Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shelley Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2005, 05:39 PM
    I'm dumb...
    Hi there does anyone know the difference between GB and MB when it comes to disk space?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2005, 07:05 PM
    Some of the people that throw them around may not know either. There are 1000 megabytes in a gigabytes. Truly dumb people go on not knowing instead of asking.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2005, 02:21 AM
    Exactly, don't call yourself dumn, your right, people who don't ask are dumn
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2005, 04:57 AM
    Gigs and Mb's
    Hi,
    The smallest, practically, is:
    a byte
    then;
    1 kb (kilo byte) = 1,000 bytes; Kilo means 1,000 times as much
    1 Meg (Mega byte) = 1,000 Kb; Mega means 1,000,000 times as much
    1 Gig (Giga byte) = 1,000 Mb; Giga means 1,000,000,000 times as much.

So, One Gig (or GB) is one billion bytes.
    Overwhelming!
    Have a Happy Easter,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 27, 2005, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley
    Hi there does anyone know the difference between GB and MB when it comes to disk space?
    Shelly,
    Dumb is the inability to learn. You aren't dumb, just lacking knowledge in this area.

Following is the ACCURATE answer as well as some background on how this works. Computer memory (both storage and RAM) is built on a BIT as the smallest component. A BIT holds one of 2 values; 0 or 1. Eight bits make up a BYTE which is often referred to as a computer word. A Kilobyte is 1024 bytes and the numbers increase from there. A megabyte is 1024 K, a Gigabyte 1024 M and so on. The next level is Terabyte.

This difference between 1000 and 1024 can cause confusion. For example. Lets say I have a 20G hard drive. I look at the properties using My Computer and it lists it as 20.5G, but it shows as 22,024,392,704 bytes. You might think, using the 1000 multiplier, that it should be 22G, but because the multiplier is really 1024, you actually get a higher number of bytes.

I hope this has served to increase you knowledge.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2005, 11:54 AM
    I think I see an easy question that I can give a prompt answer to, and Scott provides me a learning experience.

I have long known a K is 1024, but didn't realize a meg was K X K. Why 1024? It is 2^10 and similar to the 10^3 used in the metric system. Like some people, computers see everything in black and white, on or off with no shades of gray. Each on has a possible on and off, and each off a possible on and off. Thus things double with each bit, until you have 1024 bytes.

A kilometer still has 1000 meters, etc.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 27, 2005, 12:09 PM
    Hi Labman,

Well if I was going to add something to the previous answers I wanted to add value. I wouldn't have added anything if the accurate answer had been previously given. But to answer your question, its based on two things. First that a kilo is 1000 times something and that computing is based on the binary numbering system. So that a kilobyte has to be 2 raised to a power that produces a number near 1000. So 2^10 is 1024.
    Shelley Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2005, 01:21 PM
    Awwww thanks!
    Thanks all of you guys for all of your responses!! It makes sense now! I appreciate all of your knowledge and help!
    Best Regards!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are blondes really dumb [ 21 Answers ]

Is it ture that blondes are really dumb

Are we dumb a##'s that is missing something. [ 2 Answers ]

My wife got a greate dane he is now 10 weeks old.We read and have been told not to spank him or jerk him around because we will hurt his feelings or even may be hurt him. Ok then what are we suposta do then.there is just so many things I can list that he is doing that I feel like getting a low...

Dumb question? [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone explain, by example(s) the difference(s) between a dry vent and a wet vent? Looked all over the Internet for examples... now more confused than ever.

Help me I'm dumb [ 1 Answers ]

What are some common uses for calcium carbonate?

Dumb about men [ 1 Answers ]

What do you think of a first date with a man and both like the date & each other a lot. He calls right away about liked date & wants to go out again. He calls, again but never gets around to when 2nd date? Talks about where to go etc. Confused. Still likes me, etc. Should I give up or what? Should...

View more questions Search