Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smithp4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2006, 08:39 PM
    Can Hampton Bay remote control be discarded
    :rolleyes: Yes another Hampton Bay remote question. I have one existing switch controlling the fan. And One existing dimmer controlling the light. The box at the ceiling having white (neutral), a Hot (Black) and a Hot (Pink). The previous fan connected Black to black, white to white, and pink to blue. The new Hampton Bay with remote receiver having only the red and white wires to be connected to the existing wires. This remote is a feature I would rather not use however as some one else said you then have no ability to reverse the direction of the fan. I want to use both my light dimmer and fan switch at the wall. How do I go about this. Keep in mind the fan and light wires Blue white and Black are assessable, as they need to be connected to the opposite side of the receiver.
    Paul
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2006, 08:18 AM
    What wires does the fan have going to the receiver? Black, blue, and white?

Apr 27, 2006, 07:28 PM
    The wires from the fan/light going to the receiver are blue, back, white the wire from the receiver to the house wiring is supposed to be white and red. I wired it today without the receiver Black to Black, White to white, Blue to Pink. It works fine with the wall switches. Light dims as they should, and fan works. The only issue now is there is no fan speed control. Which would have been controlled by the remote. I also found the fan reverse switch. Which some one else said it didn't have. So I guess the only question left is Without using the remote, can I control the speed of the fan with a different wall switch on this Hampton Bay 740 154?
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2006, 11:55 PM
    YOu can use a wall switch.. . Or would you like to use the remote to control the fan?
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2006, 11:55 PM
    And does the fan have a pullchain?

Apr 29, 2006, 05:05 PM
    The fan does not come with a pull chain, as speed control is supposed to be done by remote which I didn't connect up. I prefer to do it by the wall switch can I set up some kind of dimmer to slow the fan down? I read some where that fans were not to be run like this. Could this damage something?
    Paul Smith
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2006, 07:13 PM
    You could buy a hard-wired fan speed control and use that.. . Or, just wire the remote receiver to control the fan motor only. Wire the light to the dimmer circuit.

Ceiling fan lighting - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Remote Video/fan Remote Control [ 16 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Video & Fan Remote Control (Model #UR8050T). It has been working fine for about 2 years until it recently began malfunctioning. It still operates the television, but the use of the fan/light features has stopped working. It will not turn the fan on or off, and the light is...

Hampton Bay Remote Control Installation [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to understand the installation procedures for installing a remote control into a Hampton Bay (Mod. 197 878) Grammercy Fan. The reomote receiver has a total of 6 wires. One is the antenna wire, and that speaks for itself. There are black, white and blue wires on one side, and I...

Hampton bay remote control ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Windward II 54” ceiling fan and fluorescent lamp with remote control. I replaced the original fluorescent circline lamp with a new one. Now the light won’t turn won’t stay on or dim and the fan operates properly. Any ideas?

Hampton Bay Fan remote control install [ 1 Answers ]

I have purchased a Hampton Bay ceiling fan 198-374 and a wireless remote 191-691. I am sure they are both campatable. But, the booklet for the fan has a warning to reduce the risk of fire do not use this fan with any solid-state fan speed control device. I have installed many ceiling fans but this...

View more questions Search