Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    InTheArmsOfGod Posts: 49, Reputation: 2

May 11, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Tourette's Syndrome
    My father and I have Tourette's so I can only assume it's a genetic thing. The only good thing about it our syndrome is that it's not anything violent. Just a series of annoying tics and gestures and whatnot. Whether it be blinking, moving my ears, expanding my nostrils, raising my eyebrows, it seems I've had it all. While there is no real danger to the body as a result, it is quite a nuisance and does put a strain on facial muscles or what have you. I get headaches at the end of the day from all my twitches. My dad takes some medication for it but I've been straying away from that. Guess I just don't like medicine or admitting I have Tourette's.

My question to those who have it is, how do you cope with it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 01:21 PM
    I don't know that there is anyone else here who has tourettes, if there is, I hope they see this.

Now, why is it you don't want to take meds for this? It is very treatable with meds, as I am sure you know. Also, and I am sure you know this too, that the tics usually tend to diminish somewhat with age.
    Weirdo1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2010, 11:57 PM
    Well. To: InTheArmsOfGod, I say Today I found out that I have it as well & to answer your question... I'm not really.. I'm not dealing with it because I don't know how I can't seem to wrap my head around it 1st of all.. & 2nd I wouldn't know what to do... I mean I have a Son who is almost 10 months old & I am scared to death that I will never find a cure for this, or at least not in time before he grows up & has to tell his friends & stuff that his mom has this Syndrome you know? I don't want that!! But I don't know what to do either I mean this is all very new to me so I'm still trying to find ways to help myself but nothing so far except this website which I think could help me a lot because I like to talk & I need friends right now.. but if you want I will let you know when & if I find smthg more Because I won't stop until I find a way to help myself for my sons sake...

& to:expert: noneya, I personally won't take meds just Because it is not a long term or life long solution & it for sure is not a cure of any kind, in my opinion yes it CAN help people but you can't rely on medication your whole life they can't save your life either, so why not find smthg that you can rely on & maybe even do yourself like an exercise or richual of some kind you know smthg that you can do on your time & for ho wlong you want & that you know will always be there, that will just calm your body & your nerves & muscles that are spasiming that is causing this to happen.. So all I'm saying is in my opinion meds are not the way to go it's not that I don't trust them It's just that I couldn't commit to it if I started, its not for me.. I'm sorry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Degeorge Syndrome [ 30 Answers ]

My daughter has partial degeorge syndrome she now 13. This I know is rare. If anyone has a child who has it I would love to hear from them.

De George Syndrome [ 11 Answers ]

I am a psychotherapist who has a patient who has been diagnosed with "De George Syndrome". I am looking for information concerning the symptoms and the management as well as prognosis of the syndrome.

White Knight Syndrome [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, It's been 1 week of no contact since my first post "obvious rebound" I will recap for you before I get to my observations. I am a single father in a custody battle over our 2 1/2 y/o son. I work with a 30 y/o mother of three who is wanting to divorce her husband of 5 years. The...

Carcinoid syndrome [ 2 Answers ]

Sir what is Carcinoid syndrome , what are the symptoms , cause and relief

Blurts out almost like tourette's syndrome elderly [ 3 Answers ]

Help... my father-in-law had a heart attack and then bypass surgery 4 years ago. He has no working arteries in his legs, only veins. He has one "dead" kidney and has had stents put in both carotid arteries... last week we were visiting and he blurted out stuff that made no sense... kind of like...

View more questions Search