Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ge1209 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Craftsman Lawn Tractor
    How much trouble is it to change the drive belt on a 15.5hp Sears Lawn Tractor? Seems like the speed of this lawn tractor has slowed down. I am assuming that the drive belt could possibly be stretched. Any onther ideas?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 11, 2007, 02:25 PM
    If the belt stetched it will slip. Engage the drive with the engine off and check the tension on the belt. While you are down there look for a threaded rod that adjusts the tension on the pulley. You should be able to adjust it quite a bit if you never did this before. If you have your model number you can get a free manual download from Sears online.
    JackW Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ge1209
    How much trouble is it to change the drive belt on a 15.5hp Sears Lawn Tractor? Seems like the speed of this lawn tractor has slowed down. I am assuming that the drive belt could possibly be stretched. Any onther ideas?
    Prepare to get bruises on your hands. There's a routeing diagram looking down through the gear shift slot or one on top of the deck when you lower it. I hope you don't get bruised & good luck.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JackW
    prepare to get bruises on your hands. there's a routeing diagram looking down thru the gear shift slot or one on top of the deck when you lower it. I hope you don't get bruised & good luck.
    You will nearly always get a good "knuckle buster" from changing the drive belts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman lawn tractor model 917270910 won't start [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman Lawn tractor model number 917270910. It will not start. I tried a new battery even though the one on it checked out okay. It will not even turn over. I replaced the fuse but the original looked fine. What else should I do?

Craftsman 20.0 electric start 42 inch automatic lawn tractor mower clutch [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Craftsman 20.0 hp electric start 42" mower automatic lawn tractor Model 917.270940 and it appears the cable that allows you to engage the blades has broken. How do you either fix this problem or do we need to purchase a new cable. If we need a new cable how is it installed... I need...

Craftsman 16.5 Lawn Tractor [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced the mower clutch cable on my 16.5 HP Craftsman LT1000 lawn tractor with a 42" deck. After doing so, the transmission to the tractor will not engage. All the belts seem to be in place. I did not replace the clutch carriage bolt yet, as indicated by the instructions, after...

Craftsman 16.5 Lawn Tractor - Front Axle [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Craftsman lawn tractor with a twisted front axle. Since I will need to replace this soon, I'd figure to replace the welded axle with a cast iron replacement. I called the SEARS 1-800 number to get a similar models which would be a universal cast iron axle I could order & replace. ...

Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10 HP Craftsman lawn tractor that will not move. The clutch works and it goes into gearbut the flat wheel spins and the gear wheel seems too have not enough pressure on it to move. Could this be just a loose drive belt? Thanks, Charlie

View more questions Search