Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theworld1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Dress code
    If I am a woman who does not feel comftable wearing closed clothing, can I wear shirts that are open but only show a little bit of cleavage? I am not that big so the shirts only make me feel more attractive.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 10, 2007, 02:40 AM
    And what about the men that will look at you and might commit adultery in their hearts because of the way you have presented yourself? Are you a born again christian?
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Sep 10, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Marily,

I see and understand your point. However, men aren't as weak-willed and easily tempted as that. As Christian men, we know we are to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5).

A momentary "Wow!" and then moving on isn't the same as deliberate wanton lust.

If we follow that train of thought, then women should still be wearing those things that squash them down and make them look like boys.

A lady can be wearing a "Little House on the Prairie" dress and I, being an adult male, know reasonably well what lies underneath. I don't need cleavage or a short skirt to tell me if a lady's body is attractive or not.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 01:25 PM
    I wouldn't allow it as an HR manager in my workplace. It could lead to too many problems.

If you can find an employer that doesn't have a problem with it, or don't have to work, there's nothing to stop you.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 06:14 PM
    I suggest you think more of others than of yourself. It is expected that women will dress modestly particularly in Church and not seek to attract the attention of men. We are not to be conformed to the world.

Sep 11, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marily
    And what about the men that will look at you and might commit adultery in their hearts because of the way you have presented yourself? Are you a born again christian?
    I don't think that they will commit adultery in they're hearts by just by a little of cleavage.

Sep 11, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kindj
    Marily,

I see and understand your point. However, men aren't as weak-willed and easily tempted as that. As Christian men, we know we are to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5).

A momentary "Wow!" and then moving on isn't the same as deliberate wanton lust.

If we follow that train of thought, then women should still be wearing those things that squash them down and make them look like boys.

A lady can be wearing a "Little House on the Prairie" dress and I, being an adult male, know reasonably well what lies underneath. I don't need cleavage or a short skirt to tell me if a lady's body is attractive or not.
    To: KindJ
    I just want to feel pretty and look pretty, with a little of cleavage rather than a t-shirt that I always wear, not wanting to appear like a slut, or wear tight leather pants with everything hanging out.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Where are you wearing the shirt with a little cleavage? If you are wearing it at work and it is not approved, then you know not to be dressed like that. If you are out in public, dining out, for example, be my guest and dress the way you want. One dress code does not fit for all situations. Unless, for religious reasons, there is a dress code that applies in all and every circumstance.
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Are you talking about a v neck blouse or something else? I interpreted your original post to mean you wanted to wear a blouse unbuttoned way down. Guess I need a better understanding of what you mean to revise my opinion.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 11, 2007, 06:18 PM
    I guess the issue is that I don't know what type of clothes you are talking about,

As a pastor, I find some types of clothing to be distracting, and to me improper in church, blouses that look like things are going to jump out of, or skirts so short you hope they don't get a splinter from the church pew.

But this type of dress is not good for anywhere really.

But then my biggest issue is cell phones, and text messages during church, or phones ringing during church.

But there should not have to be a dress code ( we don't have one) but there should be common decent dress that everyone should just understand

Sep 12, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    I wouldn't allow it as an HR manager in my workplace. It could lead to too many problems.

If you can find an employer that doesn't have a problem with it, or don't have to work, there's nothing to stop you.
    I would not wear it to work, but to a party or outside walking maybe in a park.

Sep 12, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    Are you talking about a v neck blouse or something else? I interpreted your original post to mean you wanted to wear a blouse unbuttoned way down. Guess I need a better understanding of what you mean to revise my opinion.
    Emland: Just a shirt with a little bit of cleavage does not make me an undecent person, for appropriate situations.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 11:01 AM
    I don't really understand what you are asking, I guess. When I first read your question I assumed you meant that you would wear the shirt opened, i.e. not button up your shirt at all.

So much depends on your culture, your values and where you work. What is appropriate to some is completely indecent to others. If you find that people look at your chest before they look at your face, you may want to reconsider your outfit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bra with dress? [ 9 Answers ]

I bought a halter dress, and I love it, but I don't want to not wear a bra with it. That's really uncomfortable to me, so I was wondering... what kind of bra can I wear with a v-neck halter dress? Thanks! Oh, by the way, its kind of low-cut. You can see it here: Torrid.com - Plus sizes -...

Dress shirts [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if a dress shirt that has a collar with a different color than the shirt has a specific name? Such as a blue shirt with a white collar (Thing Gordon Gekko in Wall Street). Most of the stores I have gone to know what I am talking about by describing the shirt but they don't have a...

Dress shoppin [ 2 Answers ]

OK mi 8th grade dance is coming up and I need a dress.. caan you guys help to find somewere were ic can get one pleasss... please don't say deb or nordstroms.. lol I need online places

I need help with picking a dress. [ 2 Answers ]

I am a sophomore and I am going to my boyfriends schools semi-formal winter carnival dance. I don't want to be to dressed up since I don't know many of the people there. I am 5' 4", brownish hair, brown eyes, freckles, and kind of tan but not really. And I like darker colors. I also am not looking...

Help! Need dress [ 1 Answers ]

Ok here is my scenario. I have all of my bridesmaid dresses and my dress, but I need semi formal dresses for my candlelighters that aren't expensive (Like under $40) They have to have thick straps and be covering everything (couldnt think of the word) Can anybody help me? :( :confused:

View more questions Search