Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bazza87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2006, 01:43 AM
    How can I control my miniature daschund?
    I own a male miniature dachund approx. 2 and 1/2 yrs old. Although normally a well behaved pet in doors I find that his behaviour is out of control if any one come to the door [stranger or someone familar] Also if I bring him for a walk I find that he will try to attack any dog he comes into contact with and proceed to growl and sometimes snap at people walking past [particularly people on bikes or with prams] he has previously bitten a family member when they tried to take his food away and again when they sursprised him when he was sleeping. When we tried to enter him into a local dog competition he had to be removed due to the fact he tried to attack every dog in sight. My dog has not been neutered or desexed and we own no other pets, if any one can explain this behaviour and a solution or tips on how to handle this behaviour please help me as I may face losing my dog if I can not fix this behaviour.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Hi, bazza,
    This is normal behavior of any dog, who is allowed to do it! You have to take control, be boss (not him), and he will happier, so will you.
    Has he been neutered? If not, that's the first thing to do. It will stop some of the aggressive behavior. Also, when around other dogs, they will know it, and not be aggressive towards him; or him towards them.
    I highly recommend a video by Ceaser Millan, a Professional Dog Behaviorist. He rehabilitates dogs, and trains people.

He has his own TV program, the Dog Whisperer, on the NGEO (National Geographic) channel, on Friday nights mainly, but also comes on some other days. This video is available from:
    http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/
    I also ordered his new book, "Ceaser's Way", from Walmart online, around $15 US, and it's very good!

There are other good videos available on the web, but this one is really worth your attention.

Does he get enough exercise? Do you walk him briskly, about 45 min. every day? Sometimes twice a day? A Tired dog will not be very aggressive. He has energy built up, that you have to get rid of.
    Get a leash that's about 5 feet long. Take him for a walk, but DON'T let him walk in front of you... if he does, he's boss; not you. Stop him, pull him to your side instantly, and keep him beside you while walking. It might take a week for him to get the idea, but he will, if you are persistent and consistent.
    When someone comes to the door, DON'T open it, if he is barking or near the door. Whoever is at the door can wait. Take him back about 10 ft from the door, firmly push him down, rubbing him to get him out of being aggressive for the moment, and say "Stay". Walk away.
    If he gets up, stop, push him down again, and rub him some, so his attitude will change from aggressive to "I like this"! Keep doing it until he stays. Then, open the door.
    If he runs toward the door or starts barking, then immediately go back to him, push him firmly down again, and keep doing it until he calms down.
    This will take time. Some don't have the time to train their dog, and some don't even want to try.
    But, if you will take the time and keep trying, you will see results.
    Remember, INSTANT stopping it is needed, right then. Don't Yell at him, cause it only makes him more aggressive.
    Best of luck, and please watch Ceaser Milan... you will learn an awful lot... he is awesome.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 22, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Wow... what is with all the out of control daschunds these days? You must be "alpha dog" in order to control your pet. I would only add to Fred's good stuff a book that lets you in on how dogs think, very enlightening... called The Hidden Life Of Dogs. Whatever our dog does, you will be able to understand it from a dog's perspective, and thereby affect it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...lance&n=283155
    I_LOVE_DOGS312 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 05:12 AM
    You need to train him, and go out for walks afterwards, my Lab is exactly the same, she's O.K. indoors but outdoors it's like AHHHH NEW CRAZY DOG! WWe trained and are now having a little trouble, but Daschunds are a WHOLE lot easier to train than LABS:) I'm very young and know tons about dogs
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 09:02 PM
    I see little point in digging up old threads like this. I do want to say such an out of control dog should be neutered at once and put into a good obedience program.

The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss
    CARTOLA Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2008, 12:23 AM
    Hello bazza,
    I have a miniature daschund, 2yrs and 4 months, and sometimes he will behave like that too, but not to often though. I've learned that the best thing to control him is not give him any space to behave badly, I mean you always have to be on control and be very strict with him. So when he does behave in a bad way, I will get down, hold tight on his nose facing him on the eyes and be very strict, serious and energetic with my tone of voice, but no screaming! Also sometimes I will just have a serious "talk" with him, like "you can not behave like that, this is bad, i do not like you when you do like that", always looking straight on his eyes, and it truly works! My dog have learned a lot and he is extremely well behave, he doesn't bark, he is very quiet and calm. I'll take him every where with me and he always will be very well behave
    Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Miniature Dachsund Puppy Feeding [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of food should be given to a 5 week old mini doxie? I want to do whatever I can to prevent my little puppy from having long term back problems and need help on feeding

Litter box training a miniature daschund? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I have a miniature daschund that is about 8 months old. We have him housebroken pretty well (he never makes mistakes). However, we are gone for a large portion of the day for work and we are usually unable to make it home to let him out. I heard that it is possible to litter box train...

Miniature greyhound, upset stomach... HELP. [ 5 Answers ]

We have a miniature greyhound that has a constant stomach problem, she will be fine for several days then all of a sudden she won't eat because her stomach is upset, sometimes she vomits, no diarrhea. We have taken her to the vet several times and he gives her a shot of "Pepcid" and then she is...

My daschund [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Daschund that is about 2 and a half years old. She was a stray that dropped into our laps when she was less then a year old, she still had a puppy tooth or two. Anyway, I have noticed that she seems to go through cycles of itching on her back. She does not have fleas. IF I let her she...

How to find totally Safe webhosting- full control [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone recommend me a safe webhosting service where I can outsource the website maintenance work but only give them limited access. I mean, I do not want my maintenance people to take over my website as my website is gaining popularity and I am getting in bad terms with these people. Is there...

View more questions Search