Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2008, 11:34 PM
    Keeping flies off dogs
    Hello!

I'm settling into my new house, which has a very nice patio with a good view. So I've been spending some time out there with Trink, reading and enjoying the outdooors. Trink doesn't do much, mainly lies on her bed out there at my feet. The problem is that we aren't out more than a few minutes before the first fly shows up to land on her. And the longer we stay out, the more there are. They don't bother me, or the cats when I have them outside, just the dog. Does anyone know why they are so attracted to her, or what I can do to keep them off her? Some of them buzz around her mouth, but a lot land on her flanks and back.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 23, 2008, 12:09 AM

Cover her with fly paper, and that will catch them! JOKING!

I had the same problem with Niki. I don't know if this will help you, but it did help for her. I sprayed her with Febreeze. (Of course covering her eyes, nose and mouth) and the flies didn't seem to like it, and stayed away. It didn't seem to irritate her skin at all. It's worth a try I guess! Let me know if it works if you decide to try that. Like I said, it did work for Niki.

Good luck Froggy! :)

(oh... I tried rubbing her with bounce dryer sheets also, that helped a bit too)
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 23, 2008, 02:23 AM

I buy a type a flea medicine that protects for fleas,ticks and flies/mosquitos.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Flies/Sewer Flies [ 24 Answers ]

We moved into this house almost 1 yr ago. At first I didn't notice the flies. We have a shower stall in our bathroom that is in our room. We noticed a leak and stopped using it. Someone mentioned that I should still pour water down the drain, is this true? Our sump pump is in the basement next...

I have flies [ 2 Answers ]

I have flies in all the front windows of the house. I can't identify where they are coming from. I have sprayed bug spray, which kills them but when I go back to check a little bit later I have more flies. My house is very clean. I have checked the trash. I don't know where they are coming from. I...

Why flies coming from under floorboards what flies [ 1 Answers ]

Have recently had a problem with sewage leaking under the house this caused my home to be infested with sewage flies had the sewage leak fixed and my floor boards ripped up the sewage removed and the area sanitised then the floor relayed had no flies for about a week but we are now getting some...

Dogs keeping me from sleeping at night. [ 7 Answers ]

Both my 1 year old pups have always slept in the bed with us. Now that they are getting bigger, we are sleeping less. They used to sleep at the bottom of the bed and we really didn't mind it. Now one like to sleep above my head and the other has to be under the blankets and kicks me all night. ...

Keeping your dogs/cats safe at christmas [ 9 Answers ]

1. No rich foods... gravy, candies, nuts can cause huge problems... remember not to leave food items wraped under the tree. As you know Fido/ Fefe has a great sense of smell. 2. Anchor your tree, a eye hook bolted to the wall or ceiling , with fishing line is a sure fire way to keep treesfrom...

View more questions Search