn't work.

I hope that offers a few starting points, and thanks for posting.
    Saluki-Sue Posts: 21, Reputation: 5

Jun 4, 2006, 05:05 AM
    A lot of time a food change can help... If your dog is eating a food like pedigree, Iams, alpo or anything you can get from the market, you dog is more likely to have dog oder, runny eyes and more poop. If you change to a better food with less collar added and less to no fillers... like corn and wheat. Then your pup will have less trouble with stains around the eyes. Here are a few of the foods that top the list of very good. Also if you feed lots of canned food this will also add to the problem... they are full of fat and toxcins that will make a dog's eyes tear and stain as well. So if your pup likes having something mixed with his/her food try mixing veggis, plain yogurt and or plain oatmeal.

Nutro
    Nutro Ultra
    Wellness
    Solid Gold
    Chicken Soup for dog
    Fromms

It will take a few months to see a difference and it is always better to change a dogs food slowly. 25% new food to 75% old food for 3 or 4 days... then 50/50 for a few days... then you can use up the old food with the new. But you will see a big difference.

Hope this helps, good luck
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2006, 05:20 AM
    Hi,
    Just another suggestion.
    If hair gets in a dog's eye, it causes the eye to "run".
    Keep the hair out of the dogs eyes, even if it means trimming it back some.
    Best of luck.
    magmax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 06:55 PM
    I had 2 maltese pups with bad eye stains. Some articles mentioned the minerals in the water. I began using water filtered through a high quality water filter made by NSA, and after a short time their eyes and feet from licking cleared up. The water makes better tasting coffee too.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2007, 07:50 PM
    I have heard about the minerals in the water elsewhere, but have not tried it. You can also use bottled water.

I totally disagree with the post on dog food. I have personally seen thousands of dogs on Pro Plan, showing no problems. Not near as many on Eukanuba and Iams, but no problems with them either.
    Faiths Mommy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2010, 06:54 PM

Avoid foods with artificial coloring such as dried beet pulp and foods with
    Preservatives. Keep the hair trimmed around your Maltese eyes because hair
    Rubs against there eyes causing there eyes to become irritated. A teaspoon of
    White cider vinegar can be added to your dogs drinking water to control new
    Tear stains. Filtered water sometimes works for controlling tear stains. Angels' Eyes is an excellent product and it works great. It is costly but is worth it. You can find that online by clicking here: ANGELS'
    EYES.

Maltese FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2010, 08:58 PM

Angel eyes should have been banned a long time ago.
    It contains an anti-biotic for some stupid reason, meaning that if your dog ever gets sick it won't respond as well to antibiotics because it has built up an immunity because of this product.

However, that being said this thread is from 2006 so I am closing it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Use of Tear Gas [ 5 Answers ]

The U.S. continues to fight wars with one hand tied back and blindfolded while our enemies use whatever means at their disposal. Question: If we are so concerned about damaging the Najaf Mosque, why don't we use Tear Gas? Please don't tell me that a non-lethal chemical irritant, still used by...

Crate training adult maltese [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old female maltese. She has slept in bed with me now for 4 years and has never been crated at all including night time. I am now in a position where I can't have her sleep in bed with me. I purchased a crate for her that is pleanty big for her size, she is about 5 lbs. I've put...

Clutch wear and tear... [ 3 Answers ]

When I am driving on smooth straight road at say 100 km/hr and I realize I want to stop at say 1 km ahead (assume that there is no other vehicle ahead or behind). I can continue at same speed or little less speed, and later apply break when I want to stop. But that means I waste some fuel. To...

15 week old Maltese won't eat after vet check [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone as you can see my 15 week old Maltese won't eat anymore after 2nd shots at vets. When l first brought her home from breeder she was eating just fine on Eukanoba. Ever since than its been a struggle tried sprinkiling cheerios on it that worked once than wet her food that also worked just...

Maltese that cannot be housebroken [ 1 Answers ]

My son and family received an adorable and very smart little Maltese puppy about 8 months ago. He was about 2 months old then and they only had him about 6 months before giving him to my sons older children and ex-wife due to they just could not get him housebroken. Now after about 3 months my...

View more questions Search