Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angieandjohn Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
    Maternity leave conflicting with sponcering Husband for Canadian Perm Res?
    I;m about to go on Maternity leave here in Canada in a couple months, something that every Canadian mother and or father is entitled to in Canada. Im just wanting to make sure that taking this will not interfere with my application to sponcer my husband for his perm residence? Im also curious if I would be able to take part in a program offered by EI where they assist me through EI, not welfare, to go back to school the year after I have my baby. I was told as long as it wasn't welfare I would be all right, but I want to make sure that going on EI or getting sponcered by it would not mess up my chances of having my husband stay in the country. Hopefully we would have his perm. Residence by September of 2010 anyway and it won't matter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 10:20 AM

Well on maternity leave your still getting paid a salary by your employer so I don't believe this would be a problem, as long as your salary is more than the minimum required to sponsor a spouse.

As for going on an EI program to get help through school this might be a problem. Here is a quote off the CIC website regarding sponsorship (link below):

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:

Received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
    If you can afford to do so go and speak to an Immigration lawyer, they would probably charge $50 or less for a consultation and see what they say.

Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children
    angieandjohn Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2009, 03:34 PM

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maternity leave [ 1 Answers ]

I am working right now trying to get as many hours in as I can before I leave on mat leave. I am leaving begingin of feb and am due beginning of march. Inorder to get mat leave unemployment.. how many months do they count up to before you leave? I'm from ontario canada, so you get mat money.

Maternity leave [ 3 Answers ]

I am a hiar stylist who is 7 months pregnant, I do not have maternity leave with my employers. Is there any kind of assistance I gan get during my leave? I am just making enough right now to pay bills so I am concerned on how to pay my bills while I am not able to work.

Maternity Leave [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I am currently pregnant and very EXCITED! :) My question is: How long to I have to go back to work after Maternity Leave so all my health insurance is covered? See my situation is my boyfriend and I aren't married, but we are putting the baby on his insurance once it's born so that...

Maternity leave [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my husband are trying for a baby and I'm just wondering if I should get a insurance out when I'm pregnant to cover maternity leave.Its just that we are both self employed and I have not long started my business and I think we will need all the help we could get.. Does anyone know of any...

View more questions Search