Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Moving out before 30-day notice?
    I gave my landlord 30-day notice for the end of the month. I've also told them in my notice that I would be physically out by the 15th, in case they found someone who wanted to move in earlier. They want to show the house for this last month (which I agreed to in the lease), but I know that we are going to get into "discussions" about show-readiness, given that they don't want me to have any pet-related items out during that time, or have the pets in the place while it's being shown. And I am not willing to shut them up all day, and am pretty sure that they will like the results of not having a litterbox even less than the look of having one. So I'm thinking of moving to my new spot next week, just to make everything easier on everyone.

Is there any trouble that I can get into for doing this? I don't plan on giving up the keys until the 30th or they have a new tenant (and refund the appropriate part of my rent), whichever comes first. I just won't be living in the place.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 01:44 PM
    As long as the rent is paid up and you're not violating anything the lease may say about occupancy, I think you're being very considerate.

Do you think the LL is going to have a problem with this plan?

You could either discuss your plans with them - pointing out how easy it will be for them to show it and they won't have to contact you every time, etc.

Or you could just move the majority of your stuff - leaving behind several large items and if asked say you're "in the process of moving".
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 01:53 PM
    The only problem I see with your plan is the part about not giving the keys back, until you know about the amount of your deposit refund.

I don't think they will even discuss the deposit, and any fees, until AFTER you have surrendered the keys, and therefore, the house.

Legally, until you do surrender the keys, you are still a tenant, and there is nothing to discuss regarding your deposit refund.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 5, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Yes, as a landlord I would schedule a walk though and give a written report at that time and they would give me the keys and then they would receive a letter with the deposit minus any repairs within the week.
    But I would not settle deposit until they turned unit over.

But a scheduled walk though with a signed paper on any damages would be the thing I would require
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 02:02 PM
    I don't think OP is questioning or referring to their deposit... I think they want to make sure that if the LL rents the unit prior to the end of the month they reimburse them for those remaining days.

I agree... deposit isn't even discussed until tenant relinquishes possession - which includes returning keys.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Let me clarify: this was a temporary housing situation, while I looked for a spot to buy. So I don't have any "large pieces" to leave. One of the reasons I am thinking of moving is because right now my "bed" is a pile of blankets on the floor, and the largest number of items in the place are the dog beds. I don't want to give the keys back until the end of the rental/they get new tenants, because I still would be using the washer and dryer, until my belongings get delivered at my new place. Which I figure is only fair, since I am still legally the tenant until the end of the month, and the utilities are in my name.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Well, you're right... you've paid rent. It's yours until the end of the month - unless everyone mutually agrees to have a new tenant sign a lease sooner.

I guess I don't understand your concern. Has the landlord indicated that you're required to stay in the premesis? Are they tough to deal with? Is there a written lease?
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 05:34 PM
    There's actually a written lease, the owner isn't that hard to deal with. But they are using a realtor as property manager, and we are definitely going to butt heads over "show condition". I am feeling slightly put upon on having to show the apartment while I am living in it, but can see the point of doing that. I just did not take well to "all signs of the pets must be gotten rid of so that the apartment can show to its best". Of course, I could just not do that part, I guess, and let her deal with it. But really, I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't some way that I would be accused of trying to break the lease if I moved out early.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    But really, I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't some way that I would be accused of trying to break the lease if I moved out early.
    Unless your lease specifically says something to the contrary I think you're fine. You've paid July rent, so as long as you're prepared to turn in the keys, do a walk-through, etc - whatever their move-out procedure is - by July 31 I can't see any issue.

If they say anything about the place being vacant just point out that you're paid up and tell them that "yes, you're in the process of moving." If you're there periodically to do laundry and check on the place you're keeping an eye on things.

If the owner is easier to work with than the realtor it couldn't hurt anything to just contact the owner and tell them that they can show the place at any time, all signs of the pets are gone, and that you'll be available to do a walk-through/turn in keys on the 31st, or as soon as they re-lease it - if it's before that.

I just can't see anything about the scenario as you've described it that they'd have a problem with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Landlord give me a 3-Day notice plus a 30 Day notice to quit all at once? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I need to please know what is the legal procedure to an eviction notice? My fiancé and I and my 3 children use to live in Buena Park in Orange County and we still currently work in Orange County and comute Mon-Fri about 1hr and 15mins each way. When we heard from a far away causing...

Received a 60 day notice to vacate - do I need to give a 30 day notice? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! The rental property is in cupertino, California. I received a 60 day notice to vacate as the new owner wants to remodel the property. As I have a house that I had bought and was also renting this unit I would like to vacate within 15 days and move all my stuff? Question - Am I...

30 days notice given - not moving out at end of month [ 13 Answers ]

I am a Landlord and just received written 30 days notice from a tenant. Instead of the tenant moving out at the end of May, which would be typical, they have told me they will be out by June 3, 2008. They have offered to pay 3 days rent for June. I'm sure this is convenient for the tenant, but I...

Moving without a 30 days notice? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, can I move without giving a 30 days notice and paying a full months of rent? Here's the background: I have lived in this building for a little over a year, there is a pool on the first level of the premises and a restaurant next to it (off of the building main lobby), both are owned by...

Tenant gave me 30 day notice that he is moving! [ 10 Answers ]

This tenant That I have renting my town home was a friend we do NOT have any contracts in writing all was done verbally he has been renting for 4 months. He called me on 10/28/2007 told me that he was no longer going to rent my unit. That he would be out by November 30th. When he told me this I...

View more questions Search