Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taxman1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Roll Top Desk
    My Wife locked the keys to our roll top desk inside the desk. How can I get it open?
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Try a Google search skeleton keys,roll top desk -- lock smith,roll top desk

Maybe if all else fails a hack saw blade can cut off the latch

Slide in under roll top and saw off the metal piece

Or try to drill out the tumbler section and replace it
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 11:09 PM
    Is this a newer roll top desk or is it an antique? Also, where inside the desk are the keys and what kind of lock is it that is locking the desk?

Apr 12, 2008, 07:48 PM
    It's a newer desk about 2 - 3 years old. I believe the keys are in one of the drawers in the top part of the desk. I don't really know what type of lock is on the desk. If I remember correctly, the key resembled an old fashion skeleton key that throws the latch down into the desk top.

I tried to slide a putty knife between the roll top and the desk top to see if I could release the latch but it was too tight and the knife didn't fit.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 12:32 AM
    Is it possible that there might be a store in your vicinity that might have an identical or similar type desk possibly with the same kind of lock? You might be able to buy or borrow a key or keys from them. Also, a lot of hardware stores have various kinds of skeleton keys already in stock. If you remember what your key looked like, you might be able to find one there. You might try doing the same thing at a locksmith's place of business. Just some ideas for you. If a locksmith has to come out to your home, that could be very expensive.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 13, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Does key look like this? Key available here for $3.95

eBay Express: REPLACEMENT KEY FOR ROLL TOP DESK LOCKS D1902 - Description
    Attached Images

Apr 15, 2008, 05:44 AM
    I really appreciate everyone's help with my key problem. I did a Google search and found it is quite easy to get replacement keys. One source offers a ring of different sizes and patterns for only $10.95. I think I'll try the hardware store first and see what they have to offer.

Thanks again and best wishes to all:)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 07:56 AM
    If none of the above works:
    I would try picking with an "L" formed on end of wire, sounds like an easy one to pick.
    It needs to be strong enough to turn and small enough to fit in lock.

Apr 16, 2008, 06:34 AM
    The first attempt at solving this problem was to try and pick the lock like you suggested Stratmando. However, I think the pattern of the key is closer to the one hkstroud provided above. I like to try and resolve issues like this with a resourceful idea if possible so I may ask my nextdoor neighbor to help me make a t-shaped key out of some scrap material; he's pretty handy with tools. Thanks for the thought.
    zippyzippity Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 10:37 AM
    How did your situation work out? I have the same problem, except that I have no wife to blame -- the desk's roll-top slammed shut and locked itself, honest!

I inherited the reproduction desk from my dad and can't remember if there was a key with it. If I have a key at all, it's in one of the inside drawers.

Dad said he's pretty sure the key was a skeleton-type. I've bought about 5 different skeleton keys from various hardware stores, but none fit.

I tried a hacksaw , but even the tiniest, skinniest one doesn't fit in the open space very well, and the piece that needs cutting seems to be several layers thick -- could take a long time and a lot of strength to cut.

I wish I had a crafty neighbor to ask to help, but I don't. Anyone have other ideas?
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 12:06 PM
    zippyzippity, can you provide picture of keyhole. Does it have a pin in the center, needing a key with hole in end? Doublesided? Don't cut it yet.

May 17, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    zippyzippity, can you provide picture of keyhole. Does it have a pin in the center, needing a key with hole in end? Doublesided? Don't cut it yet.
    I tried to attach an image of the keyhole, but what I have is too big to send via this site (and I don't know how to resize it). I could e-mail it to you privately, though, if that would help.

No pin in the center, just a hole. Not sure how to tell if the key should be doublesided or not. Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Uber Member

May 17, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Does it have a hole with 1 slot, or does it also have a slot on the other side?
    Does it have tumblers(little pins that are spring loaded?
    Email is fine.

May 17, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Stratmando, I only know how to e-mail the photo if I send it from my personal Yahoo acct. Can you message me privately to give me your e-mail address? I'm new to this board and hope I'm not vioating any protocols by asking this.

One keyhole -- not sure what you mean by slots in this context. Can't tell if there are tumblers or not. Sorry!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unlocking drawers on roll top desk [ 20 Answers ]

I have a roll top desk that I purchased in 1988 or 89. I can neither get the top to roll down nor open the side drawers. There are two keys - one of which opens a small compartment on the top of the desk - the other unlocked the roll top. The roll top is now stuck in an opened position and I...

Cutler roll top desk [ 1 Answers ]

How can I tell if this is the genuine article?

Roll top desk [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently purchased a small roll top desk at an auction. The insert with the cubby holes is not the origianl one and not the same kind of wood as the desk. I'm looking for a site where I can purchase the cubby hole insert. Thanks for your help Craftyone:p

Movie title? Roll top desk,causing time travel [ 1 Answers ]

Movie kind of like lake house but it is a roll top desk in which a man and woman communicate with letters through the desk. Not sure when movie was made.

Roll Top Desk [ 2 Answers ]

How does one unlock the drawers? The rolltop lock does not function and the drawers on the left are open. The locking mechanisms are spring loaded hooks that hook over the back of the drawers when they are closed. How do I get the right drawers open?

View more questions Search