Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parakeet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2006, 02:45 AM
    Important interview
    Hi

Ive got a really big interview coming up and I'm already getting nervous. Are there any technqiues I can use to seem cool as a cucumber? I want to be able to communicate clearly, answer questions and be dream candidate!

Its for a teaching job, if that helps

Thanks heaps
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 31, 2006, 07:32 AM
    Well, imagining the interviewer in his or her underwear is an old standby that really works.

Remember; the interviewer is an average joe just like you. Be friendly and polite and not too talkative. Try to focus on answering the questions as concicely as possible. We interviewers hate ramblers.

And when talking about things you enjoy - or are good at, be matter of fact about it so as not to make the person think you're trying to impress him.

Bottom line: Don't try to come off as the Dream Candidate; which is what rambling on, or showing excitement, or hits of bragging can do.

... just some thoughts...
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

May 31, 2006, 08:01 AM
    The best thing you can do is be prepared to answer questions.

Their going to ask you how you gained your experience and how it applies to the position they have to fill. They'll probably want specific examples that show how you tackled particular problems or dealt with an issue, and how you think that can be applied to their situation.

Unfortunately, there is rarely ever a "dream candidate" for a job. There are many different opinions and everyone gets a slightly different first impression. Ask 10 HR people about your resume or interview and you'll get 10 different answers about what's "right".
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 31, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Every answer you have here so far is perfect! I would just like to add one thing

Look them in the eye!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2006, 03:03 PM
    Let them sell you on why you should work for them, answer their questions directly but don't tell more than you are asked.

If there is a pause, let there be one, often interviewers do this to see if you will talk and talk and say things that may not be positive.

My worst question ever for was an engineering jobs some many years ago, they asked me if I was a tree what kind would I want to be and why ?

Never did figure that one out.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2006, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Well, imagining the interviewer in his or her underwear is an old standby that really works.
    Sorry rick, but I got to disagree with you on this.

I tried it once, it didn't help me at all.

Although it could be said I lack an imagination, but that is a discussion for another time.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

May 31, 2006, 08:37 PM
    Be prepared with a couple of questions for them as well. It shows that you've taken more than a passing interest in the job. I've been to a few interviews where I've been asked "so, do you have any questions for me?" and felt really awkward when I realized I didn't.

Even if it's just general questions about the city you'll be working in (if you're moving), this type of question demonstrates that you're the kind of person with the initiative to think ahead. Also, it puts them in the hot seat for a bit, so you can relax and listen to their responses.
    parakeet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Wow, heaps of helpful hints there, thanks to everyone that has taken the time out to respond. I can see the importaance of trying to relax, letting them sell themselves to me as much as I try to sell myself to them. That's worked when I've not been really supere duper keen to get the job or had options/choices. I'm struggling with this one as it's a great opportunity and (so far) the only interview lined up!

But thanks again

All help appreciated!
    nadavaluru Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2006, 02:34 AM
    You should be spontaneous.dont be confuse be brave.go with free mind.feel you like "I AM SECOND TO NONE".
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2006, 04:34 AM
    HI, parakeet,
    For a teaching job? I was a high school math teacher for 13 yrs, before changing careers.
    Your credentials, or grades and subjects prior, and if you have any previous teaching experience will be discussed, and also the college you attended. I assume this is a Public School job?
    Anyway, SMILE, SMILE, and SMILE some more. Show you are outgoing, and friendly.
    Keep your answers short and to the point. Be prepared to talk about lesson plans, how you do them, and when. Also, questions like, what can you do for these children?
    Are you familiar with the textbooks they are using? That would be a big plus.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 7, 2006, 10:10 AM
    My advice about interviews is what I have done... go to as many of them as possible, even for jobs you wouldn't take if offered. Having done this, so far I have been offered every job I ever really wanted!

Just remember... the resume is meant to get you the interview... and the interview is meant to get you the job... so it behooves you to get good at it.

Good luck, Parakeet!
    Dreamchaser Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2006, 02:28 AM
    Confidence... If you apear to know what you are doing and are confident that you are good at it, you will be fine. Believe in yourself, there is no reason to be nervous, you have what it takes... Every day you should look in the mirror and tell yourself positive things, here are some things I use...

A 30 second commercial to ME...
    I am a unique individual, a new kind of person the world has never known before. I was born to do well. I was born to succeed. I was born to bless others lives. I was born to be great because I have got what it takes to be great.

I am a child of God

I am enthusiastic

I am optimistic

I am a change embracer

I am a giver not a taker

I am organized

I am a hard worker

I am happy

I am a master of myself

I am a leader

I am a big thinker

And, blessed as I am with all of these talents, there is not a thing in the world I can NOT do. With my God as my partner, I will never fail.

Optimists'Creed
    I promise to myself...
    To be strong that nothing can disturb my peace of mind.

To talk health, happiness, and prosperity to every person I meet.

To make all my friends feel there is something in them.

To look at the sunny side of everything and make optimism come true.

To think only of the best, to work only for the best and to expect only the best.

To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own.

To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.

To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature I meet a smile.

To give so much time to the improvement of myself that I have no time to criticize others.

To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble.

To think as much with my heart as with my head.

And to remember to talk possitive to myself every time a negative thought runs through my mind...

Your attitude and Possitive self talk...
    Only the limits of our mindset can determine the boundries of our future.

He who does not hope to win has already lost.

Dream to be more than what you are. You can stretch your own horizon.

The only thing you can change is yourself, but sometimes that changes everything.

Experience is the name everyone gives their mistakes.

You cannot fix what you will not face.

If you are on the road to nowhere, find another road!

The best compensation for doing things is the ability to do more.

Patience is not the ability to wait, but the attitude while you are waiting.

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it, if you can dream it, you can become it.

Wisdom is better than strength.

Before taking steps, the wiseman knows the object and the end of his journey.

Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence.

You are what you think you are all day long.

Anyone can start, but only a thoroughbred will finish!

Even if you are on the right track, you will get ran over if you just sit there.

It is so hard when I have to and so easy I want to.

Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you.

It's NOT what you are that holds you back......... It's what you THINK you are not.

Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later.
    ATTITUDE
    No matter what you do in life, if you have a positive attitude, you will always be 100%. According to the english alphabet system, if you assign a numerical value to each letter (1-26), attitude will equal 100% A=1 T=20 T=20 I=9 T=20 U=21 D=4 E=5

ATTITUDE.......

Aim to stay in focus. Take control of all your negative thoughts. Transform all challenges into opportunities. Inspire someone with your faith today. Team up with other winning people. Understand your own uniqueness. Dream to be more than you are. Experience enthusiasm; it is essential for success. I feel superfantastic!!

REPEAT AFTER ME!

I am important. I love myself unconditionally. I am a good person. I have many good qualities to offer. It is okay to make a mistake. I deserve to be happy. I respect myself. I am a caring person. I am capable and confident. I am handling my problems effectively each day. I am prepared to do my best. I walk by FAITH not by sight. I have a purpose in life and I refuse to wait until tomorrow to do what I CAN do today, because tomorrow is not guaranteed. I will succeed at whatever I choose to do. The loudest voice I hear is my own and I am listening closely. I am thankful for the adversities which have crossed my pathway, for they have taught me tolerance, sympathy, self-control, perserverance, and some other virtues I might not have ever known. The only person who can change me is me, the only person who can make me HAPPY is me, the only person who can make the best of me and my life is me. I have been storing my energy and I am now ready to handle change. I'd make a lousy anybody else, but I can make the ME in the world. Today I will be judged by my efforts and by my possitive attitude, which will ensure that every day is a SUPER_FANTASTIC day. I do not live my life on luck, I live my life by having FAITH, Persistence, and a POSITIVE MINDSET. Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I am enhancing my skills daily. I cannot get to Friday until I step on Monday. Every day is an opportunity and I will make the best of every one. My attitude today determines my success tomorrow. I will convert any threats into opportunity for growth. I will be a solution to the problem and not be a part of the problem. New jobs and opportunities are presenting themselves to me. I believe in others and I believe in myself. I wake up every morning and smile at myself and everyone I see all day long, I smile even when things are not going my way. Enthusiasm distinguishes a championship team from an average team, the mysterious something that turns an average person into an outstanding individual, it is the burning desire that communicates commitment, determination, and spirit. The last four letters in enthusIASM mean I Am Seriously Motivated. I am enthusiastic and I am putting myself in motion. I am staying focused I have written my goals out and keep them where I can see them and I am constantly taking inventory on my achievements. I will not tell the world what I can do, I will show it, I will let my actions speak for themselves. I observe children and try to see the world through their eyes and never let the kid in me die. I will help those less fortunate than myself and not expect anything in return. I count my blessings daily and give thanks to the one who gave them all... God.

If ye have faith....nothing shall be impossible unto you. (matthew 17:20) Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you. (mathew 7:7)

spirit*

S stands for Self Awareness P stands for Purpose and Passion I stands for Initiative R stands for Respect and Relationships I stands for Insight T stands for Trust.

Last but not least, I will share a poem I personally wrote with you... I have been told it gives a lot of people strength and encouragement, I hope it will offer the same ofr you... you may view it any time here: http://www.poetry.com/Publications/d...43&BN=999&PN=1

Catseye

Tame as a whisper,
    Wild as the wind...
    Running through the night,
    surviving to the end...
    With elegance I travel
    through the foothills of life...
    Eagar to make sense of my existence,
    hoping to outlive time...
    Gaze into my eyes,
    can you see the splendor they behold?
    Look deep into my spirit can you see the strength of my soul?
    I am without restrictions,
    I have no boundries or limitations,
    No borders or precincts.
    I am self-governed, I am sovereignty, and I am independence.
    I am liberty, I am freedom, I am exquisiteness, I am beauty...
    I am me.

I wish you peace love and happiness throughout your lifes journey! Ever need a friend, I will be here for u!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How important is sex? [ 11 Answers ]

I have found a great girl who is honest, trustworthy, caring, and has a great head on her shoulders. She is exactly the type you can settle down with. I love everything about her except the sex. She is very attractive but I am not into her sexually. I am a very sexual person. My last...

Have you all forgotten this important day ? [ 5 Answers ]

Yes it's that time of year again, System Administrator Appreciation Day. So what are you getting your sysadmin?

Job Interview [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently retired from the Navy after 30 years. Monday I have a job interview with a defense contractor that specializes in program development that various companies use. I have a friend that works for the company and he told me that one of their standard questions is to give them 2-3...

Really important, need advice! [ 7 Answers ]

Delete...

Job Interview [ 1 Answers ]

I have a job interview coming up and I was wondering what kind of outfit should I wear? Should I wear a skirt or blue jeans or what? Thanks

View more questions Search