Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajya9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 09:04 AM
    visa staus change from h4 to f1
    Hi,

I am currently on H4 visa.I would like to change my visa status to F1 and study masters here in U.S.Do I have to go back to my country India for change of visa status or is it possible to change my visa status with out again going to india.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 11:34 AM

You can go to school on H-4 visa.

If you do want to change to F-1, you can file change of status but if you travel outside US, you must apply for a new F-1 in order to return.
    rajya9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Hi,

Thanks,I want to work on CPT as I am not sure of a H1 visa.I am trying for admission in a university in California.

Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    You can go to school on H-4 visa.

If you do want to change to F-1, you can file change of status but if you travel outside US, you must apply for a new F-1 in order to return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1- H1 (dual staus/1040 NR) ? [ 24 Answers ]

I have read threads on this forum and if somebody can help me, I just want to be clear on this. I was on F1 from Aug 2001 to Octo 2004 (OPT Dec - 2003 to October 2004), I worked on OPT from Jan 2004 up to October 2004 and change my status to H1 from October 1st. Now, since my H1 status for 2004 was...

L2 visa status change to student visa [ 5 Answers ]

HOw do I go about changing my daughters L2 visa to a student visa as she wants to start college in the fall, Her L2 visa expires in June 2009

Change from B2 visa to F1 visa then to J1 or H1 visa for residency [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guide me I m n US on B1/ B2 visa for USMLE xm.instaed of going back to india & coming again for hospital interview( more costly )... should I change visa status B2 to F1 ? Afterwords for MD medicine I hv to take J1 or H1 visa.. so how this B2 to F1 change will affect J1 or H1...

J-1 visa tax exemption, change status to H-1B visa? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I'm from Thailand and holding J-1 visa. For J-1 visa I can exempt tax for 2 years. I'm wondering how's tax payment after 2 years in two different status. 1. If I extend J-1 visa, do I need to pay tax back for the first two years? 2. If I change to H-1B, do I need to pay tax back...

View more questions Search