Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darbydog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 12:36 PM
    how long does an unpaid medical bill stay on credit report
    In November of 2001, while I was in college, I was hit by a car. I suffered $28,000 of damage, almost all of which was billed to my parents. Apparently, however, a radiology place took an x-ray and billed me in my dorm. I vacated the dorm after the accident and never got the bill. I have now discovered the bill, for $58, on my credit report. I think it was added to my report in 2004. How long will it stay on my credit report? Would it do any good to pay it?
    Couchcarrot Posts: 590, Reputation: 41

Apr 4, 2009, 08:22 PM
    Here's a response to your question as well as the link it came from:

How does a collection account appear on the credit report?
    While you make payments on your collection account, the status will remain "collection account." Once you pay the account in full, then it will show "paid collection." A paid collection account will remain on the credit report for seven years from the initial missed payment that led to the collection.

Experian | Consumer Credit FAQ
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 08:36 PM

Of course you could pay the bill with the agreement they would report it paid in full on credit report
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2009, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by darbydog View Post
    Would it do any good to pay it?
    Hello d:

It'll stay there for seven years from the date of last activity, whether it's paid or not. Is a paid collection better than a non paid one?? Maybe 5 fico points.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unpaid collection accounts on credit report [ 2 Answers ]

I know that collection accounts stay on your credit report for 7 years, but my question is once that 7 years is up is it totally gone even though it was left unpaid?

How to get an unpaid CC debt off my credit report [ 4 Answers ]

I have an unpaid credit card debt that was opened in 1999, and reported in 2003. I just got a letter from a lawyer about paying it, and have started making payments on the $3000 debt. In Oregon, how long does this get to stay on my credit report? I thought an unpaid debt must be removed from my...

How long is an unpaid eviction on any credit reports [ 3 Answers ]

8 years ago I was a co-signer on an apartment with my boyfriend. I was just about 18 or 19 yrs old. We got evicted and after establishing a residence we contacted our former landlord and started making monthly payments but never finished paying the total amount due. We never heard anything from...

View more questions Search