Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmdowdle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 05:46 PM
    1991 Acura Integra
    Hello all

My nephew has a 1991 Acura Integra. My parents have replaced the engine, the distributor, wiper motor. When attempting to start the car and it runs through its checks IF the engine light stays on it won't start. You have to "feather" the accelerator to get it to 2000 rpms before it will run right and then it may die on you without warning A family friend/mechanic that works on cars for a living has done all the mechanic work but can't figure this out. He is now trouble shooting the car for free and tying up his mechanic to do so because my nephew is a good kid and does well in school. Any suggestions would be appreciated. He did say there is a box mounted around the firewall and has "fins" on it with five wires coming from it. He said when that clicks the car won't start. You can turn off the ignition and turn it back on and then the car will start.

I appreciate all the help I can get. My parents just can't afford to sink anymore money in this car unless its necessary. They are pushing 70 and dad went back to work to raise Geno and keep him in sports and such. Thank you for all your help in advance

Tmdowdle
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Performing the tests laid out in sections A and B below will help you to quickly identify the problem:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

If the Check Engine Light stays on at times, the ECM (computer) may be bad; therefore, run the K-Test first. If there's a problem with the ECM it affects the main relay (the clicking sound you hear). At this point, I suspect the ECM or the main relay.

Sep 12, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    Performing the tests laid out in sections A and B below will help you to quickly identify the problem:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

If the Check Engine Light stays on at times, the ECM (computer) may be bad; therefore, run the K-Test first. If there's a problem with the ECM it affects the main relay (the clicking sound you hear). At this point, I suspect the ECM or the main relay.

Hello,

I had a person look at the car. Jamey is a nissan/mazda man but he looked at the car about five minutes and said the same thing you did. However he said a couple other things that I would like to ask you if it makes sense. He said that we need to ask the mechanic that installed the different engine what honda it came out of and if we can get that computer. He seems to think that an integra computer won't work properly on a legend engine. Is this correct thinking?

Tmdowdle
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Absolutely. The ECM (and harness) must work with your engine, transmission, main relay, main electrical harness, sensors, fuse boxes, etc. There's so much more to properly doing these swaps than most people realize. That's why many of them fail, even for pretty good mechanics. All of this needs to be carefully thought out, before beginning the swap, because the vehicle ultimately has to pass emissions inspection. Close is not good enough, when your are working with sophisticated, computer-based electrical systems.

You may need to replace the ECM, ECM wiring harness, main electrical harness, fuse boxes, main relay, and main relay harness. Scope it out carefully.

It's much easier to drop in an identical rebuilt engine/transaxle that came in the car.

Sep 16, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Ok Texasgreasemonkey,

I tested the computer by using the jump wire method as in the manual. I really don't know what you mean by the K test. However, here is the results of the computer test. When the jumper wire was installed my nephew turned the ignition to on. I am assuming that on is when the insturment panel lights comes on. The led flashed one time very quickly and the nothing. Right as the switch was turned on that is. I am going to make a MAJOR assumption... the computer like you told me is bad. I have made arrangements to get one about 130 miles from here. If this flash did not mean the computer is bad I am stumped.

Thank you in advance for all your help. This thing is driving me nuts. I have to get the Honda fixed so I can put my grandam in the garage and tear it down so I can put valve gaskets on it and figure out what is up with the front end. But alas. One problem at a time. :)

Tmdowdle

Quote Originally Posted by tmdowdle
    Hello all

My nephew has a 1991 Acura Integra. My parents have replaced the engine, the distributor, wiper motor. When attempting to start the car and it runs through its checks IF the engine light stays on it won't start. You have to "feather" the accelerator to get it to 2000 rpms before it will run right and then it may die on you without warning A family friend/mechanic that works on cars for a living has done all the mechanic work but can't figure this out. He is now trouble shooting the car for free and tying up his mechanic to do so because my nephew is a good kid and does well in school. Any suggestions would be appreciated. He did say there is a box mounted around the firewall and has "fins" on it with five wires coming from it. He said when that clicks the car won't start. You can turn off the ignition and turn it back on and then the car will start.

I appreciate all the help I can get. My parents just can't afford to sink anymore money in this car unless its necessary. They are pushing 70 and dad went back to work to raise Geno and keep him in sports and such. Thank you for all your help in advance

Tmdowdle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No spark, acura integra 95 non-vtec [ 3 Answers ]

I have been going crazy checking everything possible, when I try to start my car a check engine light comes on. It is code 15 which is ignition output signal. The engine cranks and the fuel pump primes. I checked my coil for resistance and voltage and it passed. I tested the ICM (igniter) for...

91 acura integra ls battery drain? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 91 acura integra ls. It runs great and everything functions basically very good. But one day my battery died and I bought a new one. Then after about 3 days the new one died. I was thinking it was the alternator. We used a test light on the battery to see if there was any type of drain on...

1991 acura integra [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have another question for you. I have a 1991 Acura Integra with a idling problem. I've check the vacuum lines they were all good and I've also change my idle air control valve three times to make sure that wasn't the problem. I put another engine in the car but the person I bought the car off...

View more questions Search