Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fakeness84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Fake teeth
    Hi I have problems with my gums and teeth.all my top teeth are fake and when I close them toghter they go behind the bottom teeth I got them done about 5 months ago and can't get used to them at all I always finnd it hard to talk cause they get in the way of my tongue and when I got them put in it made a lump appear above one of my front teeth and its really annoying anyone know how I can make them feel better and lose the lump on my gum? Please any advice
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2006, 05:16 PM
    False teeth are hard to get used to, but a good fitting set will look natural and should fit properly.

If you are having trouble with the use and fit you should return to the dental lab that did the work.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

May 29, 2006, 09:58 PM
    It takes a while for the swelling to go down, then they need to be relined to make sure they fit. The lump is probably due to improper fit and them rubbing. Go back to the dentist and have them relined. It might take several relining to get a proper fit. It took me a year to finally get used to mine.
    As far as the lump, do you take them out at night and sleep without them? You need to give that raw spot a chance to heal.Swish your mouth with peroxide a couple of times a day. Try different denture adhesives until you find one that gives a very strong seal. I use fixodent complete. I really like it.
    There is a product called Cushion Grip Thermoplastic Denture Adhesive. This is like the plastic stuff you put a glob on a straw and blew up into ballons as a kid. It works great as a temp. fix acting as a liner until you can get to the dentist. I strongly caution you to follow the directions if you use this. Too much can make a huge mess.
    Good luck to you
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2006, 06:05 AM
    HI,
    You have some very good answers. I, too, highly suggest taking them back to your Dentist, explaining what is going on, and he/she will realign them.
    At 64 yrs old, I have had the worst teeth and gums I think any person could have had, for a very long time. Last year, I had the remaining teeth pulled, which were getting loose! Couldn't eat very well, with loose teeth. After many dental visits for dentures, they are now GREAT, both upper and lower dentures.
    My dentist, after having the dentures come back from a lab, gave me a certain number of times I could come back, with no charge, for realigning.
    He would take a little off here and there, causing them to feel better. After 4 months, had to have the bottom ones sent back to the lab, for further aligning. My gums had changed.
    All this took approximately 6 months! It took that long, cause I had about 10 teeth extracted, and it took that long for my gums to finally stabilize, not changing or growing.
    I also tried some of the over-the-counter stuff, to try making them feel better, and fit better... they did, but had to keep using the stuff.
    Now, I don't use anything but a good tube of Poligrip.
    I highly suggest you take it back to the Dentist. Get it fixed, so it will be comfortable, and not depend on buying this over-the-counter stuff for the rest of your life! Best of luck.
    workhorse Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2006, 08:11 PM
    Two years ago I had all my uppers and all my lower back teeth pulled. I was given a choice that I could either put the new teeth right in and let me try to get used to it as the swelling goes down or I could wait. Being one not enjoying anymore mouth pain I waited. A few weeks later I went back and got fitted. It took the dentist several times to get them feeling half way decent. My gums were sore at first but they got used to it. Use some tooth gel like fixodent to lesson the roughness and give a little cushion.

The biggest thing is wear them. If you can handle only an hour at a time, wear them for that hour and put them back in as soon as possible. Don't try to eat anything too chewy at first and stick with some of the softer foods.

Good Luck
    TEXAS2288 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2006, 08:57 AM
    Thanks foreveryones reply. I just was trying to make him understand that false teeth are not real teeth and that they just don't work right off. That it takes time and several trips to the dentist and depending on how bad your gums were as is to how long it may really take before they work. I just felt bad that he goes in there and tells the dentist that he didn't do them right to begin with and that he saw someone else and they said to have them redone or he can sue. I really don't know how another dentist can even say that with out x-rays and not know the pts history. I understand about being upset because he still has trouble but at the same time I feel he needs to understand that dentures just don't work right off. Thanks for all the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fake Manned Moon Landing? [ 47 Answers ]

There is a group of people who claim that the United States faked the manned moon landing. They point to anomalies in the photographs as well as the radiation hazard of the trip and landing on te moon itself. Would like to hear opinions on this. Thanks!

Fake zoning in two story house. [ 3 Answers ]

So I have the relatively common problem of non-uniform heating/cooling in my house and I'd like some input on how to make the best of the situation. I've put up with it for a couple years, but now, I'm at my breaking point. Basics: I have a 1600 sq ft, 15 year old, two story house with a...

Fake green bills [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, At the end of May 2006, I withdrew $1,000 (in 10 of $100 bills) from a local Bank of America branch, and gave these money to my sister as her wedding gift. Last month, my sister, who lives in another country, went to her local bank to exchange these $1,000 into local currency. However, the...

Removing Fake Brick [ 2 Answers ]

Is there an easy way to remove fake brick from the kitchen area, because we're remodeling the kitchen.

I was caught making fake money [ 3 Answers ]

I recently was busted for making fake 20's, I passed 8 fake 20 dollar bills. The police found another 15 or so in my trash. I understand that I committed a federal offense, what would be a ballpark of my punishment? I'm a single mom with 2 boys who's father recently committed suicide?

View more questions Search