Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2006, 11:44 AM
    After winXP reinstall, screen looks like Safe Mode? 64 bit? How do I fix it?
    I had to reinstall Windows XP on my parents computer and now, everything is HUGE! It looks like Safe Mode but with the background display and everything else in the XP style. Its like a 64 bit gaming system or something...

How do I get it back to normal?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2006, 11:48 AM
    Most likely the cause is that Windows doesn't have the drivers for your video card in its list of drivers. You'll need to download them from the video card manufacturer or the computer maker's web site.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2006, 11:48 AM
    You need to install the drivers for your video adapter. It probably was not recognized during the install so it defaulted to standard SVGA.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2006, 12:01 PM
    Hmmm.. that's weird because everything that theyhave installed came with the computer.

So, do I have to get it online first then search for the updates? Is there anyway to find out what video card they have?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2006, 12:08 PM
    It may be displayed in the Device Manager: Right-click the My Computer icon and select Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager. Click on the "+" beside Display Adapters

If a default value is there then maybe you can check the computer's documentation for the specifications of the video card (make and model). If all fails you have to open it up and read it off the card.

There are a couple of ways to get the drivers: the best is to get that computer online and go to the sites I mentioned. If you can't then get the drivers burnt to a CD or transferred to a USB key from another internet-connected PC.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2006, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle
    Hmmm.. thats wierd because everything that theyhave installed came with the computer.

So, do i have to get it online first then search for the updates? Is there anyway to find out what video card they have?
    That doesn't mean that Windows has the drivers for it. They could have installed the drivers separately. So when you reinstalled, without the drivers, it wasn't recognized.
    Whitey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2006, 04:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle
    I had to reinstall Windows XP on my parents computer and now, everything is HUGE! It looks like Safe Mode but with the background display and everything else in the XP style. Its like a 64 bit gaming system or something....

How do I get it back to normal?

Why don't you check your display settings, they may have changed. You need 256 colors
    Davidmex Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2006, 10:18 AM
    Like they say you could visit the webpage of the manufacturer and search for model of PC and look for downloads and download the video card driver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WIN XP freezes at Safe Mode (on logon screen) [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Windows XP Pro Safe Mode problem. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop (nearly three months old). First let me say I religiously keep my antivirus up to date. I have Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE, Spy Sweeper, PestPatrol, Microsoft AntiSpyware and I use HijackThis. I...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Update: Safe Mode freezes at logon screen post [ 1 Answers ]

Hello once more, I have an update on my Safe Mode freezing problem (the original post is below). I was able finale able to boot into Safe Mode. Even though successful how it did it it still raises a question. I will explain below. If you read my original post at the top of this thread you...

Safe Mode [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I know how to access "safe mode", and have used it a couple of times to correct problems, following instructions, but can someone explain please, exactly what it is? Thank you.

Safe mode [ 1 Answers ]

I'm using ME 2000 and cannot get out of safe mode, even after selecting normal during the start up. How can disable the start up mode and return to normal?

View more questions Search