Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deekeepinitreal2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2010, 08:40 AM
    Why is my landline phone buzzing?
    Hi my landline phone has stopped working due to a continuous buzz when I pick it up. We have taken the phone outside and tried it on the dmark box and we get the same thing. Even bought a new phone,same problem. This is confusing me very much though because my dsl still works and it has to have a dial tone to work. All the filters are plugged up. I have went over everything several times. Oh and when some one tries to call our house phone all they get is a busy signal. Please help... we have been out of phone for 6 days and the phone company will not send anyone out to have a look without me paying this huge fee. Thanks a lot
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 06:12 PM

If you are getting the Buzz at the Dmarc with inside phones disconnected, it is Telco's problem and no charge to you, you are responsible after the Dmarc.
    Busy is if the pair is shorted and the buzzing sounds like the pair is also touching ground?
    I have had ran into No dial tone and still have DSL. Strange.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2010, 07:54 PM

Actually, bet dollars to donuts, the protector is bad in the NID which is located on the TELCO side.

Having DSL and no dial tone isn't strange at all. The transformer in the DSL filter/splitter isolates the DC required by the phone, but not DSL.

Do you have a voltmeter?

Just tell the telco that the problem occurs when usig the test jack at the NID. Your not supposed to replace the protector. Some protectors are better than others for DSL.

While your at it, talk to the tech and see if he will replace the 1/2 ringer in the NID with a "no electronics module with an "auto-jack.

They also may install a DSL filter for free for you, but you may have to do the inside wiring later. You may have to ask them to upgrade the cable entering the house so an extra pair is available.

A protector by Bournes and the above mods will definitely improve your DSL performance. My DSL tests at the limits of service and the tech described the line as pristine.

All wires in the home are QUAD cable with non-home runs and about 10 locations. There are even 4 prong and modular jacks and sometimes multiple jacks at the location. An impossible install with filters, but pristine with a splitter.

The telco needs to solve it. This guy http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pd...30S%29revB.pdf is bad.

Actually, if you do a DSL speedtest using www.speakeasy.net performace will be crappy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landline phone repair [ 9 Answers ]

My landline phone does not work.when I called the service provider phone co,they said the problem is inside the house. To fix the same they asking me to pay for the charges.

Others get an echo from my landline phone [ 2 Answers ]

Other people get an echo on their phone when they call my landline phone. They also get is when I call them. This happens to others on their landlines and also cell phones, local and long distance calls. We have purchased 3 different phones but still there. Phone company did a test and said it is...

Landline phone problems [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my 3 landline phones sometimes ring and then incoming calls sometimes do not ring but one phone sometimes gives a slight ring. Also I can call out no problems. No computers or modems installed. Any ideas would be a great help before I have to call the phone company and pay for a service...

Landline phone wiring [ 6 Answers ]

Today, out of the blue, by home phone began to have problems with incoming calls. If you are calling the house, you will hear a partial ring, then lot's of static. Eventually the line will disconnect. If you are in the house and pick up the phone, after the initial partial ring, the call will...

Humm on landline phone [ 4 Answers ]

I have a humm on my home landline phone. I have gone to the csu box on the side of my house and lifted the leads coming into my house. I go directly on the leads coming into the box from the telephone pole and still hear the humm. It gets worse when it rains. I have contacted my service...

View more questions Search