Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrHeathenScum Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Tip: Hampton Bay Remote Fan - Fan works by remote, lights do not.
    I figured this may help somebody here.

I have a Hampton Bay remote controlled ceiling fan... the kind without pull chains... and the remote will only operate the fan portion but not the light. The light is always on. Not a big deal, as the light switch on the wall could be used to turn the light on and off... but if you wanted to use the fan, the light always had to be on.

I took the light housing portion off, drilled a hole in the side, and installed a pull-chain switch to control the light. Now I can use the remote for the fan and the pull-chain to turn the light on and off... it's not ideal, but it saved me from having to replace the fan for now.

The switch was about $3 from home Depot... a pull-chain canopy switch. Two wires to connect and one 3/8" hole to install.

Hope this can help someone!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Unforunately it's rare that the light portion of the remote will become stuck with the light ON.. . Usually it is stuck off.

When you try to control your lights with the remote, does the LED light?

Jun 15, 2007, 11:08 AM
    I did check everything out as best I could before resorting to the hard-wired switch... the LED lights up on the remote with the light control button push and I tried a new battery just for laughs.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Try turning off breaker, maybe a minute, It may have gotten"confused".
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Assuming that the wiring never changed between the remote working for the light, and it not working, the only way to fix the remote would be to replace the receiver. Unless it's under warranty it would cost around $30 for a new receiver.

Ceiling fan remote controls - help and FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

Jun 15, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    Assuming that the wiring never changed between the remote working for the light, and it not working, the only way to fix the remote would be to replace the receiver. Unless it's under warranty it would cost around $30 for a new receiver.

I thought I read here that you can't replace the reciver on the remote-only (no pull chains) fans?

Also, I believe on these fans, if the remote receiver is built into the fan, there is no way to wire it to bypass the remote control... without modification.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Your second point is correct, your first is not. The receiver can always be replaced.

Jun 15, 2007, 04:15 PM
    ahhh... "I see" said the blind man to his deaf dog. My bad!

I don't really know if it's worth the hassle in this case though... the fan is ugly as sin as far as I'm concerned.

Just for the heck of it... have you repaired any of these receivers? I'm wondering if it's a common SCR or TRIAC that is used in there to switch the lights on that probably just toasted.
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 08:31 PM
    I have never bothered to try to repair the receivers. I doubt you could get the ICs.
    Hardunger2 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 05:52 PM
    A salesman at Lowe's showed me the receiver - but they do not repair their own - only install new ones - at least that is what I was told Sunday - the LED, if that is the light on the remote - shows red - does that indicate anything special? I did have a power outage in the neighborhood - and was told it is not uncommon to mess up the receiver - it did work by the chain - now it doesn't even do that - can you imagine, a third fan in a little over a year - the first two ere Harbor Breeze - Consumer Report won't evaluate ceiling fans dog gone it - I know my former boss = a mechanical engineer left his job years ago to go with a fan company - one of the best I understand - I am not sure which way to go - do miss the light though - especially the dimmer (just got out of cast)
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Hardunger, remove the receiver from your fan and wire the fan without it. Tell us how it works then, from the chains.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Hampton Bay Fan Light/Fan Remote Problem [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, we have a Hampton Bay fan and my son dropped the remote and it stopped working. I changed the batteries and that didn't work. Now I asked someone at Home Depot what I needed to do. They instructed me to buy a new remote kit... I did however it came with a little grey box with 3 cords...

Hampton Bay Remote Video/fan Remote Control [ 16 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Video & Fan Remote Control (Model #UR8050T). It has been working fine for about 2 years until it recently began malfunctioning. It still operates the television, but the use of the fan/light features has stopped working. It will not turn the fan on or off, and the light is...

Hampton bay fan remote works the speed not light [ 3 Answers ]

I installed this fan OK... it was fine for 2.5 years now the remote only works the fan speed. It does not work the lights. I removed the fan and checked connections which are good.Luckily the fans lights are in the on position and POWER is through a wall switch,that controls the lights. But I wish...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan works great... Until I add the remote controller unit. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm the "proud" owner of a Southwind V ceiling fan. I'm a pretty cautious person by nature so when I installed the ceiling fan I left out the optional remote controller piece to make sure all works well. Blue and black fan wires to the black wire in the wirebox, and white on white (grounds...

View more questions Search