Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    log Posts: 93, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2019, 04:18 PM
    Drywall disaster or not!?
    My drywaller installed drywall in the bathroom as we speak and will not tape edges or corners. Has maybe 3 inch holes from cuts and says that they will be covered with thinset upon tiling and grout.
    Give me your input on how it should be done. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions. Or is this all normal?
    This is just driving me crazy!
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Mar 6, 2019, 05:03 PM
    What did you hire him for, was he hired to hang, Mud and tape, or is he hired to do the entire bathroom; lay the Tile, install shower bathtub etc.? I think you'll be alright if he is the Guy you hired to complete the entire bathroom as a whole.

If he is to simply do the drywall, mud and tape: I would pay him for hanging the drywall...and get him outa there. You might want to think twice, having him mud and tape. But yes, If he was hired to only do the mud and taping he should complete the project...including mud tape and sand.

Mar 6, 2019, 05:10 PM
    I hired him to do the whole bathroom renovation

Isn't he supposed to be taping the seams and edges?

Mar 6, 2019, 05:50 PM
    He might be taping and tiling as he goes.

If he isn't on the tile yet...

Yes, all seams should be taped. I assume he will be taping and tiling at the same time.
    At this point you shouldn't see any untapped seams that aren't going to have tile place over them.
    sometimes they leave the corners untreated that will probably be fine, because that seam won't split the center of a tile.

I always tape and mud the seams. but it's more important to fill all voids to give the shower a tight enclosure yes ,more importantly it gives you 100 % surface glue contact for tile adhesion " better to glue to solid surface than a void

If you find out he doesn't use tape you can request he tape all seams.
    This should not be that difficult. Pack in thinset, lay on the tape, and flat-knife to get it set in. In the corners, use a corner knife.

Mar 6, 2019, 06:00 PM
    Lol nope he already has some tile up now

Mar 6, 2019, 06:19 PM
    In that case I wouldn't worry about it. It's not critical.

Mar 6, 2019, 08:54 PM
    I'm worried more about water damage in the future

Mar 6, 2019, 10:15 PM
    That being the case, Tape or no tape is not a factor.

Mar 7, 2019, 12:05 PM
    The bigger question is, should I be worried of future water damage?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2019, 01:02 PM
    Drywall will not stop water, it merely dissolves. The tape or no tape will not do anything about water. Although a proper job would have been taped.

The issue of water is all in the tile and how it is sealed

Mar 7, 2019, 01:06 PM
    Ok,well I'll hope for the best. Thanks for your help guys!
    Keep you posted if things occur!

Mar 7, 2019, 01:12 PM
    If your worried about the lack of tape (tape applied to the seams) being the root cause for any water damage in the future... need not worry.
    Some people do not apply tape.
    Tape is used to give seams a "little" more strength.
    It is Mesh tape... it's filled with holes.

Relax, allow the man to do his work unobserved.
    Better you bring him Coffee and the like ;-)

Mar 7, 2019, 08:12 PM
    I think I'm jumping way ahead of myself.
    Lol I'll take your advice. Now around the tub, what do you recommend?
    I used the denshield, but same idea he says no need for any kind of tape or water proof on corners.
    What do u think?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrying Drywall Two builders carry a sheet of drywall up a ramp. [ 0 Answers ]

Carrying Drywall Two builders carry a sheet of drywall up a ramp. Assume that W = 2.00 m, L = 3.20 m, θ = 25.0°, and that the lead builder carries a (vertical) weight of 155.0 N (34.8 lb). What is the (vertical) weight carried by the builder at the rear? (in N) The builder at the rear...

Repair drywall seam around shower stall-some mold in drywall [ 3 Answers ]

Paint on drywall seam --10 in .that surromds ouside od shower stall has cracked. Pulling it off I discovered the mesh drywall tape below showed no signs of mud and was on top of dryall which now has developed a 6 in length of mold--- Painter 3-years ago did not do proper job-what to do?

New drywall meets old painted/textured drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I am finally finished with a 10 foot addition to the 2 bedrooms at the front of my home. Once the additional was final on the exterior, ie: masonry walls, roof framing, sheathing, etc. I was left with the final task of removing the original exterior mas. Wall down to the floorline. Once this was...

How we think disaster [ 1 Answers ]

Help, I have to do a book report on "How We Think" by John Dewey. I don't have time to read the book. Can't find cliff notes or a summary. The audio version is off the markert does anyone have ideas.

Oh my! My dye job is a disaster! HELP! [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so I used Garnier Nutrisse Cream (Almond Creme), my hair was already light brown/dark blond to begin with but I wanted to lighten it up a bit which it said it should do, well it did for my roots (2 inches) they came out almost reddy/blonde the rest is darker brown! What can I do to make my...

View more questions Search