Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AHG Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Remove Outlook Express
    I read a thread answer dated Jan 18, 2005, 10:06 AM on this subject from a member named Wendy225 who presented herself as someone with experience who worked at a computer repair facility. She explained in detail how to remove Outlook Express. I followed those directions fastidiously. Now I can't open Outlook, being advised via a message that Outlook needs Outlook Express, at least ver 4.01 to work as there are shared files. Having spent the time to follow these directions I'm most frustrated at having spent a piece of my life going through this fire drill to no avail. Indeed the Microsoft website appears to confirm the requirement for OE to be present. Can someone please advise? Thanks.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 15, 2008, 03:22 PM
    It's slightly unclear what you are asking here.
    Yes Outlook does share components with OE.

If it's how to get your Outlook working again, then it's a simple case of reinstalling OE, or you could consider using an alternate e-mail client such as Thunderbird ( Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox )

If you need further information please give us details of your machine OS and spec.

Jun 15, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Wow, thanks for such a quick response Curleyben. I'm running XP Pro on a Toshiba Satellite, P4 2.40Ghz machine w/1Gb RAM and 30Gb HD. The whole reason I was attempting to delete OE was to reclaim some space on what is today considered a small HD.

I really must stay with Outlook as those in my group also use it for a variety of purposes. (I'm a great fan of Firefox and have been using 3.0 beta for a month now with absolutely no problems; looking forward to Tuesday's official download.).

I tried reinstalling OE from my original Office XP CD but received a message that it was a older version. So I guess I need to get OE from MSFT? Can you please advise on that?

I'm wondering just what all that was from Wendy225 (the thread I originally referred to can be found at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/advice/t-6553.html). It all seemed so plausible and I found it elsewhere as well in what appeared to be a credible source.

Looking forward to your response, and many thanks again for your time on Sunday.

~Allan

Jun 15, 2008, 04:46 PM
    One other thing Ben, I have IE7 on my system now so a simple download and reinstall of OE6 is not feasible. I've tried it and get a message that I have a later version of IE. Yes, true. As I backed up my Registry prior to removing OE6, it occurs to me I might return my Registry to its prior state, then rename everything that I named "old" to it's prior suffix, and see what happens. What do you think?

Jun 15, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Well Ben, I've resolved it. Restored the Registry to pre this debacle, renamed the "*.old" files to their original suffixes and well as the three folders, and all is well. Whew!

Again, thanks for your input and sorry to have taken your time.

By the way, I'm in Seattle WA, USA, and it seems you're in the UK. Funny, but I'm a director of a UK technology company in Market Harbourough (south of Leicester). What a small world.

~Allan
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 15, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AHG
    She explained in detail how to remove Outlook Express. I followed those directions fastidiously. Now I can't open Outlook, being advised via a message that Outlook needs Outlook Express, at least ver 4.01 to work as there are shared files.
    I'm glad you got this fixed. I was going to suggest a System Restore or a repair of Office.

I do have to wonder about how fatidiously you followed the instructions. You seem to have ignored instructions at least twice in posting your question. Your initial post was in the Forum Help area where there are instructions to only post questions about using this site. You also posted a question by e-mail ignoring instructions not to ask questions that way.

I'm just suggesting that you need to be more attentive to instructions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mcrosoft outlook and outlook express [ 3 Answers ]

I am not able to understand the concept of MS outlook and outlook express.I want to know the difference.And how to use outlook as I am a beginner.

Outlook express [ 2 Answers ]

The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'HTTP (1)', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Outlook Express to Outlook conversion gave messages wrong "Date Received." [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, All! I used Outlook's Import capbility to import everything from Outlook Express: mail settings, folders, their messages, etc. The import process reported successful import of my huge sets of folders, subfolders and their 11,000+ messages... however: The Good: Some messages were...

Outlook express [ 13 Answers ]

hi pals i have installed the outlook express now it asks me the incomming server and outgoing server if i want to access my yahoo or gmail mails then what is my pop server and smtp server?? :confused:

Outlook Express [ 2 Answers ]

Many times when I receive an email containing pictures (not as attachments), I only can see a square box with a red X in it. Is there a way to correct this problem? It does not happen all the time.

View more questions Search