Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wewin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2013, 12:55 PM
    Landline Tap
    What does it mean when my landline telephone rings, I answer it hear a click and then it dials a number on its own? I have not hit redial or any other button because the number the phone dials goes to the voice mailbox of Jeff Brown. I do not know this person at all .
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2013, 06:24 PM
    Sounds like there is a mix of wires either at a local box or at the main box. (two different numbers have gotten mixed somehow. Also possible, someone near you has hooked up a phone and wired it illegally into the system.

What has the phone company said, when you reported the problem to them. And how many times has it happened. Strange things once or twice can just be a switching error at computer.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2013, 08:46 AM
    If the Phone Company can't help(mention Jeff Browns Voice Mail), I would do a couple of things.
    A Phone Manager, it logs outgoing digits dialed, and caller ID, You would see who they are calling.
    Radio shack and other places have an In Use Indicator, you could pick up when YOUR line is being used.
    Some phones have In Use Indiacator(off hook), They work by the reduced voltage when off hook. If one lights and you pick up and hear silence, They are unplugging your line when using it. They? May be using your line when they see you are gone.
    Pick up quietly when lit, may also hear something.
    A phone line recorder, if Legal, may help expose someone.
    Maybe just crossed wires as mentioned.
    A Hot Dialer will dial a Preprogrammed number when a Phone goes "Off Hook", Try plugging a phone directly at the Outside Phone box, shoud be a jack, unplug, try your phone, then plug back in.
    I used to install Mitel Smart 1's, Call controller for Realtors, and Law Offices, these would be programmed so when you dialed a number, it would hold this Number, then dial a number like 10ATT, then your dialed number. It would go through their switch for Long Distance Billing, and everyone would use an Individual code to Dial Long Distance, so each could pay their own bill.

Aug 4, 2013, 07:51 AM
    Thank you.

Aug 4, 2013, 08:03 AM
    Landline Tap Part 2
    I posted about a possible landline tap where my telephone rings. I answer it. Then I hear a telephone ringing as though I placed a cal. Then a voice message comes on saying "Hello you have reached the voice mail box of Jeff Brown..."

I got a couple of great answers.

I called the phone company about it and they checked and could find nothing. They also said since I DO NOT have call forwarding there is no way my phone could have called another number in the manner described.

They advise that if anything else happens to call and ask them to open a "trouble Ticket".

Today I was talking with a relative and I could hear them but they could not hear me. Then the phone went dead but I could still hear background noises like some moving about.

Anyway, my relative came back online and stated that they could barely hear because of loud static then the phone went dead.

Next, my relative heard a click and a voice came on saying ; "The number you have reached has been disconnected or is no longer in service."

Then my relative stated they heard a click and a voice said; "The caller you have reached is out of the caller's zone."

I was calling on a hardwired landline telephone.

Is it probable that I have an illegal tap or someone is learning how to tap a phone through trial and error for their job?
    Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 08:31 AM
    Not a tap, as in a listening device but the other issue would be if someone has connected a wire to your line, like a neighbor.

But with that said, what happened today, is also something that can just happen because of interference or a loop in the wire system. This is a common issue,
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 4, 2013, 05:55 PM
    Ask for a trounle ticket to be opened. It sounds like crossed wires. I had that happen before when they were installing someone else's line.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2013, 07:25 PM
    I had a call one evening and when I answered I was immediately tapped into sounds of people talking like a speaker phone was operating and they didn't know it. They could not hear me. I hung up and a short while later another call came in and I could see it was the same number. I left it go to my answering machine and it went on for several minutes.
    I called the phone co. from my cell phone while the conversation continued to tape on the ans, machine.
    Phone co. said -no, that can't happen etc. But shortly after ending the call with phone co. the goofy call stopped. Coincidence or did they find a problem at a central switching station? Don't know.
    But the bottom line is that any equipment or lines anywhere in the chain can malfunction.
    If someone is messing with your phone line though they can cost you some serious bucks. Let the phone co. check it out and keep an eye on your bill. You should be able to check now with the co. to determine if any unusual charges are already on your bill.
    You could also tape the call as I did or with a voice recorder, which may be of use for the phone co. technician.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2013, 05:47 PM
    Since the call didn't work as figured, did you try at the outside "D Marc"?
    Check your contacts of the cord and the jack it plugs into.
    Expert

Aug 5, 2013, 07:44 PM
    I guess my question, why do you think someone would "tap" your phone.

If this was a police tap, almost always it is going to never show up on your phone, there is no poor connection, it is done at the phone switch box and at the most, would be one ring on your phone, then nothing.

If someone else, a ex spouse, a neighbor, perhaps a south american drug lord, is putting a illegal tap on your phone, depending on how, there can be poor phone quality, but even those would not allow you to hear other calls. That is merely phone company wire issues
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2013, 06:44 AM
    Fr, I believe they think someone is on their Line(tapped), either Accidential or Intentional. I believe something has been done, either Accidentially or Intentionally.
    I just eliminated a bunch of phone wiring for a customer, found their (Xfinity or Uverse, don't want to say which)which brought its service in on coax, and dialtone was generated inside the house(VOIP), and was feeding through the old Dmarc, and out to the street and beyond. No need for dial tone to exit the house.
    They need to disconnect telco from Dmarc when Voip, Potentially a way to create a problem, maybe even this?
    Leave Jeff Brown a Voice mail, have him call you or friend on Cell Phone to help solve?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have gas hot water heat and hear banging in the walls usually at night like tap tap [ 2 Answers ]

I have gas hot water heat and hear banging in the walls usually at night like tap tap tap getting really loud then slowing down can someone please provide some solutions to this? Is it that my pipes need insulation to stop the expansion and contraction while the hot water runs through? All...

When I turn my mixer tap on in my bathroom my kitchen tap runs could it need a valve [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn my mixer tap on in my bathroom my kitchen mixer tap runs could it need a valve fitting

Cold water OK in kitchen tap but no hot -mixer tap [ 3 Answers ]

No problems with tap which is a mixer in kitchen, suddenly no hot water but cold water coming out OK. Could this be a build up of lime? And how can I fix it?

My problem is, I have water from the hot tap but not the cold tap.Why? [ 3 Answers ]

My heating is from a Baxi Combi Boiler. Direct mains Feed. I have hot water from the tap in my kitchen but there is no water coming out of the cold tap. My bathroom supply is fine as is the water to the toilet. Why is there no cold water from the kitchen tap.

I have only luke warm water coming through my hot bath tap and sink tap [ 0 Answers ]

Hello I am suddenly only getting luke warm water coming through the hot taps in my bathroom. All other rooms are fine. I have a bungalow with two bathrooms a kitchen and a utility room. The system is run off a LPG combi boiler.

View more questions Search