Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChiHungdnguyen Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Briggs riding mower won't start
    Hello everyone. I need a little help with my briggs and stratton 12.5 hp riding mower. I haven't used it in a while and today I was trying to start it up, but to no success. Usually when this happens, its because my battery so I jumped the battery and it still did not work. All it does is make a click noise when I turn the key to start. So I went to Lowe's and bought a new battery and stuck it in and same result. I bought a new spark plug, but some new oil in, and even new gasoline. Still the same result. The mower just makes one click and nothing else. Occasionally after the single click when I turn the key, the engine would make a noise like its trying to crank up, but still nothing. I must tell you guys that I know NOTHING about mowers. I just know a couple of things about cars, but ABSOLUTELY nothing about mowers. I ruled out that it isn't the battery because I have a new battery and the thing in the engine that spins when it is suppose to try and start doesn't even spin. Please help me out guys. THANKS!
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 05:39 PM
    With engine off. Turn the cover on the flywheel backwards about 1/4-1/2 turn and then try and start. Many times it hold compression if the valves are loose and the piston ends on the compression stroke.

Jun 3, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire1
    With engine off. Turn the cover on the flywheel backwards about 1/4-1/2 turn and then try and start. Many times it hold compression if the valves are loose and the piston ends on the compression stroke.

Sorry but like I said in my first paragrapg, I know NOTHING about mowers so I don't know what you speak of. Are you talking about the circle thing in the engine that spins?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 04:18 AM
    Yes, that's it
    dirkmyster Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiHungdnguyen
    Hello everyone. I need a little help with my briggs and stratton 12.5 hp riding mower. I havent used it in a while and today i was trying to start it up, but to no success. Usually when this happens, its because my battery so i jumped the battery and it still did not work. All it does is make a click noise when i turn the key to start. So I went to Lowes and bought a new battery and stuck it in and same result. I bought a new spark plug, but some new oil in, and even new gasoline. Still the same result. The mower just makes one click and nothing else. Occasionally after the single click when i turn the key, the engine would make a noise like its trying to crank up, but still nothing. I must tell you guys that I know NOTHING about mowers. I just know a couple of things about cars, but ABSOLUTELY nothing about mowers. I ruled out that it isnt the battery because i have a new battery and the thing in the engine that spins when it is suppose to try and start doesnt even spin. Please help me out guys. THANKS!!
    Check your battery cables, sounds like they are corroded and also see if you can turn the starter by hand

Jun 8, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkmyster
    Check your battery cables, sounds like they are corroded and also see if you can turn the starter by hand

I tried to turn the thing in the middle of the engine but its just impossible to twist by hand. Is the starter the key? I am really sorry for the dumb questions, I just know nothing about this stuff. Yes the batter cables are pretty rusted so that could be the problem and if it is, what should I do?
    BriggsAndStratton Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Jun 8, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiHungdnguyen
    Hello everyone. I need a little help with my briggs and stratton 12.5 hp riding mower. I havent used it in a while and today i was trying to start it up, but to no success. Usually when this happens, its because my battery so i jumped the battery and it still did not work. All it does is make a click noise when i turn the key to start. So I went to Lowes and bought a new battery and stuck it in and same result. I bought a new spark plug, but some new oil in, and even new gasoline. Still the same result. The mower just makes one click and nothing else. Occasionally after the single click when i turn the key, the engine would make a noise like its trying to crank up, but still nothing. I must tell you guys that I know NOTHING about mowers. I just know a couple of things about cars, but ABSOLUTELY nothing about mowers. I ruled out that it isnt the battery because i have a new battery and the thing in the engine that spins when it is suppose to try and start doesnt even spin. Please help me out guys. THANKS!!
    Jump it directly to the starter and make sure all you disengage blade, press clutch etc

Jun 8, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BriggsAndStratton
    jump it directly to the starter and make sure all you disengage blade, press clutch etc

Can you please tell me how to jump it directly from the starter? Thank you sir.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Hook The Black Jumper Cable To The Mower Frame, Then On The Starter There Is A Connection Towards The Bottom Of It, Touch The Red Jumper Cable Here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs and stratton mower won't start. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,can anyone help me,my neighbors cox stockman 13hp ride on won't start. I've replaced the solinoid, charged the battery and checked all the wiring,it still won't start,not even a click when I turn the key, my neighbor said it did turn over once yesterday then nothing,dead.I have also checked the...

Craftsman Briggs & Stratton 15.5 Riding Mower Want Start [ 16 Answers ]

I have put in new battery, new solenoid switch and my mower still won't fire. No sound at all. What seems to be the problem?

Riding lawn mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a yard man riding lawn mower. One day while using it, it did a big surge and I fell off. I had to push it back down because it was sitting up on its two back wheels, now it will not start. I tried to change the spark plug and tried the battery but nothing works. Please help

My MTD riding mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I know it is the solenoid but its been off for a while and to tell you the truth I can't remember how it wires back up if any one can tell me or send a pic of the wiring diagram I would appreciate it. The little green wire and the little red wire are what's giving me problems can't remember where...

View more questions Search