Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    9fred9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Well pump starts with a BANG!
    My well pump usually - but not always - starts with a major BANG! We had a new Goulds 7gpm pump installed a year ago. Several months later the water would stop flowing for a second, as the pump took too long to cut in after the low pressure trip point was reached.

No air is getting into the system. The well pump is about 350 feet down.

I called in the plumber that replaced the pump. He changed out the contacts on the pressure switch, which was operating normally (40-60 psi on-off). Made no difference. Then he bled air from the tank. Lots of air. After that the water flow was continuous, but when the pump starts up, the system bangs like it has been hit by a sledgehammer. I also noticed that when the pressure switch trips on and power goes to the pump for 2-3 seconds before the system begins to re-pressurize. Is that normal?

He then replaced the check valve. It made no difference with regard to the initial BANG (which happens about 75% of the time) but now it rattles like hell while the system re-pressurizes.

Any expert insights would be appreciated.

Fred
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 6, 2006, 11:33 AM
    I think I know what the problem is but don't have enough details to be sure.
    What type of tank do you have? A bladder tank or a galvanized pressure tank? Regards, Tom
    9fred9 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2006, 03:47 PM
    Thanks for your reply, Tom!

The tank is a Well-X-Trol WX250 bladder-type. It's 8 years old and is original to the house.

I'm anxious to hear what you think the problem might be. Thanks again for your help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 7, 2006, 05:15 AM
    Thanks Fred,
    I think your plumber threw the tank adjustment off when he bled the air from your bladder tank. The air pressure on your tank should be set at 2 PSI below the cut in point of the control box. In your case 28 PSI. Turn the pump off at the breaker box, open a hose bib to drain off the pressure and charge the tank when the pressure drops to zero. There should be no water come out when you "test bleed" the snifter valve. Now pressure the systen back up and see if your "bang" hasn't disappeared. Let me know. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Big Bang & Ages of Earth/Universe [ 16 Answers ]

Has modern science proven the ages of the Universe and the Earth? Also, has science retreated on the theory of the Big Bang, or do most astronomers still hold to this theory?

Bang & olufsen beomaster value [ 1 Answers ]

Please can anyone tell me what my 1970's collection of Bang and Olufsen music equipment is worth? I have a Beomaster 2400 with original remote control, A Beocord 1500 Tape Cassette Player and a Beogram RX2 Record Player. They all match and are all in original condition with cabels and plugs etc.

Bang & Olufsen Equipment [ 1 Answers ]

I own a 1972 BEOMASTER 1200 and BEOGRAM 1500 turntable, i.n.o.r. Is anyone interested in these items as a collector ?

My PC Starts, then shuts down [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all, OK just put a new motherboard in & cpu & basically it boots for about 5-10 seconds then shuts down again, getting shorter each time unless I leave it while any ideas Thanks

Bang Bang Bang! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, thanks for reading and double thanks for replying! When the cold water valve is turned on in my bath tub, a very loud and rapid banging sound can be heard through out the house. It sounds like an MG42 machine gun, or even like a WW2 anti air flak cannon! The sound goes away as soon as the...

View more questions Search