Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Apartment ventilation
    Does anyone know if there are specific laws regarding ventilation for apartments? In my building around 6 pm we always have the smell of other people's cooking coming in through the vent over the stove. To stop it we have to turn our vent on and it's rather noisy.

It's ongoing and very annoying to either deal with the smell or the noise from the fan, plus the smells coming in are always of burnt food or fish sticks, I'm sure it's an apartment directly beside or below us but the person obviously doesn't know how to cook!

Im in Quebec, Canada so ideally if someone from here knows that would be great but let me know the US laws on the subject too and of course what's a good first step to resolve this
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 09:42 AM
    I don't know of any law but you could help the problem by installing a barometric damper in the vent from the stove to the outside, Good luck. Mike
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Good idea but I have no idea how I'd be able to do that myself, the stove vent goes into a larger pipe that vents to the roof. I was trying to see if there is any law stating that in cases like this the landlord would (should have been) responsible to install something of this nature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulation and ventilation [ 2 Answers ]

There is no insulation whatsoever in my attic. I was wondering what kind of energy savings I would see if I insulated it. Does insulation make a difference in hot weather, or is it mainly cold weather? I live in a hot area, so warmer weather is the main concern. My home is brick, about 700 s.f....

Attic Ventilation when NOT have a furnace [ 14 Answers ]

My parents have baseboard heat in their single wide 1972 mobile home. They don't use the furnace (and may have taken it out I am trying to determine what they did) because my mom is very allergic to the normal propane smells/emissions/fumes that are emitted from a correctly working furnace system....

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

Ventilation in tight construction [ 2 Answers ]

I am constructing a 2500sf two story single family home on the coast in northern California where the temp remains fairly steady and cool (rarely much above 75 degrees and rarely if ever freezes)and have concerns about air quality and air depressurization and would appreciate some advice. I am...

Toilet ventilation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper way to vent a toilet. I have a two story house and the upstairs toilet was fine for ten years without a vent, but eventually it didn't flush properly. A vent pipe was installed, hoping to aid in flushing, but the problem was as simple as cleaning the little hole in the bottom...

View more questions Search