Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 23, 2006, 09:20 AM
    An island?
    If God created the Heavens and the Earth, and put man and other creatures upon the Earth, how do we know that God didn't go to some other part of his Heavens and create some other planet and deposit life on it? How do we know he didn't do that 10, 100, or 1000 times over in different parts of his Heavens? :confused:

Life may be rare in the universe, but it's hard to think we could be the only island.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2006, 09:33 AM
    I agree with you, we don't know that we are alone! I don't think it says anywhere in the Bible either (someone correct me if I'm wrong), that we are alone in the universe. And if G-d did create the universe, I'm sure He'd find it more interesting if He created lots of different places. ;)

I took an Astronomy / Physics class when I was in first year university. Our professor taught us about a mathematical formula (I think it was attributed to Einstein, but I can't recall) that calculates the probability of planets similar to earth existing in the Milky Way Galaxy, based on distance from a star like our sun, as well as some other factors. According to the formula's calculations, there are approximately 13,000 planets like ours just in this galaxy alone! And we know of several galaxies. So I figure there has to be life out there, and probably similar to ours too.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2006, 12:08 PM
    I agree... what would be the purpose of those other galaxies if there wasn't life out there? If this IS all part of God's plan, why would he bother creating them?
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2006, 12:18 PM
    I had come up with a theory a while back...

We have gone through many eras in life... 1700s was the Frontier Era, 1800s was the Industrial Era, 1900s was the Technological Era, and many believe the 2000s will be the Biological Era. Suppose, as we grow in each, we find the technology to travel further into space, we create the industry to bring us to the new frontiers... maybe these places won't support life as we know it. So we "evolve" ourselves into superior beings... skin that will sustain a different atmosphere, larger skulls to contain a larger, more capable brain, large black eyes that can withstand the Sun, etc. Basically, creating the typical "alien" as we know it.

So as we travel further into life, we are able to reconstrust beings, evolve lifeforms... everything BUT the actual creation of life, that which separates us from God. We even learn how to cross the Space/Time continuum.

So we search our history traveling back to Ancient Life as we know it. We, the new evolution of Humans, are the Hyrogliphic pictures depicted in the Egyptian Ruins, the Angels and Chariots as seen in the Old Testement Times, possibly even the Gods in early Greek Mythology.

I don't know... it was a stretch. But it was an interesting study for a while there lol
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2006, 12:30 PM
    Yes, there is nothing that would make other life mean that the bible and Christianity could not be correct also. The Old Testement has been the history of the Hewbrew nation that arose from Adam, it does not talk about the Americas which was unknown to them at that time.

A UFO landing at my nearest trailer park would not shake my faith at all.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 23, 2006, 01:43 PM
    A UFO landing at my nearest trailer park would not shake my faith at all.

Fr_Chuck,as a baptist it would scare the hell out of me though. :D

Feb 24, 2006, 07:14 AM
    I strongly believe that at some point in our future, our understanding of science and technology will converge with our religious beliefs and faith. Once we understand that link, we'll open an entire new era of understanding our place in the universe.

Maybe some of our UFO visitors already understand that link?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2006, 11:22 AM
    Well I have always thought that some of the posters on here must be from some other world than earth, since I can't believe people recommend others to do some of the things that they do.

But as a Chrsitian, UFO or people from another world is just another area that we have to spread our faith ( unless they are already Christian)
    Of course we would worry about the miliatry issues and security of earth, but why should anything shake our faith, death is the extreme result here on earth and it is not to shake our faith. And if Elvis impersonators can not shake my faith, nothing can.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2006, 11:52 AM
    (Father, you crack me UP sometimes!! Lol)

Anyway, Christians on other planets... Hmmmmm. That would be interesting. The thing about THAT is that we (Earthlings, that is) are Christians because we believe that God sent His Son, Jesus to Earth to die for our sins.

If I am a Christian from Mars, would I believe that God sent His Son, Jesus to MARS to die for OUR (Martians, that is) sins? If so, then one of the main arguments in the reincarnation theory would be blown out of the water. (I can't find the post... but it quoted the Bible in saying that "Man can only die once and be judged."... or something along those lines)
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Feb 24, 2006, 07:20 PM
    A Christian from Mars! LOL! But the point's true though. According to the Word. Consider Genesis; " God made the Heavens & the Earth". I don't see any plural there like "Earths". So I don't think there are clones like us out there. I think NASA would like to find life somewhere out there, but one of the purposes of the space endeavor is to get evidence that people can live out there if the earth becomes too populated (& to get nice pix of nebulae & comets & stuff) But we still enjoy a good Sci-Fi movie here.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2006, 11:19 PM
    I defiantly think there is life on other planets. Granted, I don't know for sure, but I am more of an optimistic kind of guy. I can't believe that we humans, on Earth, are the only life beings in the entire universe.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2006, 03:32 AM
    Excellent, I have often thought about this PSC. There are many religious or very strong denomination believers that think and believe that we are the special creation on this planet and that we are unique and there is not other life forms else where. I would say why would you PUT A LIMIT ON GOD? There is no limit of what God could do. There are MILLIONS AND BILLIONS AND TRILLIONS OF STARS AND PLANETS. Why would he create so many without life on it. It just does not make sense to me as a believer that God would create so much and make us the only created planet with life on it. When you think of it if we are the only ones that would go to more of the theory that this life we call here on earth IS ONLY BY CHANCE AND NOT CREATION. We may not know how many but I guarantee there are many life creations out there that are even beyond our knowledge or dimension , etc. Many Many mysteries. Excellent post.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Hi,
    Space is endless, and I don't think we are the only living beings in it.
    I also believe we have been visited by others from places we may never see or know about. There is just too much information available for me to doubt it.
    When God created the Heavens and the Earth, he very well may have created more than we will ever know, including other life, other places, at the same time.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Mar 30, 2006, 02:54 PM
    The Bible clearly tells us that Jesus died for the sins of mankind. That is the sins attributable to inheritance from our disobedient parents Adam and Eve. If indeed there are non-human perfect creatures on other planets who are suffering from the effects of their disobedient original parents, then it would seem that the only way to fix the situation is via the death of a sinless one on behalf of the sinful as happened here on earth.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 02:10 AM
    Starman, The debate was not about whether Jesus died for our sins or not. The question was about why would there not be other forms of life else where? No one said anything about perfection.
    A doubtful Brit Posts: 16, Reputation: 5

Mar 31, 2006, 10:24 AM
    To believe there is no life on other planets just isn't logical. In an infinite & possibly ever expanding universe, it would be idiotic and extreamly ignorant to say that life did not exist elswhere in the universe.
    I do believe in a god. An omnipitent being of conciesness. I don't think that we were made in his likeness however. Do remember, that we used to believe the sun went round the world and that we were the centre of the universe. So a lot of what is written in the bible, is put across in that way. (We were made in Gods likeness.) What makes us so great?
    We are not the centre of the universe, the sun does not revolve around us. So why couln't an omnipitent being create life on other worlds too. It's a great theory.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysteakandcheese
    ...how do we know that God didn’t go to some other part of his Heavens and create some other planet and deposit life on it?
    I personally believe that He probably did.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysteakandcheese
    If God created the Heavens and the Earth, and put man and other creatures upon the Earth, how do we know that God didn’t go to some other part of his Heavens and create some other planet and deposit life on it? How do we know he didn’t do that 10, 100, or 1000 times over in different parts of his Heavens? :confused:

Life may be rare in the universe, but it’s hard to think we could be the only island.
    Just spotted this thread. Your hypothesis jives with some of my beliefs. I believe that some intelligent force created the universe as we know it. I also believe that we are not the only experiment created by this force. We may not even be its greatest success.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2006, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Space is endless, and I don't think we are the only living beings in it.
    I also believe we have been visited by others from places we may never see or know about. There is just too much information available for me to doubt it.
    When God created the Heavens and the Earth, he very well may have created more than we will ever know, including other life, other places, at the same time.
    I find your response here very interesting. I'm wondering how you reconcile it with other things you believe. Do you think all of these other life forms know Jesus Christ? Will they be "saved" if they do not?

I'm also curious as to what preponderance of evidence make you not doubt that we have been visited by other life forms?

Mar 31, 2006, 01:49 PM
    It's very humbling to think that humans may be much less evolved than those other experiments.

Maybe we can't see all the “other life” in the universe because we are just too primitive to be cognizant of it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Bay Island" ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

I received as a gift a Hampton Bay,"Bay Island" ceiling fan Some of the description reads as such : 52" ceiling fan, oil rubbed bronze finish, Venetian Scavo glass, 442031, model # 14161, purchase order # is 56196192 My question is this, does the glass globe shown on the box actually come...

Uncle Albert's Mysterious Island Help! [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone give clues to this game or where to find some online. This is a PC/MAC game. ?

Long Island Ducks [ 1 Answers ]

Are the Long Island Ducks base ball team, a farm team or connected to a major league team? Lou Lou

View more questions Search