Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MTNRS Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2006, 07:15 PM
    Opening a bar/pool hall
    My husband and I are currently researching opening a bar/pool hall in Florida. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how we should go about starting this. I have gotten a little information about the liquor license in our area, but it been so extremely expensive, we have decided to go with beer and wine only. He and I are very intrested in starting this business, but are a little clueless in how to get it off the ground. Any advice from anyone would be extremely helpful.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Try contacting a local branch of SCORE (www.score.org). This is an association of retired executives, who volunteer their expertise for people trying to start or run a small biz. You should also contact a local office of the Small Business Administration (www.sba.gov). They will have lots of resources to help you, which may include loans or grants.

One of the first steps is to build a business plan. There are software packages that will walk you through that process by asking questions. You need to research the market and make sure there is a market for the business. It might be better if you can find an existing business to purchase.

Aug 3, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Scott,
    Thank you so much for the info. I am checking it all out now and I'll definitely post how it all worked out. Thanks again,
    Melissa
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2006, 02:05 PM
    The term "this seems so expensive" worries me, unless a person has a budget planned to pay off their personal expenses and all of the operating expensies for at least 6 months and it should be longer, since most new business don't make any profit at all for the first year.

Next you need to decide what type of crowd you are wanting, college age, cowboy, biker, gay and lesbian, what type of bar are you going to be,
    Then you need to think location. Liquar normally is where a lot of the profit is ( by the shot makes a lot of money) and needs to be a consideration, esp if you are going more upscale

Aug 3, 2006, 06:01 PM
    Scott,
    Once again thank you so much for your information. It really helped us out. I checked out SCORE and they were a huge help as well as the SBA. Thanks again for your input. Looks like we'll be getting started soon.
    Melissa

Aug 3, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Fr Chuck,
    Thanks for your input. We have decided that a beer and wine bar/pool hall was the way to start, espically in our particular area. We have a lot of young people in our area and have literally nothing to do here. We figured we'd start small and then go from there. If it all works maybe down the road we'll bring in a full liquor bar. Thanks again, your input as far as theme does give us something to think about.
    Melissa
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 3, 2006, 06:15 PM
    I have a funny but true thing to add here. I once saw a pretty humble tavern make it because it was located next to a laundromat. LOL In fact it was one owner who made it look like two businesses but the sign said "Suds and Duds" :p (groooooooans)

PS - howdy neighbor!
    jimfun71 Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Aug 22, 2006, 08:34 PM
    I will offer you the best information I can about retail. Location, Location, Location. I have seen a lot of business' fail because they didn't have a good location.
    JAYMEftl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MTNRS
    My husband and I are currently researching opening a bar/pool hall in Florida. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how we should go about starting this. I have gotten a little information about the liquor license in our area, but it been so extremely expensive, we have decided to go with beer and wine only. He and I are very intrested in starting this business, but are a little clueless in how to get it off the ground. Any advice from anyone would be extremely helpful.
    Hi Melissa! Did you check out this site, too?
    Billiard Congress of America

Did you open the pool hall yet?
    schweet_zeke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Hey MTNRS! I'm quite interested in opening up a bar near me. Do you think you can e-mail me so I can ask you a few questions? I would greatly appreciate your help. My e-mail is [Personal email address removed for privacy.]
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 06:59 PM

Hi, schweet_zeke!

The original poster hasn't been back here in over two years. If you start a separate thread from this one about what you are wanting to know, that would be the best thing that you could do.

I did need to remove your personal email address from your post so that you won't get spammed by others who look for available email addresses on the Internet. This site gets excellent exposure when people search for things.

Also, concerning getting information from folks here, we try to keep the information right on the threads rather than communicating by private messaging or emails so that others who have similar questions might also benefit by the information that's given.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2006 Hall of Fame [ 3 Answers ]

It was announced last night on Mondat Night Raw Brett Hart and Eddie Guerrero will be inducted int o the Hall Of Fame..

Odd smell in hall way, electrical? [ 1 Answers ]

There is an odd smell in the hallway of our home. It smells kind of like burnt electrical but not quite. My wife thought it may be coming from the heater (there are no vents in the hallway only an air intake). I can smell it and have smelled it for a few days. The wife says she has smelled it...

Opening a Pool Hall in Chicago [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I was posting this to see if anyone could give me any feed back on the procedures and tips of opening a small business pool hall. I am currently 23 yrs old, holding a steady tech support job. I guess what I am looking for is more or less suggestions relating to the actual finance...

Pool Hall [ 0 Answers ]

Hello experts, I'm about to start my own bar & pool hall business. I've found this existing bar & restaurant & it's seemed relevant for what I've aimed for. But there is one problem. The bar area is not big enough to put any pool tables. This place also comes with a four-bedrooms apartment...

View more questions Search