Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdstep Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Shower leaks when sprinklers on or toilet flushed
    I have a tract house that is 7 years old. It was built using a product called Aquapex for the water pipes, this is clear plastic tubing that is supposed to be superior to copper.

My main water pipe comes in from the front, goes up the wall to the ceiling through the attic (with branches as necessary). It travels to the back of the house, back down the wall, and then outside to the hose bib/sprinkler valves.

Recently, when the master bathroom toilet (which is at the rear of the house, right before the line goes to the backyard) is flushed the MB shower will leak. It stops after the tank fills. Similarly, when the backyard sprinklers are on, the MB shower leaks, and then stops when they stop.

There is no evidence of water leaks in the attic or anywhere else.

Any advice on the source of this problem would be appreciated.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 03:30 PM
    OK, so moving water causes your shower valve to leak. I can't imagine how but apparently it it does. The fault would be in the valve, not the piping. I am assuming by leaking you mean leaking out the shower head. What type of shower valve do you have?

Jun 18, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Yes, the leaking is through the shower head. I don't know much about plumbing, what is the shower valve and how do I find it? The shower water control (H/C) is a normal kohler one, but I don't think that is what you are asking.

Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 18, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Yes that's your shower valve, two handle or one?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 19, 2008, 05:44 AM
    when the master bathroom toilet (which is at the rear of the house, right before the line goes to the backyard) is flushed the MB shower will leak. It stops after the tank fills. Similarly, when the backyard sprinklers are on, the MB shower leaks, and then stops when they stop.
    Sounds like you have a Kohler valve with a faulty pressure balancing unit,(see image). Did you wish to tear into it yourself or are you going to call in outside help? Good luck, Tom

Jun 21, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Yes, it is a kohler 1 handle valve. I would like to take care of it myself, but I am much more at home working on cars than plumbing. I am concerned about getting the assembly out of the shower without too much trouble, can I access what I need through the hole the valve handle comes through?

Overall, do you think an amateur with no plumbing experience can take care of it? I hate to pay a bunch of $$ for something I could have done myself.

Again, thanks for the feedback, this has been great.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 21, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Before we start to tear into the valve we better find out exactly what you have. Do you have any more information you can give me? Regards, Tom

Jun 21, 2008, 09:56 PM
    I have the docs for the sink faucets, but apparently I never got the shower ones. Anyway, the sinks are Kohler Coralais series.

I found the closest ones I could find online that matched the look/style of the shower faucets, in the Coralais series, and got the following. Hopefully it helps.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 089871_4.pdf (42.6 KB, 368 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water backing up in shower when toilet is flushed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 40 year old house on a septic system. Yesterday I noticed water backing up into the shower when the toilet is flushed. The toilet is taking an unusual amount of time to complete flush. I have also notice that the gound is very wet around my septic tank and there is a strong smell of...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Shower gurgles when toilet is flushed. AAV? [ 2 Answers ]

Host: Only recently, My shower gurgles when the toilet is flushed. I read your response to a similar question with the response, "Somehow you're not venting the system. Check the AAV to be sure it's working.". I do not however, know what an AAV is (or where it is located), could you expand...

Shower leaks when toilet is flushed [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Recently, when I flushed my toilet, the shower will leaks for a duration of time when the toilet tank is filling up. The leaks stop after the tank is filled. It is more severe at night than during day time. Do you know what might be causing it? Thank you. Wyne L.

View more questions Search