Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guildar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 11:57 PM
    Litter box training a miniature daschund?
    Hello. I have a miniature daschund that is about 8 months old. We have him housebroken pretty well (he never makes mistakes). However, we are gone for a large portion of the day for work and we are usually unable to make it home to let him out. I heard that it is possible to litter box train small dogs. Has anyone tried this? What would you suggest as a good method to teach him this? I'm concerned because I am not sure how easy it is to train a dog to go in a litter box after he is housebroken. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Jim
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Dec 9, 2005, 12:26 PM
    If you are gone for long periods in the day you might want to consider a crate as opposed to letting him have free reign of the house.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2005, 12:56 PM
    I am a strong believer in crates too. All day is no worse than all night for a crated dog. It is also the best solution for chewing and may help with barking. Other dogs may not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding
    Time for more than one dog.

The "shut the puppy in a safe room" is a fallacy. Very few houses even have a
    Safe room. How many of us have a room with a hard surfaced floor and nothing
    Else? Most rooms have electrical cords to chew if nothing else. In addition
    To destroying anything a bored puppy finds to chew, it may choke or have
    Intestinal blockage from the pieces. I had a friend that left her dog in a
    "safe" room. It ate a hole in the floor covering. The safe rooms fail to
    Give the dog the comfort of the enclosed space their instinct requires. Nor
    Do they restrict activity extending the time the dog can go without relieving
    Itself.

If you do want to try the litter box, I would start with it outside. Follow what I would do with a little puppy. Once he catches on to using it outside, move it inside.

Choose a command and spot you want it to use. The less accessible to strays,
    The less chance of serious disease. If it is a female, choosing a
    Non grassy spot will avoid brown spots later. When you bring it home, take it
    To the spot and give it the command in a firm, but friendly voice. Keep
    Repeating the command and let the puppy sniff around. If it does anything,
    Praise it. Really let it know what a good dog it is and how much you love it,
    And maybe a treat. Note, being out there not only means you can praise it,
    But it also keeps it from being snatched by a hawk. If it doesn't go, take it
    Inside and give it a drink and any meals scheduled. A young puppy will need to
    Go out immediately afterward. Go to the spot and follow the above routine.
    Praising it if it goes is extremely important. If it doesn't go, take it back
    Inside and put it in its crate and try again soon. Do not let it loose in the
    House until it does go.
    downward spiral Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 09:14 AM
    I have a male Miniature Daschund that's a little over a year old now. I tried to litterbox train him for months but without much success. He knows that's where he's supposed to go potty, but he won't get in there on his own. If I set him in there he will go, but if I don't do that every few hours he will find somewhere else to go or he will go right in front of it. I have seen him many times put just his front feet in the litterbox and go potty which is pretty funny but frustrating.

I have given up on the whole litter box idea. It just seemed easier than taking him outside every time since we live on the 3rd floor in an apartment, but I have learned to live with it. He will cry at the door now if he has to go and I just take him out.
    sjordan6247 Posts: 13, Reputation: 4

May 30, 2007, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by guildar
    Hello. I have a miniature daschund that is about 8 months old. We have him housebroken pretty well (he never makes mistakes). However, we are gone for a large portion of the day for work and we are usually unable to make it home to let him out. I heard that it is possible to litter box train small dogs. Has anyone tried this? What would you suggest as a good method to teach him this? I'm concerned because I am not sure how easy it is to train a dog to go in a litter box after he is housebroken. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Jim
    You could use the pad, but my pup uses Feline Pine in an extra large litter box. Feline Pine comes in pellets that are made of ground up pine tree shavings. The litter does not smell and does not track around on the tile or the carpet. It does not tend to get in their toes either. Plus, it is great fertilizer. I haven't had a problem with my pup eating it either. He tends to eat the pads. He especially loves the spray that is supposed to prevent the dog from pooing in a certain spot. He has yet to poo on the grass. I have spent many a day sitting outside in a chair waiting for him. The person that I got him from kept him inside because he was the runt of the litter. I didn't get him until about 9 weeks or so because he was small. So, I am still working on the whole grass thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Any tips on litter box training an adult cat? [ 2 Answers ]

My kitty saga continues! We are going to try to litter box train the adult cat we took in. I want her to be as adoptable as possible. I put a litter box in her shed but so far she has not used it. The kittens haven't used the paper I put down, but that may be because they are so young. Any...

Miniature Dachsund Puppy Feeding [ 4 Answers ]

What kind of food should be given to a 5 week old mini doxie? I want to do whatever I can to prevent my little puppy from having long term back problems and need help on feeding

How can I control my miniature daschund? [ 5 Answers ]

I own a male miniature dachund approx. 2 and 1/2 yrs old. Although normally a well behaved pet in doors I find that his behaviour is out of control if any one come to the door Also if I bring him for a walk I find that he will try to attack any dog he comes into contact with and proceed to growl...

Miniature greyhound, upset stomach... HELP. [ 5 Answers ]

We have a miniature greyhound that has a constant stomach problem, she will be fine for several days then all of a sudden she won't eat because her stomach is upset, sometimes she vomits, no diarrhea. We have taken her to the vet several times and he gives her a shot of "Pepcid" and then she is...

Need Help Training our new Daschund Stella [ 3 Answers ]

We got a little daschund over the weekend. She is an adorable loving 12 week old puppy that has not been housetrained. We have her gated in a little space in the laundry room with her crate and paper for her to go to the bathroom. The problem I am encountering, we are out of the house for 12...

View more questions Search