Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dine Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2006, 06:55 AM
    Baby Boy
    I have a 1 1/2 year old boy who eats stones and soil. I have tried giving him liver meat but he refuses to eat it. Why is he doing this and am worried that it might bring a problem in the long run.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 30, 2006, 09:06 AM
    You need to take your son to a pediatrician. It may only be a 1 1/2 year old phase, but just in case. There is a disorder called PICA where people consume huge amounts of non-dietary substances such as ice chils, soil, sand, laundry starch, clay and plaster, and even strange things as hair, toilet paper, matchheads, innertubes, mothballs, and charcoal. If this is the case it is a compulsive disorder that MAY result from mineral deficiency. Another clue comes from a variation on pica called geophagy - "eating dirt" - that affects many types of animals including humans. This disorder is not as rare as it sounds. My mother-in-law is a 4th grade teacher and has seen this on numerous occasions.

Your pediatrician can run some blood tests to rule out this disorder and give better insight into what is going on.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 3, 2006, 07:01 AM
    EXCELLENT! Perfect answer J. I could not have stated it better. I would just like to add that pin worms can be easily picked up from eating soil/dirt, Make sure to have this checked out by your child's doctor also.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 3, 2006, 08:54 AM
    Forgot about pinworms, just had that lesson in Microbiology too. Many other kind of worms can be found in soil too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 12 years, well a year and a half ago we quit using birthcontrol and decided we would leave it up devine intervention. My birthday is July 15, 1973 and my husbands is July 2, 1973. Can anyone tell me if they see anything in the future as far having children?

Having a baby [ 9 Answers ]

I would really like to have a baby but I understood that if me and my partner have the same blood type we will not be able to have a baby. I am AB positive and my partner is also the same. Will we not be able to have a baby as we have the same blood type My partner have been having...

Having a baby [ 11 Answers ]

My boy friend and I are talking adout having kids after we get married but he has had a vasectomy so we are looking in to all the options I would just like to hear if any one have been in this situation and if so what options they were given so if any one has any sugestions we could use you opions

View more questions Search