Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakenrusty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Conversion of mobile home to single family home
    In 1995, we bought some land & moved a salvaged mobile home on it. The mobile wasn't permanent meaning we only needed to live in it until we could build our house. We first added onto the mobile a 12x60 section. We then began to tear down the mobile home & eventually added a front section. The mobile was completely removed & a 24x60 now sits in its place. The tax assessor's office has photos of the construction process & has our home listed as a manufactured home... a 1970 model with tag & VIN #'s. We have tried to get a home equity loan on several occasions & were denied because property records indicate that we still live in the 1970 model mobile home. We have talked with our assessor.. they don't have recent photos of our home nor is their description right. They say they cannot remove the VIN or tag # because it used to be a mobile home. There isn't a board from the mobile left.. we tore it all down. How can we get this changed? It's so frustrating & no bank will ever give us a loan because it's still listed as a 1970 mobile home. We cannot even insure as a single family home because the assessor's office will not change the descrition. HELP!!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Essentially you are stuck with a mobile home as your description. I would suggest hiring an attorney to help you get this converted to real estate. If you had erected the new home in another portion of the lot or next to the mobile home as a new structure, then you would have a good argument that it is no longer a 1970 mobile home, but since you just kept adding to an existing home and then wrecking the old mobile home down, you will have to get some professional help to get this situation turned around. Most banks done understand mobile homes and most insurance companies don't either, unless you get an insurance company who specializes in mobile home insurance coverage.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 03:28 PM
    When you removed the trailor part, ( frame with axle) who did you sell it to, where is it, merely provide them the bill of sale or salvage letter where you disposed of the frame, that shows the trailor was removed.

Also insurance? I have never known a company to check any tax record office or recorders office, the agent inspects and they insure per that inspection
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Chuck - I totally forgot about the frame and axels! Normally when my company disposes of an old mobile home we must provide the title to the house mover (or they can't move it) and the scrap yard (or they can't take it). This would prove an excellent way to document that the mobile home is kaput.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2008, 05:46 PM
    This is very odd. A built up home is going to assess at a higher value than a mobile home. This means that, by refusing to change the assessment they are denying themselves more taxes. And I can't understand any government doing that.

In my opinion you have three options;
    1) Demand the assessor's office inspect the property and re-assess it properly
    2) File suit against the assessor's office to re-assess
    3) Take the situation to the media to embarrass the assessor into re-assessing

Of course options 2 & 3 might anger the assessorcausing a higher assessment and higher taxes.
    lwelch Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Aug 23, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Mobile homes built before 1976 were not regulated by HUD and therefore you cannot qualify for any sort of Fannie Mae / Freddie Mac / FHA financing. Most lenders also require the HUD certification for any consideration for financing on these types of homes. My sister in law was in a similar situation with a home she was trying to purchase but she never could get financing for it because it had axles at some point in time. As a matter of fact, the home has been on the market for 7 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single Family Home/Rent Withholding [ 10 Answers ]

I recently went without heat/hot water for 3 days. I called my landlord and she had someone come in to repair the boiler. It took 3 days so I went out an purchased electric heaters (4). I also had to take off 2 days because I did not have hot water to get a shower until the 3 day. That is when she...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Garden Tub Faucet - Home of Legend mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My sister has a leaky garden tub faucet. We can't determine how to access under the faucet. There is no access door. A closet is behind the faucet. When we remove the wallboard, we find the distance from the opening to the faucet too far away to access. Can you help? Thanks, Mary

Electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

One of the single wide mobile homes in the park I supervise has an electrical wall heater and the elctrical bills have been astronomical, due probably to the poor insulation. Another reason, I guess, could be the age of the heater. The HVAC people that work for us told us that there is no...

Replacing an electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home to Gas Heat [ 1 Answers ]

One of the single wide mobile homes in the park I supervise has an electrical wall heater and the elctrical bills have been astronomical, due probably to the poor insulation. Another reason, I guess, could be the age of the heater. The HVAC people that work for us told us that there is no...

View more questions Search