Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angels2264 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 11:52 AM
    Water coming up through sink
    Kitchen sink with disposal... 1. When I run water in the non-disposal side, both sinks fill up with the water. It drains very slowly but eventually it will drain. The same is true when I put water in the disposal side.

2. If I run run water and turn on the disposal, in about 15 seconds water begins flowing into both sinks from the drains. When I turn off the water but leave the disposal running... there is water going into the disposal from the opposite sink (it looks and sounds just as it does when the dishwasher is running). After about 45 seconds, the water has drained from both sinks.

3. I have removed the pcv pipes under the sink and the one attached to the disposal and none are clogged.

4. I didn't touch the pipe going through the back wall. Should I buy a hand crank snake and try it on that pipe?

5. I used the baking soda and vinegar solution a couple times.

6. Does this sound like I need a new disposal? It sounds like it is running fine.

I'm a recently retired female and this is my first experience with a clogged kitchen sink so please use layman terms for me. Thanks so much!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2010, 12:13 PM

You have a blockage in the horizontal drain line in the wall.
    The solution would be to remove the "J bend" from the trap and send a snake up into the wall. (See image).You will hit a bend about 8 inches in but once around that you only have to put out 6 feet more of snake. After, flush with hot water, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2010, 12:17 PM

Need to snake pipe going into wall. Blockage is in waste line. Run about 6' of snake.

When using disposal, make sure to run hot water at lest 1 minute after u shut off disposal. This will remove most waste from line.

Good luck

Chuck
    angels2264 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    You have a blockage in the horizontal drain line in the wall.
    The solution would be to remove the "J bend" from the trap and send a snake up into the wall. (See image).You will hit a bend about 8 inches in but once around that you only have to put out 6 feet more of snake. After, flush with hot water, good luck.

John
    Thank You so much! I'm heading to Home Depot for a snake and will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Need to snake pipe going into wall. Blockage is in waste line. Run about 10' of snake.

When using disposal, make sure to run hot water at lest 1 minute after u shut off disposal. This will remove most waste from line.

Good luck

Chuck
    Thanks! I thought you were only supposed to run cold water when using the disposal
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 01:02 PM

After you shut off the dispoal is time to run hot water. The thinking is you need to flush the debris out of the trap and far enough to exit the horizontal pipe going into the wall
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2010, 05:26 PM

The directions for my disposal said to run warm warm when in use and flush with hot after u turn it off.

Chuck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 29, 2010, 06:33 AM

I thought you were only supposed to run cold water when using the disposal
    Cold water will firm up the grease content while warm water will loosen it up so it will be flushed out. Cheers, Tom
    SmilemakerinTex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2012, 10:11 AM
    I am having the same problem but with the upstairs bathroom sink. It is not connected to a disposal in any way so not sure why the water is coming in and filling up the sink.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2012, 03:04 PM
    Bathroom sinks usually get clogged hair. If trap has clean out plug in bottom, remove and clean out. If no plug run a snake through it.

Be sure to have a bowl under trap when u remove plug as there is water in it.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water coming up from bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have water coming up in the bathroom sink as well as the kitchen (1st floor). There is standing water at the bottom of the dishwasher that won't drain. There is no water coming up in the drains in the basement. When the toilet is flushed, there is a gurgling noise coming from the tub. Also, there...

No water coming out of hot water side for kitchen sink [ 18 Answers ]

Only water from the line of the cold side is coming out of the kitchen faucet. No water is coming out of the line for the hot water. We checked the faucets for the rest of the house and there is no problems (both bathrooms). What could be the problem. This problem happened today. I need some help.

Water coming up in sink [ 1 Answers ]

Drain has water coming up into sink. I have used draino etc but it is now coming up. No oder.

Noise coming from the sink when water is on for 30 sec. [ 1 Answers ]

There is a noise coming from our bathroom sink after leaving the water running on cold for 30 sec.. Sounds like a thumping noise coming from the valve under this sink... almost like air is coming though the system... Thanks for the help Greg Greg1966@pacbellnet

Water coming up in sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have water coming UP in the bathroom sink when the water softener is on, if I by pass it no problem. What can I check?

View more questions Search