Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bob_mower Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Murray Lawn Mower dies
    Have Murray 20'' mover with 6.0 hp Quantum. It's about 5 years old. Yesterday it died while mowing tall grass. After that, it will start but only run for about 5 seconds before
    Dying again. Think oil and gas are OK. Tried removing the air filter but still dies.
    Tried it today with cold engine, but problem remains.
    Thanks, Bob
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 6, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Hey Bob, have you replaced the fuel filter? Give that a try and start with the gas cap off. Come back and tell us if this helped at all.
    Bob

Jun 6, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Haven't replaced fuel filter. Can you provide guidance on how to do this. I have a lot of
    Auto repair experience but none on small engines. Thanks for response.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 6, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Follow the fuel line from the tank toward the carb. The filter should be on this line, frequently a semi clear bulb with a hose clamp at each end. I don't think you have a fuel pump on this engine, if you do it is black, not clear.

Jun 7, 2007, 05:19 AM
    Apparently this mower doesn't have an in-line fuel filter. Removed the fuel line and took the bowl off the carburetor, cleaned the air filter and put it back together and now it's running fine. Don't think I actually fixed anything and will probably have this problem again but nothing else to do for now. Thanks for the help. THis is a great web site.
    Regards, Bob
    dirkmyster Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_mower
    Have Murray 20'' mover with 6.0 hp Quantum. It's about 5 years old. Yesterday it died while mowing tall grass. After that, it will start but only run for about 5 seconds before
    dying again. Think oil and gas are ok. Tried removing the air filter but still dies.
    Tried it today with cold engine, but problem remains.
    Thanks, Bob
    Check the diaphram on the carb. It may have a pin hole. Try spraying starter fluid in it and see if it starts

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray rideing lawn mower [ 5 Answers ]

I can not get it to start, it will start with starter fluid and dies. I do not know how to remove the carb to clean it, can you advise and do you think this is the trouble. It has set up for a good little bit.

Murray riding lawn mower electrical problem [ 7 Answers ]

My mower runs but only as long as the battery has a charge. And then it dies, so what could be the problem? Please help I have a huge lawn and a push mower just doesn't get it!!

Wires on murray riding lawn mower. [ 3 Answers ]

My dog pulled wires loose on our mower. I don't have the instruction booklet to put them back correctly. Please help!

Tire removal murray lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

How do you remove the rear tires of a murray lawn mower? It was made sometime before 1999.

Murray rididing lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: does some have a diagram of the belt system on a Murray ridding lawn mower ?

View more questions Search