Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 04:52 PM
    Maytag dryer
    My maytag dryer won't start
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Apr 14, 2006, 03:17 PM
    First, you should always include the model and serial numbers for any appliance you're inquiring about. Second, you should check or replace the fuses or circuit breaker that supplies power to the dryer. If that isn't it, with your model and serial numbers, I would be able to assist. Electrical problems usually require a volt/ohm meter to definitely isolate the problem. If you don't have one, there may be some things you can try, but I will need the model/serial numbers to know.
    dcb77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2012, 05:56 AM
    I have a maytag dryer that just stopped .yhe model number is hy3657ayw what is the common problem?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2012, 10:47 AM
    Most likely it's dirty and lint deposits have built up, as it always does, in all the air ducts which causes the main safety to blow. A little vacuuming out does nothing. You will have to take it apart and test the thermal fuse near the heating element and heating element (You must have a volt-ohm meter.); it may be resettable. You will have to clean the drier out thoroughly or it is all for nothing. Every air duct will have to be removed and scraped and washed out to remove baked on lint deposits which is like a concrete lining. This will burn so the manufacturer has installed the safeties to keep from having a house fire. The safeties are oval-shaped with a round center part containing the safety with two plug-on terminals for the wires and when they burn open, from the dryer being dirty, nothing will work. Using an ohm meter you put a lead on each terminal of the safety, with one wire unplugged, and if it's good you will have a reading of about zero; if it's bad it will read infinity. Driers were the number one cause of fires at one time, hence now we have safety fuses. Look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMP7BW1lLs4 to see how. Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBiRw-KElC4 ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFTZGgVisCI
    http://www.electrical-forensics.com/Dryer/ElectricClothesDryers.html
    http://fixitnow.com/wp/2010/10/09/whirlpool-dryer-model-le5800xsw3-wiring-diagram/
    When you finish cleaning the drier and install a new safety it is best to also replace the belt, too, because you do not want to have to disassemble it all over again and if the belt is over two years old you should replace it.

Note that on most of the videos it does not show them washing out the parts, but this is important because it's the only way to really get the parts clean, just don't get motor wet or the capacitor if it has one. Vacuum out the motor to remove all dust. I would move the drier out to your garage to have plenty of space to work. You also want to check your vent and clean it, also. The vent should have a short run and be straight as possible. The job is really easier than it sounds. There is no shortcut that will work; it has to be cleaned well. Before you re-assemble it make sure to use white lithium grease (high-temp grease) and grease all bearings. Just vacuuming out the dryer a little does little good. DrTom4444
    Michelle5555 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2012, 09:25 AM
    I don't have an answer just a question! Please help! About a mouth ago my 5 year old Maytag dryer! I was taking out clothes 1 day and this like FELT round material came out with the clothes it was fasten around the opening! Now the dryer makes this very loud noice? Can I just replace this round felt stuff? Please help me I can't afford a new dryer since we paid about 2200. For this 1 5 years ago...
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
    You can order the felt seal to replace it. DO NOT run the dryer until you replace it. I would get a new belt and some white lithium grease and then disassemble the dryer and all of the air ducts. Then clean and wash out all parts except motor. After you get it all clean replace felt seal and grease all bearings. The felt seal got too hot due to dirt build-up in dryer which is why it failed. You have to clean it well or it will fail again. Be sure to clean out exhaust, too.
    jamminjay22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2012, 03:43 PM
    Just replaceed starter switch still won't start
    jamminjay22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2012, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamminjay22 View Post
    just replaceed starter switch still won't start
    what else could be wrong
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 07:53 PM
    Why on earth would you replace the starter switch? You will have to tear it down and clean it out well. Then you will need to find the bad safety which will be a round device about 3/4" round with an oval base where it screws to ducts with a screw on each end. See: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/Maytag%20Dryers.zip
    Wash out all ductwork and other parts that move air and get out baked on lint deposits. Most likely it is dirty and lint deposits have built up, as it always does, in all the air ducts which will cause the main safety to blow causing the problem you described.You need a multi-meter to find which safety has blown. You will have to take it all apart and clean the drier out thoroughly or it is all for nothing. Every air duct will have to be removed and scraped and washed out to remove baked on lint deposits which bakes on like a concrete lining. This will burn so the manufacturer has installed the safeties to keep from having a house fire. The safeties are oval-shaped with a round center part containing the safety with two plug-on terminals for the wires and when they burn open, from the dryer being dirty, nothing will work or it will not heat. Using an ohm meter you put a lead on each terminal of the safety, with one wire unplugged, and if it is good you will have a reading of about zero; if it is bad it will read infinity. Driers were the number one cause of fires at one time, hence now we have safety fuses. Look at: How to clean your clothes dryer. How to make it hot again. - YouTube to see how. Also look at these to get an idea about how to clean it: Mr. Appliance Tips: How to Clean Your Dryer - YouTube ; Cleaning a Dryer Vent and Lint Trap - YouTube
    Electric Clothes Dryers Dryer vent cleaning prevents fires - YouTube and: Cleaning out a dryer with top lint cleanout - YouTube
    Cleaning out a dryer: By a woman 2 of 2 - YouTube
    When you finish cleaning the drier it is best to also replace the belt, too, because you do not want to have to disassemble it all over again and if the belt is over two years old you should replace it.

Note that on most of the videos it does not show them washing out the parts, but this is important because it's the only way to really get the parts clean, just don't get motor wet or the capacitor if it has one. Vacuum out the motor to remove all dust. I would move the drier out to your garage to have plenty of space to work. You also want to check your vent and clean it, also. The vent should have a short run and be straight as possible. The job is really easier than it sounds. There is no shortcut that will work; it has to be cleaned well. Before you re-assemble it make sure to use white lithium grease (high-temp grease) and grease all bearings. Just vacuuming out the dryer a little does no good. Here are instructions on using a meter: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/How...e%20Manual.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Dryer does not dry in Auto Dry mode [ 23 Answers ]

My Maytag dryer works well in the Timed Dry mode but in the Auto Dry mode it runs forever and does not dry well. In the Timed Dry mode it produces plenty of heat and works fine. What is happening in the Auto Dry mode that does not make the heat properly get to a level that allows the clothes to...

Maytag dryer heating element wiring schematic [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Maytag dryer model#SDE5401AYW and it quit heating. We purchased a new heating element and went to hook it up but we have two gray wires that come from the wire harness at the motor that we have no clue where they go. My father-in-law took out the old heating element and didn't mark the...

Maytag dryer runs too hot [ 5 Answers ]

Maytag dryer runs too hot. Does not seem to go to cool down cycle even on Perm Press setting. Where can I find an electrical schematic?

Maytag gas dryer [ 2 Answers ]

My maytag dryer, model ldg482 runs but the heat does not come on. The igniter comes on but the gas doesn't ignite. Any suggestions?? The owners manual is totally useless and I'm reluctant to call in a service man to look at it since I have a complete tool shop and all tools to do anything.

Older Maytag dryer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

We have an older Maytag dryer that will start one out of three times. Sometimes, it will chug like a car that won't turn over. We really don't want to have to buy a new dryer, so if there is a cheaper alternative please help!

View more questions Search