Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inmyheartismile Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Two doors
    There are 2 doors, one leads to heaven one leads to hell. There are 2 identical twins one always tells the truth and one always lies, if you could only ask one question to know 100% which door leads to where what would you ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2008, 08:41 AM

"Which door would your twin say leads to heaven?"

Take the other door.

(This is assuming that the twins know that the other twin always lies/tells the truth)
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2008, 08:48 AM

smearcase disagrees: What if you are talking to the truthful twin?
    Then he would say that his twin would say the door to hell, in which case you still take the other door.

In either case, they will indicate the door that leads to hell.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2008, 08:49 AM

If I had asked you yesterday,which door would you have told me to take to get to heaven?

They both have to say the same correct door, because the liar had to lie yesterday and has to tell you the opposite of his lie from yesterday.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Capuchin--My apologies. I misread your plan of attack there.
    In fact, I like your answer better because the logic is so concise (in spite of the fact that I couldn't read it right the first time!).
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    Capuchin--My apologies. I misread your plan of attack there.
    In fact, I like your answer better because the logic is so concise (in spite of the fact that I couldn't read it right the first time!).
    But mine has the ugly assumption that the twins know what the other will say! I like yours better!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing bedroom hollow doors with 6 panel pine doors. [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing my bedroom hollow doors with 6 panel pine doors. My problem is that the 6 panel pine doors are not fitting properly. When I hung one door with the same size hinges I was able to put the screws in the same holes as the old ones but the door will not close. The new door is about...

Doors slamming [ 3 Answers ]

My elderly mother and older sister bought a house in a quiet subdivision together three years ago and started having unexplained things happen. The house itself it about 15 years old. They started hearing what they thought was the bathroom door beyond the kitchen slam every night while they...

We are not closing our doors [ 1 Answers ]

Can you help me draft a letter letting our Clients know that we are not closing our doors and will continue to do business during the changes we are currently experiencing.

Doors [ 2 Answers ]

What is the opening size I need to cut when installing a prehung door on a wall?

New front doors [ 6 Answers ]

Is it possible to replace the front doors and hinges without replacing the entire door casing? We are interested in replacing the front doors and are looking for an inexpensive way of doing it. :confused:

View more questions Search