Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anne401Heck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Stink Bug Bite
    My daughter was bitten by a stink bug. The bug was between her sock and skin. When she tried to get it out, she said it bit her. It also got squashed under the sock, next to her skin. It's bite/affected area is reddish orange and about the size of a dime. It hurts and is tender, but does not itch. Does anyone know of a stink but biting? Our doctor's office has never heard of it, and suggest I keep an eye on it. Just a little concerned. Can you help? ~ Anne
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Apr 23, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Maybe it was a blister beetle.. they secret a nasty smell when they get smashed or bothered.. Google it.. you'll find a lot on it
    KristiB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 11:03 AM
    I live in NW NJ and was bitten by a stink bug as well. I actually saw it and killed it I might add. It stunk to high heaven. Unfortunately, the bite is on my abdomen and my shirt had the horrible smell on it. The bite is like your daughter's bite-about the size of a dime and red right now. At times it is a yellow/brown color. The bite is now two days old and itches like crazy. In the beginning it hurt horribly and almost felt like a burn at times. How did your daughter make out? Take care.
    32Diane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 03:02 PM
    I'm in Bergen County, NJ & have noticed stink bugs in my house occasionally, starting about a year or more ago. The other day I tried to catch 1 I saw and it fell into my boot (I think). I tried to shake it out, but nothing happened. Since then (I've worn the boots) I've developed a series of possible bites on the inside of my L leg going up. Extremely itchy & red, about dime size with swelling beyond the red and has begunturning black & blue between close bites. Saw the dermatologist today who confirmed the diagnosis & gave me clobex lotion. Please put "stink bug" in the subject, if you email me.
    msl5119 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 02:44 PM
    I hope this isn't what's on my chin, but I'm almost positive it is. I have a dime-sized irritation just below my lips all of a sudden. A part of it is dark purple and the entire thing has a texture similar to that of scars. At first, I thought it was a pimple because there's a nipple in the center. It's sore and only stings when touched. I have no idea what this is and have considered just about any reason, but I just found a dead stinkbug next to my bed. Someone please tell me it's just a zit. And if not, do I need treatment?
    vernalevs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 03:46 PM
    I rolled over onto a stink bug while sleeping. The smell woke me up and I found the dead bug beneath me. The bite mark on the underside of my arm itched at first, then turned bright yellow, and it lasted for almost a week.Apparently, this bug had shot all his juice into my arm to protect itself. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but I got sick a few days after I was bitten. Felt like I had a fever, and I was extremely tired, and achy in my joints.After a week, I'm feeling better. If anyone can verify that a stink bug bite can cause these symptoms, please let me know.
    debphares Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 08:10 PM
    I was just bite or stung by a stink bug this morning around 6am on the chest. Everybody said they never heard of such a thing, they said, are you sure that's what it was... yes I am sure, I killed it and I am sure, so today I decided to look it up and sure enough I'm not the only one. The area stung really really bad, had me worried and then I never felt good the rest of the day and felt like I had no energy. 17 hours later the area still stings a little and is very tender and sore.
    mamarut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 08:59 PM
    I was at dughter's home for a birthday cook out tonight and I too was bitten by a stink bug I did not know it was even on me let alone between my backs skin and blouse until it bit me . I had not smashed or done anything to make it bite. It hurt like a little needle that's when I lifted my blouse in back and asked husband to look and it fell onto the floor . It definitely was a stink bug not a blister beetle. But I love the question she asked if anyone had ever been bitten by a stink but , I needed a little humor tonight.
    kcurtis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2010, 07:08 AM
    I was bitten by a stink after it flew in my car window while I was driving and hit my eyelid. I had no idea they can bite until then! My eyelid had a slight dull stinging pain the rest of the day, but luckily it didn't swell up or get red. Well, the next morning I woke up and my eye was almost swollen shut! After a few hours and cold water, it went down, but still hurt. Two days later the skin of the bite area discolored and almost looked like a bruise. A day after this and all the skin on my eyelid was peeling off like my skin was burned. Now I have scabs where the skin came off and am waiting for it to heel. It has been six days since the bite now and it has been both annoying and not knowing what to expect day to day. Please spread the word they bite when threatened! Maybe I had some type of reaction to it as well, I'm not sure. We live in southeastern Pennsylvania and not until last year did we notice these stink bugs everywhere - especially in the fall when it gets cooler and they are attracted to the heat of the house. They are all over our screens and have become such a nuisance that I am afraid the population will get worse each year. I checked online and it seems their lifespan is a few years which is really going to cause a problem.
    kemqwerty1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2010, 11:47 AM
    This is the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me! I was driving home from school yesterday and started to feel a pain on the back of my thigh up near my butt cheek. I squirmed and moved around a little because I thought I had just sat on something, I really didn't think about it too much. Sure enough when we got home I sat up and a stink bug fell out of my shorts. I had sports practice so I was wearing spandex compresion shorts under my actual shorts and it had bitten through them! I was so grossed out and checked out the area, it was bright yellow which freaked me out to no end. Now its one day later and the area is now a black/purple-y color and very tender and red on the surrounding area. Its extremely itchy and when I scratch it, it burns. I suffered more than one bite though, it had bitten me several times before I had gotten home. Right now I feel very fatigued and am worried about side effects/symptoms of the bite.
    hayhayh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2010, 07:09 PM
    I live in PA, and this time of the yr, at the very end of the summer and beginning of fall, stink bugs are EVERYWHERE. I was outside all day today doing yard work. While getting a shower afterwards I noticed my knee hurts when I touch it. So I look at it and there is like a red-ish bump just a little bit smaller than a dime and it hurts only when I touch it, but doesn't itch. My best guess is that a stink bug bit me while I was outside. I have been google-ing stink bug bites ever since I noticed the bite. There isn't much info that I can find on these bites.. I guess because the usually don't bite people but I'm going to give it a little while. I'm sure it's not going to hurt my health too much.. but as for your daughter I would find out what kind out cream you should put on it.
    lutchko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2010, 09:43 PM
    I was bitten in the leg a stink bug crawled up my pant leg not knowing at the time what it was I smashed it. Besides the nasty smell it left (which I used lemon juice to get rid of smell)it was like I just got burnt by something. The next day I got up and felt like I had the flu and the right side of my jaw/ear really hurt and the bite looked like a reddish orange imprint of the bug it was weird. Called the doctor he had to put me on 10 day run of antibiotics along with a cream to put around bite. The toxins they carry can go through your blood stream if they are smashed on you its like a poison going through your blood stream. If you get bit by accidentally smashing one on you be sure you visit the er or your doctor.
    Linsey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 12:09 PM
    I was just bit on my upper thigh as I sat down and saw the culprit myself - then was met by the terrible smell and pain. It felt burned and stung at the same I went to the rest room, pulled down my pants to find the bite - not different from any other bites I have received in the past only the bite was orange - again about dime sized. No itching - just discomfort. I too live in southeastern PA and agree that the stink bug invasion is only getting worse - currently (end of Sept.) they are crawling all over the screens at every window. At any rate, hope the itching, bruising and fatigue don't come but I'll have to wait and see. Die stink bugs, die!
    jkathy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Today I sat on a stink bug in the car accidentally. Felt like I was sitting on an earring or something, when I reached around and pulled it out from under me it was a stink bug and it was STINKING... a few moments later my butt started to burn and ache like nerve pain. It stung or bit me through my nylon workout pants. There is a raised welt but I can't see it too well LOL but it does still hurt.
    VivvyMack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 11:12 AM
    Yes, I was bitten by a stink bug in the car. It was lodged between my breast and inside upper arm. It felt like someone put a ciggy-butt out on my arm and lasted for over 24 hours. The raised portion was the size of a silver dollar, the red portion much larger. I read that hydrogen peroxide removes the pain and a antihystamine removes the swelling.
    Melisca24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 10:19 AM
    I was bitten by 2 stink bugs after sitting on them in my car... like everyone has described, it was a burning sensation and the bites look orange. It's so weird. It's been about 24 hours... they still hurt... I have 4 bites... I was wondering how everyone else reacted since it's been a while since you posted. Please advise... Thanks!!
    Anne401Heck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
    After speaking with countless people regarding this whole stink bug thing, I believe they are not biting, but possibly emitting their "stink" by either being squashed or just roughed up and this is what is causing the skin irritation. When this originally happened to my daughter, I spoke with a bug person (I think an entomologist?) and she told me it would be really hard for them to bite us because of the way their jaw is shaped. She also guessed that it might be a case of an allergic reaction to the stink bugs insides, since my daughter completely squashed it on her skin, inside her sock. So, I am of the opinion that a stink bugs insides are caustic to our skin, thus resulting in a burn or something that at least feels similar. What do you all think?
    VivvyMack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 08:20 AM
    A week later and the area still shows an small orange bite mark. The number of bugs in my office must now be over a thousand, every time I open a files multiple piles need to be shaken out... in the toilet. When the season of incoming stink bugs ends, I will emply every file, book, box, drawer (the same for at home... include linens and clothes) and get rid of the sleeping bugs. Spring time comes, they wake up and all want to go back out... be for warned. They are two season pests.
    nomi4732 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 08:26 PM
    Up at Hawk Mountain yesterday in eastern Pa a stink bug flew down my shirt. It immediately got red and yellow and was burning. Today it is the same I am definitely a little sluggish. I am very nervous, not sure if I should go to the dr. There is almost noting online about stink bug reactions. I am telling everyone to watch out for them.
    bposh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 04:33 PM
    My son was bit by a stink bug on his behind a few days ago, I had no idea they could bite/sting, whatever it is they do, but anyway, he's been so tired the last few days, I didn't think anything of it, but today he kept saying, mommy, hurts, hurts, and pointing to his behind... I looked and there is this circular area that looks like a crusty burn mark. I am wondering now if that is why he was so tired? I live in southeastern pa, too, and they are everywhere this year, I have never seen them this bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Relaxers stink! [ 6 Answers ]

Ok... Im mixed black and white... My hair use to be really curly and then I got a relaxer... When I got the relaxer it made it so my hair isn't curly anymore and it just looks stupid... I have to wear my hair straightened all the time now... I was wondering if there is a way I could get a perm to...

My dogs stink! [ 31 Answers ]

Hello fellow dog lovers, I have a pair of 7 year old Pekingnese dogs that I got from the SPCA last June. They have dry skin and do the itchy-scratchy thing that we are still trying to diagnose. Just finished the special super-expensive prescription dog food only 6 week trial, etc. Although...

Logarithms stink [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone that knows how to solve logarithms would be able to help me solve log2(x+2) the second two is the base. I know most of the rules I just can't seem to get the right answer. :eek:

Stink in bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

Our bathroom has a foul odor coming from it. We have done all the required troubleshooting that we know of. We have no clog or hair in drain but asmell is coming from under the sink. It's almost like it is in the cabinet below the sink. We are on a slab and have pulled the shelf up and nothing is...

No water! And I stink! [ 13 Answers ]

Ok, I live in a double-wide in the mountains of North Carolina. This problem occurs when it gets cold-cold-cold, but not all the time (I'm fairly certain it's not a freezing problem). Our water comes from a well, with a separate circuit for the pump (breaker located in my main power supply box)....

View more questions Search