Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drcajjr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Electric Range Wiring
    Thanks ahead of time... I live in a home built in 1981 and the electrical wiring to the old
    Top range consists of three wires ( black, white and a copper bare wire). I bought a new
    Electric range that has connections in the back for four wires. My questions are:
    1. do I purchase a three plug outlet for the new range?
    2. do I use the copper wire for the ground wire (in the middle)?
    3. will I leave the green screw on the range alone (no wire connection)
    4. a schematic or picture would surely speak a thousand words
    5. is 50 amps enough for the outlet and cord?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 12:52 PM
    My answers in bold:

1. do I purchase a three plug outlet for the new range?
    Yes

2. do I use the copper wire for the ground wire (in the middle)?
    Yes, the bare wire will act as the neutral and equipment ground, and will connect to center silver terminal.

3. will I leave the green screw on the range alone (no wire connection)
    No, there needs to be a jumper from the neutral connection to the green screw.

4. a schematic or picture would surely speak a thousand words
    Sorry

5. is 50 amps enough for the outlet and cord?
    No more than 50 amps, if the wire is #6, and a 40 amp breaker if wire is #8.
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 04:18 PM
    This practice, while no longer allowed for NEW installations, was done for many years with no problems. If the 3 wire cable is in place, it is allowed to be used, by the NEC.

No existing installation is mandated to be upgraded to meet the code in effect, only to meet the code that was in effect at the time of construction.

I can't say for Canada. Best to check your local code anyway, as I always suggest.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Have to agree with tk, Where I live, 4 wire dryer and range connections are for New and Remodel.
    I also wonder why it took so long to stop stealing neutral from ground, Just been luck, never had problem or shock because of 3 wire.
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Since you imply that people could be severely injured by existing appliances wired with the neutral and equipment ground as one common wire, could you explain exactly the details of how this could occur?

Describe the path the current will take to cause a shock.

Are there any statistics on injuries caused by this wiring method?

Keep in mind that the 4 wire circuit was implemented by the NFPA NEC in 1996, and before then, nearly every electric range and dryer in the USA was wired using the three wire method.

If anyone ever was hurt by this arrangement,or if the likelihood of existing installations being a possible hazard, there should be more of a concerted effort to have this wiring method removed and replaced for the millions of existing appliances.

Hospitals should be over run with injuries and fatalities, and only in the USA.

Has Canada always used the 4 wire method? If not, have they implemented a country wide plan to eradicate the 3 wire appliance circuits?

Bhayne, while expert opinion is always welcomed, the offering of statements that at least your child won't be injured, without factual backup to laypeople is similar to yelling "Fire" in a crowed theater.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electric range [ 2 Answers ]

The digital clock works, the timer works, even the lights come one indicating a burner or oven is on BUT the neither the burners not the oven heats.

Hot point electric range voltage [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a 2 year old hotpoint electric range. Everything is working fine, but my electrition came by, put his meter on it and said that voltage was showing up on the steel panels. Not full voltage I believe something like 54 volts, enough to give a small shock. He says some voltage is seeping...

Can I connect a 240 volt electric range to a 30 amp breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I'm renovating a rental unit and removed a 3 in one appliance (bar fridge/2 stove elements/sink). It was hooked up to 10/3 copper wire on a 30 amp breaker. I want to install a 24 inch electric stove/oven in it's place. I want to hook up a 24 inch electric stove/range to 10 gauge 3 copper wire...

GE Electric Range [ 6 Answers ]

Help! My electric Range is 3 years old. The range timer and clock are working,however the oven nor the surface units heat up. Does this sound like something I can repair myself or should I be calling a repair person?

White powder under electric range burner [ 4 Answers ]

We have an electric range, about 10 years old. Where one of the burner elements plugs in to the "socket" (under the stove top) there is a very fine white powder that collects under ONE of the element prongs. If we wipe it off, it forms again. It doesn't collect under the other prong of that...

View more questions Search