Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EquiPro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Broken shower arm at threads
    I was changing out my shower head and gently using a wrench to tighten the new shower head. It was not tightening it very hard, but the shower arm broke off right at the threads. About 1/2 of the threads came off inside the new shower head female end. It was no problem to get those out, but now I have a shower arm with only 1/2 of the threads on it. I have never tried my own repairs of this type, but really don't want to pay someone to do this if it is easy. The shower goes into tile. It looks like it is grouted around the neck of the shower arm where it goes into the tile.

Help please? In VERY simple language would be best... Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 12:46 PM
    If your lucky it goes into the 90 deg drop ear elbow shown on this page:

Copper fittings - PlumbingStore.com

The shower arm screws out. A pipe wrench can be used here because it's damaged.

It might just be flopping around, which will be a bigger problem to fix, but nonetheless it's screwed into something.

Remove it. Remove the grout. Get a new elbow.

Put teflon tape or pipe sealant. The sealant might be easier since your looking for a particular orientatio. Tighten about 2 turns past finger tight.

Use a pair of soft-jawed pliers, about $25, to tighten. About $40 total if you don't have the tools.

Install the shower head using teflon tape or seal the same way.

Turn on and inspect for leaks.

Re-caulk opening.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Do not remove the tile. Keep it simple. There is a specific tool made to remove those threads. Some that do not have that tool will use the back end of a bastard file by gently driving it into the threads and wedge it in then simply unscrew it. Others will use a hack saw blade and gently cut out a 1/3 section of the broken piece and then wedge out the rest with a small flat screwdriver. Do not cut deep.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 13, 2008, 08:31 PM
    Doug:

I think you got the wrong picture. I got the following one. The broken threads removed easily from the shower nozzle. Now there is this shower arm with broken male threads sticking out of the wall.

The OP didn't break the shower arm off in the wall. Yet.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2008, 08:58 PM
    You are correct, I mis read the post. I would simply unscrew the damaged shower arm and replace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken Shower Diverter [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm a little lost as what to do. My shower diverter on my faucet broke and I'm wondering if I have to replace the whole faucet? It's the pull up kind.. Can someone please help?? I really don't want to hire a plumber if this is an easy fix...

Shower Handle Broken [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, I have an OLD shower handle that is broken. I tried to turn off the hot water last night, but apparently broke something inside and now it won't turn off. Here is a picture of what it looks like now: http://adamfwilson.googlepages.com/DSCF0581.JPG The end of the extended piece...

Broken threads in pipe need removing [ 6 Answers ]

When I disassembled the p-trap in the bathroom basin drain, the waste pipe broke, leaving threads in the pop-up pipe. I need to remove the threads to screw in a new waste pipe. I tried to use an awl to pry them out, but no luck. How can I do this? Thanks in advance!

Shower handle broken off [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: I have an unknown 3 handle shower with the middle handle broken off with the screw and part of the pipe that it fits into, in it! How do I fix this now? Thanks!

Broken Shower Knob [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had a shower knob break and can not find a replacement knob that fits. I've been to Lowe's and Home Depot and the knobs I buy won't fit. It's not the knob itself that doesn't fit. It's the pipe that grabs the knob is too big and won't insert. The house is a 1970s house and I need to...

View more questions Search