Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gephill Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Water heater voltage
    My water heater quite woking. It is a double element unit. The top element is receiving 240V however the bottom unit is only receiving 120V. I understand that the top element feeds the bottom element. If the top element is bad would that cause the problem. I am getting no warm water at all.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 06:37 AM

Since you can obviously measure voltage, then you should be able to measure the resistance of the elements. Turn the water heater off first at the breaker.

Only one elemnt runs at a time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Water heater hookup with sidearm supplimental heater [ 0 Answers ]

Hello: I'm hooking up a sidearm heater to an existing electric water heater for use with an outdoor wood furnace. I've seen diagrams showing the upper port of the potable water side hooked up to the anode port, the TPV port, and the cold water inlet port. My initial thought is that plumbing it into...

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Testing Voltage Output Through Different Water Mediums [ 3 Answers ]

My son has chosen a science fair project wanting to test the affect of water containing different substances (tap, salt, baking soda, etc) on voltage output. I'm too ignorant on elctrical current flows (other than water and electricity don't play well together) to advise him. Can anyone give me...

What voltage does a typical water heater need? [ 1 Answers ]

220 or 240? I am converting from gas to electric, and am having to have an additional outlet run into the laundry room. Could the water heater run off the dryer plug until I get an electrician to wire another one?

View more questions Search