Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MelindaR Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Toilet drain pipe broken!
    My husband removed a toilet today, it was leaking sewage on the floor and into the other room. When we pulled the toilet off, we knew why. The flange came with the toilet when we pulled it off along with some of the drain pipe. Clearly the pipe has been broken for some time. The flange was almost completel degraded and is a pile of rust.

Now, the drain pipe is jagged and below floor level in some places. We are on a concrete slab. This is a basement half bath. How is this repaired? Can a flange that's inserted into the drain pipe instead of over it be purchased? I really don't know how to solve the problem without major destruction - jackhammer to the foundation. I also don't know how to repair a broken or extend a broken drain pipe that rests partially below a foundation. So, I'd love your advice on this one!! I need to extend the drain pipe or come up with some type of workaround for a broken drain pipe that is partially below the concrete surface where the flange would be attached...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2006, 07:02 AM
    Hi Melinda,

There may be a way to work around this without getting into major surgery but I need more details. Cast iron pipe and flange? How far under the floor line is the pipe broken back to? Please describe, in detail, exactly how the break looks, a picture would be nice.
    If we find out the cement will have to come up and the broken pipe and flange replaced do you have the necessary skills to do the job if I give you instructions on how to do it? Waiting on your answer, Tom

Jul 30, 2006, 07:36 AM
    The flange appears to be PVC or other plastic material. The drain pipe is PVC. The break is jagged, some of the pipe is nearly flush (I might have an 1/8 of an inch to work with) and some is a half inch above the ground. I'm going to clean out around the pipe to see exactly how much space I have to work with. I have attached photos of the flange with the broken pipe inside and the floor with the two views of the PVC drain pipe. I don't know if I have the skills to pull the cement up because I've never done it, but replacing a flange and wax seal, no problem. THANK YOU for taking the time!
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2006, 12:21 PM
    HI Melinda,

I might just have the answer. A deep throat flange, (see image) that will fit over the outside of the 3" pipe that's broken. Click on; http://www.plumbingsupply.com/toiletflanges.html
    To check them out. Good luck, Tom

Jul 30, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Thank you, Tom. Unfortunately, nothing is going to fit over the pipe because it's broken off so low. There'd not be a good seal between the drain pipe and flange. I was considering an "inside flange" one that goes inside of the drain pipe instead of around it, but I've heard that it should only be a last resort :(

Jul 30, 2006, 01:18 PM
    Tom, one more thing. On the site you sent me, I found a flange that will fit inside of a 3 inch ABS pipe. The only problem I can anticipate with this is whether it will be high enough once I insert it... says it's not code in most areas, but I plan on living in this house most of my life. Now, if this will work, the only question which is as to whether I have PVC or ABS, guess I need to look at the pipe more closely...
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MelindaR
    Thank you, Tom. Unfortunately, nothing is going to fit over the pipe because it's broken off so low. There'd not be a good seal between the drain pipe and flange. I was considering an "inside flange" one that goes inside of the drain pipe instead of around it, but I've heard that it should only be a last resort :(

From the pictures you've sent I can see only a 1 1/2 to 2" or raiser that has broken off. A deep 4X3 flange that fits over the 3" PVC raiser should do the trick. Please point me to the place that gives you a ABS flange, (you have PVC) that fits INSIDE a 3" pipe. I can see no problem in digging out around the PVC raiser and installing a 4 X 3" deep flange. What am I missing here? Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken bathtub drain - PVC near slab [ 2 Answers ]

During replacing a bathtub, the drain pipe got caugt on the tub and it broke the PCV joint near the slab. The coupling broke, but the PCV piece that comes in through the slab fully intact. However, it is still glued into half of the coupling. There does not appear to be enough room to cut and...

Bathtub drain broken under slab - HELP! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1975 single level home built on a flat slab with NO crawl space. The tub drain has apparently broken and when the tub drains you can hear it hitting the fill dirt below. The walls are tiled. Unknowingly this has been going on for sometime now and the house has settled on one end w/...

Help needed with broken toilet flush [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with my temperamental toilet flush? I'm not good with terminology but I'll try my best to explain! After flushing my toilet, the pump mechanism often doesn't re-descend into its hole. It flushes OK, but the next time you need to flush, the handle needs...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

Broken pipe in wall [ 1 Answers ]

:'( Trying to fix clogged drains. While unscrewing pipe fitting from wall, pipe cracked. Lots of buildup in the grooves. Trying to replace the fitting and it won't fit due to grooves not being clean. What 's the best way to clean the grooves. Been "chipping" at it for 2 days... we are out both...

View more questions Search