Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thandamilk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 08:25 AM
    On L1A Visa - Confused about residence status & Best way to file
    Hi,

Thanks in advance for your time.

I moved to Chicago, IL from India on October 2, 2007 on an L1A visa. My wife moved on November 25, 2007 on an L2. While both of us have SSNs, neither of us have a state issued driver's license. Both of us expect to be in Chicago for the whole of 2008 with our respective visa status.

While my wife hasn't worked until now, her employment authorization just came through and we expect her to be earning as well for part of 2008.

What in your opinion is the best way for us to file 2007 state taxes? Are we part-year residents or non-residents? Do let me know if you require any further information to assist me with this query.

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Choice 1: File nonresident tax return. You will only get exemption of $3,400. You can deduct moving expenses on form 3903 and itemized deductions (included state taxes paid). Normally you should choose this only when all your deductions are equal to or more than your total income.

Choice 2: File joint return as residents. But you can file the return only after May 15, 2008.
    thandamilk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 08:35 AM
    MukatA - thanks for your prompt response.

I actually filed my Federal returns. My state returns got rejected because TurboTax (the software I used to e-file) automatically selected 'part year resident' as our filing status. The state return has been subsequently rejected.

Should I simply wait for May 15, 2008 and refile with corrected residence status, or do I need to do anything from now till then?

Appreciate your assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    Choice 1: File nonresident tax return. You will only get exemption of $3,400. You can deduct moving expenses on form 3903 and itemized deductions (included state taxes paid). Normally you should choose this only when all your deductions are equal to or more than your total income.

Choice 2: File joint return as residents. But you can file the return only after May 15, 2008.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2008, 06:38 PM
    For IL you are nonresident or part year resident. Turbo tax will not do federal nonresident tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married file jointly with Residence Alien status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a new comer here and have a question about tax. I came to US in 2003 as F1 so now I am still a non-residence alien for tax purpose. I got married last november(2007.11). And My wife is a Residence alien for tax purpose. We decided to file jointly this year and want to make sure...

US Residence status for tax 2007 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came in US on 24July and my wife came on 27Aug... we were here for less than 183 days in 2007... Can we still file 1040 regular form... I was reading at some site that: You can do it as a First-Year choice. If you do not meet either the green card test or the substantial presence...

Does a j1 visa holder non residence receive more taxes back than a US residence? [ 6 Answers ]

Last year... my taxes were 1100 dollars(federal + state ),, that is what my w2 showed... I got back 1000 dollars for those 4 months i worked that year... This year my taxes are 4000 dollars (federal + state) that what it shows my w2 and its more money cause i worked 12 months.. right? ...

Residence of India entering in US with H1B Visa (Tax Query) [ 1 Answers ]

I am an married Indian residence. I am planing to come US with H1B visa in the month of November-07. My monthly Salary will be $5000. My job location will be in Ohio. How much should I pay as a TAX to US. If after 3 month I call my wife & daughter with H4 visa. Will it help me in tax saving. If...

F1 Visa Status to H1B Visa Status [ 0 Answers ]

I am student doing my Masters. I intend starting my OPT from October 1, 2007. An employer has agreed to file H1B for me after April 1, 2008. I guess my H1B Visa will be approved some time in June/July 2008. I want to know when will my status be changed from F1 to H1B. Will it be effective from the...

View more questions Search