Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tina62 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Air conditioner runs a lot
    My central air conditioner has been running for over 3 hours and the temp outside is in the 90's but I have the thermostat set at 79 and the temp is going up instead of down. I went outside to see if the fan is blowing hot or cold and it isn't hot. I was told it was suppose to be hot air the fan on the outside unit does. Could it be the thermostat or do I need to have someone look at our unit. It is almost 10 years old. Please help me.
    Tina
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Do I need to have someone look at our unit

YES

The outside unit should be blowing hotter air that the outside temperature
    tina62 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 06:25 PM
    I rinsed the coils and pushed the red pressure button and it is cooling the house, Finally coming down. The fan is also blowing hot air now. Could I have fixed it? Or should I still have someone look at it.
    Thanks
    Tina
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Cleaning the coils is the first step. Perhaps you have taken care of the problem. If the unit stops working properly and the coils are clean (indoor and outdoor) then you may consider calling someone. Keep the filters clean as well.

Good Luck
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 09:56 PM
    I hope it works for you but just rinsing the coils usually will not work. The coils need to be cleaned completely.
    The unit will start and hopefully run for awhile until the water is gone and the heat of the day catches up to it. What ever you do don't keep hitting the red reset all the time instead of fixing it correctly.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air-Conditioner Compressor runs, No cool air [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Our Amana 8709088812 was working well. The cool air stopped but the compressor stayed on. We called a repair person and they replaced a fan. It worked for a short time and the same thing happened so they came back and replaced a second fan. They said there is a fan for intake and one for...

Air conditioner runs 8 hours without shutting off [ 22 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a new condo for my son. The condo is on the 16th floor (very top floor) and is 805 sq ft with open floor plan - kitchen, living room with wood floors, bedroom, and small bath. The windows face East. The walls and floors are concrete. The floor covering in the LR is...

Water Gurgling Sound when AIr Conditioner Runs [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 2-year old heat pump and just today we notice the sound of gurgling water in our basement shower drain when the air conditioner runs. The sound is NOT heard in any of the other drains in the house. What could be causing this sound?

Central air conditioner runs for over 1 hour before kicking off is this normal? [ 1 Answers ]

My central air conditioner Heat pump just started running for over an hour before kicking off and only cools 1 degree.. we had thermostat replaced 2 days before this started happening... what should we do?

Window Air Conditioner fan runs when you turn it off. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Hampton Bay AC (110 v) window AC unit with a fan that continues to run after you turn the power switch to off. It runs for 4-5 minutes after you switch it "off", then the fan turns off. It has never done this before, so I know it isn't proper operation. The lights on the LED display...

View more questions Search