Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sirruia4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2015, 10:46 AM
    Personal Representative to grandfather
    Hello,
    My grandfather died in a state hospital in Maryland,in 1950.

My grandmother, my father and my aunt are also deceased

My grandfather had no will.

I wish to request his medical records and was told that a personal representative must be named

What do I need to do?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 11, 2015, 12:24 PM
    You are assuming that his records are still being kept after nearly 70 years...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 11, 2015, 12:45 PM
    Why do you wish to see the records? Do you believe there is a genetic connection to something your involved with today ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2015, 01:41 PM
    The first question is to find out whether the medical records exist. If they do, then you will have to petition a local court, probably a probate court, to have you named a representative.

But can you explain why you want the medical records? Is there a genetic history you need or something else?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2015, 07:21 AM
    As noted, there will need to be a legal reason for getting those records. **I do not believe that any will exist any longer, Merely his death certificate with will not be in those records.

As noted, if the records do exist, you will need to go though court, and show cause why they need to be released to you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 12, 2015, 07:44 AM
    It is my understanding that medical records are only required to be kept for a period of 10 years. You can, however, request a copy of his death certificate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the personal representative be held accountable [ 1 Answers ]

Can the personal representative of my husbands estate be held accountable for misrepresentation if he failed to present all of the handwriting experts results. He also failed to have mine examined. There were two examinations done. He only presented one to the judge, the one that said it was my...

How to become a personal representative of a probate? [ 2 Answers ]

Although my father's will made me Power of Attorney, I found out that this is no longer legal in SC. How do I become the "legal representative" of my father's estate, since this is apparently what he wished & we need to settle probate?

Personal Representative [ 3 Answers ]

My mother has been appointed personal representative to settle late brother's estate. He has land in another state and small amount of money in a bank. How should she proceed in getting this estate settled He lived in Maryland and the land is in Virginia. Thanks

Can personal representative transfer car title? [ 2 Answers ]

I am personal representative for my mother's estate. Her will gave me complete control of her assets. My sister had been driving Mom's car for over a year, with Mom's permission. She does not have a car of her own, nor have the money to buy one. The car is very old, almost worthless from a...

Probate and Personal Representative [ 3 Answers ]

Mother died 4years ago, my sister was named personal rep for the estate. It has now been over 4 years, my other sister and I ( both equal beneficiaries) have received a partial distribution and interim accounting about 2 and 1/2 yrs. Ago. Personal Rep. says that keeping the estate open as long as...

View more questions Search