Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    v8_dave Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Replacing Copper Oil Feed Line to Furnace
    Hello again,

Well, we forgot to call the furnace cleaning guy last year, so this year the man said we have a buildup of sludge in the line (the filter even had to be pried from the housing). He said the pump is running at vacuum and the line should be replaced.

So I want to get some tips on replacement. My plan is to shut off the valve at the tank and remove the filter. Then start the furnace and let it run until the line is clear and the furnace shuts off. Then replace the line and reinstall the filter, open the valve at the tank, and bleed the pump and reset it to get it running again.

Thoughts? Concerns? I just had it all cleaned this week, should I have them come again after I replace the line or clean the strainer and replace the nozzle myself after? Adjustments needed to compensate for the added flow?

Thanks! -Dave
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Your idea sounds reasonable. When done fire it over and see how it does. If problems happen call them back.

Mar 31, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Your idea sounds reasonable. When done fire it over and see how it does. If problems happen call them back.
    Thanks hvac1000, I hope it goes smoothly...

Apr 2, 2008, 08:34 PM
    One last thing, do you think I would have any success blowing the line out with my compressor? It would save a big headache, as long is it does not create another.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 3, 2008, 12:00 AM
    It all depends upon how much gunk is stuck to the pipe walls. You might be better served circulation a cleaner for a hour or so through the line but I have never personally done that so I would not know how to advise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper line from wall too short? [ 4 Answers ]

Take a look at this photo. I had a plumber do the work, but now I am a little concerned. I bought a cap/cover ( forget the correct name of it) to put on the wall which the water copper line coming from wall, which goes to valve then to the toilet. He made the copper tubing too short and could...

UF wire and copper propane line in same conduit [ 1 Answers ]

Is it safe and allowed to run 10/3 UF electric cable and 1/2" copper tubing for propane in the same 2" PVC conduit 18" underground from a house to a garage?

How to plug leaking oil heat copper lines at floor level [ 1 Answers ]

Copper supply and return lines (1/2" copper) remain from a removed oil heater. The 3' lines are cracked at the concrete floor level and weep oil when moved. What is the best way to seal these lines at floor level? I have thought of using a wooden or metal plug, solder or epoxy. Since the lines...

How to disconnect copper elbo from wall feed PVC [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new water softener. If I could rotate the existing copper elbow feed, for old softener, it would make the new installation much neater. How can I rotate an elbow connected into PVC that has a clamp?

View more questions Search