Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logicalthinker Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2009, 07:26 PM
    Can a restricted license be for more than just driving to work?
    A friend of mine is charged with DWI. They have explained to her that she will lose her license if she takes the plea or is found guilty via trial. She gets visitation with her daughter every other weekend, and has to drive 3 hours away to pick her up. This means 6 hours on Friday, and 6 hours on Sunday every other weekend. Is there any chance at all a judge might allow that on a restricted license?
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

Apr 26, 2009, 08:05 PM

No...
    Restrictited lic is used for work and for emergency (medical treatment) and that's it.

Apr 26, 2009, 08:11 PM

Ok I know that's not accurate, I know people that have restricted licenses that get a certain amount of time on weekends. Usually only a couple hours though.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 08:18 PM

Sorry if you "know" why did you ask. But normally the judge will only issue it for going to work, anything else is personal and theyhave to find a way, get a friend to take them.

They are of course free to ask the judge to include that, and to list the address she will drive to, and the times of day this will happen at.

But I would personally bet money against the judge allowing it.

Apr 26, 2009, 08:24 PM

Ok thanks. I wasn't trying to imply that I knew the answer to my own question. I didn't know if judges ever deviate from what is considered the "norm" for a restricted license.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2009, 08:27 PM

Judges do rule all sort of strange things all the time. He could rule that your friend could only drive in a red shirt if he wanted to,

The DWI and picking kids up. It could go either way, a over protective judge may see them as a possible danger to the kids if they would consider driving DWI, another more liberal judge would want them to see the children.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

Apr 26, 2009, 08:35 PM
    You must have a hearing before the Department of Motor Vehicles requesting the restricted license. During that hearing, the DMV Hearing Officer asks questions about your driving needs. For instance, where do you live? Where do you work? What hours do you work? If you attend college, what hours are those classes and where are they? If you have regular doctor's appointments, where are they? Stuff like that. All of that information gets put into the DMV computer. When an officer stops you, he has access to this information. If you are not somewhere that is in a reasonably straight line between two approved geographic points, you are cited for Driving Under Revocation for an Alcohol Related Offense and, if convicted of same, are sentenced to a statutorily mandated jail sentence.

[yahoo answers]

Apr 26, 2009, 08:49 PM

Thanks for all the input. I think it seems highly unlikely that a judge would allow for that much drive time on the weekends. My friend knows I frequent this website and I told her I would post the question. I'll pass along the info you've passed along to me. Thanks again :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intentionally losing my driving license ! [ 8 Answers ]

Ive got 9 points on my license now , all for ridiculous speed camera offences... IE I didn't know there was a camera there and was doing less than 40 on a 30 limit at 12 oclock at night with no pedestrians around type stuff. Anyway I want to lose my licence by committing another offence, then...

Driving with suspended license [ 12 Answers ]

Good Morning, Unfortunately, I was stopped while driving with no ins. And a suspended license. I'm not proud of this. I had to get a public defender and I have an upcoming court appearance. I spoke to him and he said that to help myself out, I should call the dmv and ask them how I can help the...

Driving on suspended license [ 3 Answers ]

I was charged with d.s.l. got my license straight then suspended again because I forgot about a ticket this is all in Georgia.got caught again for d.s.l. because I forgot about ticket and court date. Have not been to court on either one. What are possibilities and advice.

Evoked driving license [ 4 Answers ]

Can a person whose driving was evoked at IL because of DUI get driving license at Canada?

Revoked driving license [ 11 Answers ]

My husband has two dui in the state of illinios which happen back in 1995 OK now we live in Wisconsin and he received another one in sept 2004 he has since went sober and has been for 2 years and 1 month which I am proud of him. I forgot to add his license were revoked in illinios and Wisconsin...

View more questions Search