Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxxdtm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 04:07 AM
    Felony and International Travel
    I have a felony conviction from 2 years ago. I already hold a valid US Passport. I want to travel to Mexico. When I return and check in at immigration will they be able to see I have a felony and left the country without permission? Will they notify my parole?

Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Hello xx:

They might.

excon

PS> You can't get permission??

Mar 2, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello xx:

They might.

excon

PS> You can't get permission????????

How would they know?

Mar 2, 2007, 10:48 AM
    How would they know?
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxdtm
    When I return and check in at immigration will they be able to see I have a felony and left the country without permission?
    Hello again, xxx:

Dude! You asked whether they could see if you have a felony. I answered, that they might. Now you're asking how they'd know?? I don't know if they're going to know. I said they MIGHT know...

excon
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Mar 2, 2007, 04:22 PM
    With the way things are nowadays there is a very good chance of you being found out at customs.
    Don't do anything as to land you back in the courts and get time for it. Check with your probation officer tell him how long you will be gone etc.
    A vacation is not worth the risk of what you could be facing.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Yes, you can get found out at customs. How do they know? They have computers too! They have access to any piece of information that they deem necessary. Would they notify your P.O. They would notify the local authorities, who would notify whoever was necessary down the line.

Why take this risk? Just do the right thing, contact your P.O. before your trip to make sure you have the proper permission and dotted all the I's and crossed all the t's.
    incognito Posts: 92, Reputation: 24

Mar 2, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxdtm
    How would they know?

How hard is it to get permission?
    If it's a legitimate and crime-free trip then why would they say "no."
    It seems as though you want to try to get away with something.
    Were you locked up for your felony---Do you want to go back over something as trivial as not getting a piece of paper to cover your @55?
    CUSTUMCOLORZ Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Mar 5, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Mexicans do it all the time... lmao... I live in Arizona
    scouters1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 08:13 AM
    In most states you can be charged with absconding (escape) from supervision if you leave the country. Which is a felony. Means you will probably go to prison for it. Probably not worth the risk.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Hello again, x:

You do know that immigration and customs has a computer. When you come across the border, they'll look at the computer. I too, wonder what they see. But, I'll bet they won't tell me (or you). These days, I think they see plenty.

But, I don't think they'll see that you don't have permission to leave the country. I mean, THAT would be pretty amazing.

However, given that YOUR butt is the one that will go back to the slam if I'm wrong, would you risk it because some exconvict on the net thought you could get away with it? If it were me (AND IT HAS BEEN), I wouldn't (AND DIDN'T).

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International travel for convicted felons [ 41 Answers ]

My friend is a convicted felon. I know he can't travel to canada until five years past the date of his crime or the end of his sentence (whichever is later)... But what about other countries? In particular europe? France, uk, etc. Will be denied entry? At the border? He already has a...

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony [ 6 Answers ]

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony. I see many questions on this topic... please post my input. A summary Court Martial is not a felony conviction period! There is nothing in the military to equate a Court Martial to a felony or misdemeanor conviction. The federal courts look...

Felony record [ 6 Answers ]

I have a husband who has a felony record and he is pretty much dead in the water for 20 years he has already been out 10 but he can not be bonded,get a passport,he just got the right to vote back but every time he applies they shoot him down.I hope you are not treated as the same way excon I wish...

Felony expungment [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to get a felony expunged without having to wait 5-7 years, in Texas, after your probation. I'm ready to get a better job and focus on providing more for my child. I am currently on probation for check forgery, that I did when I was 19, very naïve and not mention dumb

View more questions Search