Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Bose sound system
    Soooo - the battery on my husband's car died and I had it replaced. Now I've discovered that when the radio/sound system, whatever it's called, loses power it shuts down and has to be reprogrammed. The dealer says they can't help me because it's after market (which I don't think it is, but my husband had the car when we met so I have no first hand knowledge). They are at a loss as to how to reprogram it.

I think I know the four digit code (I find a code written down but no indication what it is) but have no idea how to reprogram the system.

I emailed Bose and got no answer and called and got transferred several times and didn't get an answer.

Does anyone know how to reprogram the system? Or where I go next?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 08:17 AM
    What model and year of car? Have you checked the owner's manual for instructions?

I have a Bose system in my '96 Audi, which has their "Delta CC" radio. If the radio loses power it goes into "SAFE" mode, which requires you enter a 4-digit code. This is intended to be an anti-theft feature. For this car to enter the code you press and hold the "FM1/2" and "DX" buttons simultaneously for several seconds, until "0000" appears in the display. Then you use the station preset buttons 1 through 4 to enter the code, and then press "FM1/2" and "DX" again to enter it. The radio then resets itself, and you're good to go.

Again, this is for the Audi from the '96 time frame. Other models will have a different procedure. With some of them if you misenter the code 3 times the radio will not let you try again for a while.
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    What model and year of car? Have you checked the owner's manual for instructions?

I have a Bose system in my '96 Audi, which has their "Delta CC" radio. If the radio loses power it goes into "SAFE" mode, which requires you enter a 4-digit code. This is intended to be an anti-theft feature. For this car to enter the code you press and hold the "FM1/2" and "DX" buttons simultaneously for several seconds, until "0000" appears in the display. Then you use the station preset buttons 1 through 4 to enter the code, and then press "FM1/2" and "DX" again to enter it. The radio then resets itself, and you're good to go.

Again, this is for the Audi from the '96 time frame. Other models will have a different procedure. With some of them if you misenter the code 3 times the radio will not let you try again for a while.

Hmm - I tried this. I am REALLY appreciative - but no luck.

It's a 2008 Mercedes S class sedan. The dealer tells me that they don't have the codes. I can't find the book and don't know that I've ever seen it. Dealer has suggested (of course) that I remove the system and replace it. I'm afraid to ask just what that would cost.

I'm still working on how a car that was purchased in November had a dead battery in August!

My husband loved cars and I sold one of his shortly after he passed away and I am wondering if I included the info on this sound system with the papers for that car. The buyer is in Florida and I've been trying to reach him.

Otherwise I'm going to be driving around in a MB with a $25 boom box on the passenger seat.

Of all the things my husband and I talked about during his illness, of all the things he told me about, warned me about, this was NOT one of them!

Curses!
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Just a little FYI for anyone that runs into this headache. This tool cost me a whopping $14. It's a 9V battery plug at one end, and a power outlet socket at the other end.
    You connect a "new" 9V battery to it, then plug it into your power outlet. Turn your key to ACC and have all other things off, incl dome light.
    Now change out the car battery in a timely fashion, and disconnect. All memory functions stay in tact.
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Aug 26, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Soooo - the battery on my husband's car died and I had it replaced. Now I've discovered that when the radio/sound system, whatever it's called, loses power it shuts down and has to be reprogrammed. The dealer says they can't help me because it's after market (which I don't think it is, but my husband had the car when we met so I have no first hand knowledge). They are at a loss as to how to reprogram it.

I think I know the four digit code (I find a code written down but no indication what it is) but have no idea how to reprogram the system.

I emailed Bose and got no answer and called and got transferred several times and didn't get an answer.

Does anyone know how to reprogram the system? Or where I go next?
    Bose did not make the audio system for the 2008 Mercedes S-Class. It came with a factory installed Harman-Kardon audio system.
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Seems that MB won't help you , since it's not their radio. Can you tell us the manufacturer and model number of the radio? I was not aware that Bose makes any after-market car radios - several manufacturers have teamed up with Bose to produce special stereo systems for cars, typically meaning special speakers and amplifiers - but I've never seen an after-market Bose radio. That may be why the Bose people gave you the run-around. These systems typically have radios actually manufactured by Alpine, Blaupunkt, etc. to the car manufacturer's spec. On my Audi, for example, when you start up the radio it says "Bose" in the display, but the radio is actually made by Alpine.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregisteredtrademark
    Bose did not make the audio system for the 2008 Mercedes S-Class. It came with a factory installed Harman-Kardon audio system.

I know - that's why I explained it's after market. It has Bose on the speakers and on the changer (which I believe is 5 disk). That's all I know.

Are you saying that a Bose couldn't be installed in the car, that it's some other radio with Bose speakers/changer - ? If so and you are correct, I don't know why MB keeps saying it's not their system. Do you have any idea?
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Seems that MB won't help you , since it's not their radio. Can you tell us the manufacturer and model number of the radio? I was not aware that Bose makes any after-market car radios - several manufacturers have teamed up with Bose to produce special stereo systems for cars, typically meaning special speakers and amplifiers - but I've never seen an after-market Bose radio. That may be why the Bose people gave you the run-around. These systems typically have radios actually manufactured by Alpine, Blaupunkt, etc. to the car manufacturer's spec. On my Audi, for example, when you start up the radio it says "Bose" in the display, but the radio is actually made by Alpine.

MB rep looked at it yesterday - they definitely did not install it. Question is: who did?

The radio face is black, no name on it, won't turn on and I honestly don't know what it said. I never paid attention. The speakers have Bose on them as does the changer in the trunk.

They tell me the model number is "most likely" on the radio, a serial number, if you pull the radio out but they won't touch it because they didn't install it.

I have an appointment for Friday with a local sound system dealer. He does a lot of custom cars and is willing to take a look at it. He also says it's a 4 digit code but that it would be preset at the factory so it's not a question of figuring out what code my husband would have chosen.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Have somebody check out why a dead battery also, Judy. You don't need that to happen in a big hurry again. Less than a year is not good. Might have some kind of electrical drain going on somewhere.
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Aug 27, 2008, 06:34 AM
    It is correct that Bose does not make after market car audio systems. Chances are that someone took a head unit out of an older model Mercedes (i.e. 2004) and put in this car. Bose and Mercedes split ways a few years back. For the most part Bose does not make the head unit, it is usually a partnership with branding with the exception of the newest models (i.e. Maseratti). Bose does make the amplifiers and the speakers. So with all that said, you will have to pull the head unit and get the model numbers off the back or bottom before any real suggestion could be offered. Hope this helps.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Hello Judy:

I USED to know how to do this stuff. In fact, I was the guy people called to program their VCR's. But, times have changed - or I have... Now, I call the Geek Squad. Or, you could just drive into Best Buy. If they can't fix it, I'll bet they won't charge you.

excon
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Judy:

I USED to know how to do this stuff. In fact, I was the guy people called to program their VCR's. But, times have changed - or I have..... Now, I call the Geek Squad. Or, you could just drive into Best Buy. If they can't fix it, I'll bet they won't charge you.

excon

So - I can either drive to wherever you are and see if you can figure it out OR go to Best Buy - ?

Either one is better than the deal the stereo shop guy is offering me - there is a fee to walk into his shop and talk to the people who are dressed in white, just like Physicians, only more expensive and not covered by health insurance.

I am getting the sinking feeling "we" may have been ripped off.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 08:09 AM
    I agree that the Bose systems are custom engineered for certain high end vehicles. They won't put their name on it if it doesn't sound good.

First, take a look at the owner's manual for the CAR. It may have something about the "Premium sound system"

I found thiis on the net. Factory Car Stereo Repair - Bose Facts - Bose Stereo, Speaker / Amp Repair

You might get some answers there.

The model number probably matters and Bose should be able to tell you what model was used it that vehicle. Talk to a human.

I know a high end audio installer. I could call him to see what he knows.

In some stereo's there are two codes. A master code and a user defined code. Master codes are known by dealers.

Same thing, you can have a key made just knowing the VIN of the car, but only at the dealer. Even ECM's can be told that there is no RFID key programmed for the system.

Somethimes thiings have to go back to the factory to be reset. Reason is that some IC's have what's called a JTAG interface and it can be used to program values anywhere.

This would be the method that when a firmware update messed up, it could be programmed using the embedded processor development tools.
    davehammond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2012, 12:30 PM
    My code is 1230 but there is no 0 button on the console of the Delta system. How do I enter the number 0 when the only buttons available are 1 through 6?
    Expert

Jul 25, 2012, 12:55 PM
    Dave - if you're asking about an Audi radio I suggest that you try positing this question in one of the Audi online forums, such as Audi | A4 A6 S4 TT A5 S5 | New, Used Reviews, Test Drives - Audiworld.com or quattroworld.com Forums: Directory. Be sure to post in an area that's appropriate for your model of car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sound system (speakers) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have two sound systems in the same room No1:- Receiver with 2 front 2 rear 1 centre 1 subwoofer speakers Hooked up to Receiver DVD, VCR and TV No2:- Receiver with centre speaker only (80w) Hooked up to Receiver, CD Player Question is:- Can I hook up cables from...

How do I get the sound system [ 2 Answers ]

Check to see if the sound card is properly recognized by the PC. Go to Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - Sound, video, and game controllers To make sure it shows the devices and drivers something like the attached image. But, nothing happens... Please help me solve the...

Sound system deleted [ 1 Answers ]

I deleted sound system from my computer I have windows XP can any one help me get it back. And its not in my control panel. The software I have no sound at all:mad:

Connections for RCA surround sound system [ 2 Answers ]

I had this figured out at one point in my life, but then I moved. Here's my dillema. Normal Sylvania TV, Magnavox DVD/VCR and RCA surround system-How do I connect these three? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

New sound system in truck [ 1 Answers ]

Installing new audio system in 2003 dodge truck looking for wiring info on factory radio.

View more questions Search